Things an adult should know how to do without Youtube

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
2. Back a trailer, I'm not talking about a train of hay wagons none of which have fixed front axels, just a single trailer, hooked to the bumper, receiver, or 5th wheel of a tow vehicle.

Try backing an empty jet ski trailer that you cannot see thru your rear window or in your side mirrors until it is almost jackknifed. It's a very humbling experience.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if someone said this forgive me for the repeat
check your blinker fluid
drive shaft belt
be able to make a tie instead of just leaving it to put on for the next time

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try backing an empty jet ski trailer that you cannot see thru your rear window or in your side mirrors until it is almost jackknifed. It's a very humbling experience.

Same with small boat trailers, You can't steer what you can't see. Get a couple of those fiberglass sticks and mount on the far rear of the trailer. Watched it this summer and noticed people that have trouble don't drive ahead far enough to get a "strait shot" at the ramp so they are fighting it all the way down to the water. I hardly turn the wheel backing down the ramp if I get a good straight shot at it.

Best way to learn how to back a trailer is find a road with no traffic and back up using your mirrors until your brain picks up on what way to turn the steering wheels when using mirrors. Then make sure you get a straight shot at the ramp next time and you will think it's easy peasy.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same with small boat trailers, You can't steer what you can't see. Get a couple of those fiberglass sticks and mount on the far rear of the trailer. Watched it this summer and noticed people that have trouble don't drive ahead far enough to get a "strait shot" at the ramp so they are fighting it all the way down to the water. I hardly turn the wheel backing down the ramp if I get a good straight shot at it.

Best way to learn how to back a trailer is find a road with no traffic and back up using your mirrors until your brain picks up on what way to turn the steering wheels when using mirrors. Then make sure you get a straight shot at the ramp next time and you will think it's easy peasy.

It was a one shot deal. I was volunteered to help a lady friend load her jet ski at the end of Labor Day weekend after her husband went back to GF. The ramp at the narrows and the road going by were busy and I didn't get the trailer straight behind me, so yah I was fighting it all the way.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Completely agree, once you see it in the mirror, you're WAY too late. I'm not sure I could see a single-wide jet-ski trailer with my tarp rolled up and tailgate down, might have to take the tailgate off completely.

You don't start off learning with the most difficult style of trailer to back, nor do you go to the boat ramp on a busy day to practice. Now we're back to that common courtesy/sense that others have so wisely mentioned.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go slower and use your mirrors more rather than turning to look. I'm not saying a person needs to be fast nor be able to parallel park the damned thing. But, one should be able to slowly back a trailer into a spot or down a ramp that 2x-3x wider than the trailer.

I'm actually astonished nobody's copped to not being able to run a ratchet-strap. I've seen an awful lot of folks that let the ratchet strap make them look like they belong behind bars getting in turd-fights with the other monkeys.

If the tag end of the ratchet-strap is whipping in the wind, you're in the monkey cage as well.

This has got to be the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go slower and use your mirrors more rather than turning to look. I'm not saying a person needs to be fast nor be able to parallel park the damned thing. But, one should be able to slowly back a trailer into a spot or down a ramp that 2x-3x wider than the trailer.

I'm actually astonished nobody's copped to not being able to run a ratchet-strap. I've seen an awful lot of folks that let the ratchet strap make them look like they belong behind bars getting in turd-fights with the other monkeys.

If the tag end of the ratchet-strap is whipping in the wind, you're in the monkey cage as well.

Them fkn things are shitty design, maybe it's the cheap ones I have, but I've used good ones with no problem.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Hook the hooks to whatever you're strapping down.

2. Ratchet arm facing you

3. Long strap comes in from the back.

4. Tag end goes out the top if you want the tag end above the strap, out the bottom if you want the tag end behind/below the strap

5. Pull the tag end tight by hand, then ratchet to desired final tightness.

6. Fold the ratchet arm down flat, folded over the spool

7. Secure the tag end. Nite-Eyes gear ties are wonderful. Wire, zip ties, or half-dozen bread sack twist-ties run together will all work.

8. When you get where you're going, open the ratchet arm fully, should be ~180 degrees from the closed position, and it should "lock" open, this will allow the spool to run free, unless you ratcheted up the strap into the gears, in which case, back to the monkey cage for you.

If you've got your fingers or thumbs buried inside trying to hold both ratchet-locks open rather than opening the ratchet arm to the 180 lock, well, you deserve whatever happens to your fingers......

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you under the assumption that ratchet-straps are "single-use"? We're talking ratchet-straps, not zip-ties.
You reuse em?

Then they are all dirty and wrapped up goofy and riding in the back of your rig getting in the way every time.

Easier to just toss em and keep an extra pack handy.

bilbo

Honored Member

I have a small utility trailer that is like this when the ramp isn't on it. Can't see it until it's almost sideways. Plus it's so short it goes from turning to jackknifed in 3 feet.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Amazed sometimes at how some folks do struggle to back a trailer...that's not a small jet ski trailer! My old man had a little 6ft utility trailer that we used for hauling small stuff. He taught me how to drive in his 72 Plymouth Satellite...it had the 318 in it so he also pulled our 19ft camper with it...had a hitch mounted to it. Anyway, he taught me how to back trailers using the little utility trailer before he'd let me pull the camper. Couldn't see the thing with the side mirrors but he had a set of those old extendy mirrors that he put on the Plymouth when pulling the camper. He put those on for me and I could see the edges of the little trailer. So I learned from the beginning to use side mirrors when backing. But I see people at the ramp all the time turning their heads crazy looking over their shoulder...why? But like Davey said...if you're at a ramp with lot's of room, why not pull far enough forward so you are lined up...very little steering input required as you back down. Some ramps tight...gotta make some turns. Best backing jobs I've ever done involved parking a boat or camper back home or on side streets with parked vehicles everywhere...that's where you earn your PhD in backing!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Folks with backing trailer up issues,new trucks (ford & gm) have built in trailer backing up app built in,nice big display screen on your dash,no more tweeking your neck looking back and heaven forbid using exterior mirrors ...easy peezy.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You forgot #9 (saying to yourself "that aint goin anywhere")
1. Hook the hooks to whatever you're strapping down.

2. Ratchet arm facing you

3. Long strap comes in from the back.

4. Tag end goes out the top if you want the tag end above the strap, out the bottom if you want the tag end behind/below the strap

5. Pull the tag end tight by hand, then ratchet to desired final tightness.

6. Fold the ratchet arm down flat, folded over the spool

7. Secure the tag end. Nite-Eyes gear ties are wonderful. Wire, zip ties, or half-dozen bread sack twist-ties run together will all work.

8. When you get where you're going, open the ratchet arm fully, should be ~180 degrees from the closed position, and it should "lock" open, this will allow the spool to run free, unless you ratcheted up the strap into the gears, in which case, back to the monkey cage for you.

If you've got your fingers or thumbs buried inside trying to hold both ratchet-locks open rather than opening the ratchet arm to the 180 lock, well, you deserve whatever happens to your fingers......

That guy

Honored Member
You need to mount flag poles on each side one side with a Trump flag and the other with a rainbow flag. You will have everyone scratching their head trying to figure out your politics and you will see your trailer.;)

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Folks with backing trailer up issues,new trucks (ford & gm) have built in trailer backing up app built in,nice big display screen on your dash,no more tweeking your neck looking back and heaven forbid using exterior mirrors ...easy peezy.

Snow...if I had a truck with one of those new fancy backing doohickeys...not sure I'd trust it!

- - - Updated - - -

You need to mount flag poles on each side one side with a Trump flag and the other with a rainbow flag. You will have everyone scratching their head trying to figure out your politics and you will see your trailer.;)

That made me laugh out loud!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

I prefer not to use it but great for the wife. You enter several dimensions from your trailer and put a checkerboard sticker on the tongue that the rear camera uses. Even for backing straight back it will adjust to keep the trailer perfectly straight.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Aaaaannnnnnnddd someone else understands the greater purpose of the OP. Well Done!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75