22 LR Ammo

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been shooting my Ruger SR22 alot with Remington 22 Thunderbolt with no problems. Changed over to Winchester HV 36 gr HP and right away it started jamming seems like the HP bullet design is such that it hits the top of the chamber every other time.

Anyone else have similar gun and similar problems with HP bullets?

Thanks for any response.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
No issues here,But .22 ammo is in short supply like all caliburs these days use what you have sparingly,no end in sight either,maybe after the election?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Upon further examination the nose on the hollow points are somewhat flat and the looking at the shells that didn't chamber there is a small nick in the lead. So no hollow points in this gun. I am going to have to try them in my Mark III. And in the 10/22.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't had any problems in either of ours.
We bought 2 of them the same day about 6-8 years ago.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you ever see RWS 40grn HV HP grimace a bit and pay up. Beautiful ammo. Groups as well out of my bolt gun as CCI Target or Eley Club (quite the price gap there!). Chiming in because IME/O 36grn loads are shit in a few ways no matter the brand and stock automatics prefer higher pressure of HV. BTW: The velocity difference in my above loads is approx. 1070 v/s 1260. More useless info: Olympic shooters eschew HV ammo for fear of the slug passing transonic before impact.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never shot that variety. Their subsonics group well for me. Never heard anything negative about Aguila ammo. Consistency is the keyword IMHO. Lots of good stuff on utube.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any one use Aguila 22 Super Extra LR? Did buy one box. That was all limited to one person. Yes 22 LR are hard to find.

Not that particular load but I bought a bunch of Aguila Interceptor. 40 grain pill with a little extra velocity on it. Shoots very well in my 10/22 and my Remington 597. Alot less drop at 100 yards then standard velocity ammo. Powder smoke smells different after firing.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not that particular load but I bought a bunch of Aguila Interceptor. 40 grain pill with a little extra velocity on it. Shoots very well in my 10/22 and my Remington 597. Alot less drop at 100 yards then standard velocity ammo. Powder smoke smells different after firing.

That's the British priming alchemy.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you ever see RWS 40grn HV HP grimace a bit and pay up. Beautiful ammo. Groups as well out of my bolt gun as CCI Target or Eley Club (quite the price gap there!). Chiming in because IME/O 36grn loads are shit in a few ways no matter the brand and stock automatics prefer higher pressure of HV. BTW: The velocity difference in my above loads is approx. 1070 v/s 1260. More useless info: Olympic shooters eschew HV ammo for fear of the slug passing transonic before impact.

Additional reading has weakened my prejudice within standard chamber measurement and standard twist (1/16) . My group standard has always been achieved with a 40grn slug @50. IMO lighter bullets are usually economical for the factory and a novelty for the shooter.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76