Shotgun issue

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually hunt pheasants with a 20 semi until really late in the year.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a beretta - i dont know what model number - but i have never had a jam. Did you clean the hole the gas goes through? Your not shooting some shitty reloads or some low base silver winchester bullshit.

clean er hole and den put in tree inch fiiiokies golden pheasant and den let me know how she chuuuttts

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a beretta - i dont know what model number - but i have never had a jam. Did you clean the hole the gas goes through? Your not shooting some shitty reloads or some low base silver winchester bullshit.

clean er hole and den put in tree inch fiiiokies golden pheasant and den let me know how she chuuuttts

Pass me a 20ga w/1oz of #5's.

Lately more often than not, its the shotgun in the pic:

20ga and 223.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

totally cleaned and went through every inch including gas ports. And was shooting heavy loads in it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed with you guyz bird hunting with semi's,states where legal pull the plug,late season when the birds are grouped,birds are jumpy,couple guyz along that can't hit shit,20-30 birds start flushing outof a plum thicket(enter nebraska or kansas) or cattails and pound away,good dog comes in handy....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just looked back @ pics. I believe the last time I shot a pheasant with a 12ga was 2013.

Pass me the 20ga, 1oz of #5's and no more than an IC choke please.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just looked back @ pics. I believe the last time I shot a pheasant with a 12ga was 2013.

Pass me the 20ga, 1oz of #5's and no more than an IC choke please.
Exactly what i shoot

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep

and M2 is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

also - I’m choosier when it comes to taking shots in my older age

long range shots that result in a dropped leg and watching it fly for a mile over a hill make me nauseous now - thinking of the waste and the misery factor for that bird

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member

Same here. Mine's 391. I know some parts need oil, some grease, and some nothing at all or they'll gum up and
won't work properly.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I see a guy pull out a fancy O/U I automatically assume he wont be hitting anything. 95% of the time, I'm right every time.

I've just never quite understood why I wouldn't want another shell while hunting. Used that third shell more times than I can count.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea nothing screams city slicker more than an O/U

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer....lol ,that and the slicker with dog whistles on his lanyard,my younger days I would look for these guyz late season afield,dumb asses roll out of they're fancy suv,slam truck doors coughing yelling,blowing the damn whistle mean while birds flushing 200 yards away,me standing down wind,taking it all in ,whacking the coasters as they flew by...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer....lol ,that and the slicker with dog whistles on his lanyard,my younger days I would look for these guyz late season afield,dumb asses roll out of they're fancy suv,slam truck doors coughing yelling,blowing the damn whistle mean while birds flushing 200 yards away,me standing down wind,taking it all in ,whacking the coasters as they flew by...
We must be hunting the same places lol

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh eyexer doesn't shoot a o/u or sxs,he's a meat hunter like most here,bought my first o/u when I got serious shooting trap,other than a couple nights with the boyz before hunting season started,dang semi auto barrel got so hot after a dozen rounds had heat waves distorting my shots,others claimed the same,so after eye balling a few different brands and after entering registerd trap shooting I landed on a browning sporting clays citori as it was the only o/u with a 3" chamber,figured it would be my backup if needed wilst on hunting trips,trap guyz laughed at it me and poor man's trap shotgun,that was 20 years ago and it never seen a day afield,just a range shotgun,few tweaks like trigger pull weight,mercury recoil reducer,Lop for my long arms ,after market extended chokes and it served me well until I bought a real trap shotgun,browning still does good for sporting clays,trap became to expensive to keep in the game,10k to 15k rounds every year in practice rds plus another 10k rds in registerd shoot /competition's,never had one issue with it,solid work horse.

So north dakota has a 3 shell limit for upland but not doves? am I reading this right?

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok so a few years ago my dad invited me and my son to meet him at a hunting lodge. Twenty five of his city slicker buddies were all going to this lodge for three day’s of pheasant hunting. It looked like a secret service convention with all the suburbans lol. They all had expensive double dog kennels in back. All short hairs. I had my pointing lab. They hate labs. So we hit the first crp quarter. Holy fuck you would have thought you were in a marching band with whistles going non stop and fifteen shorthairs running around like their nuts are on fire. Running by birds like they were hunting sheep or something. My lab was just plugging along smelling everything and then locking up on birds. First couple times those guys laughed until I walked over there and she jumped on the bird and flushed it out. Day two rolls along and only half the dogs were taken out lol. Pissed off dog owners not wanting to have to blow on their damn whistle all day. Long story short my lab put on a damn clinic and slept in the back seat or the truck between fields lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try like heck not to use any voice commands afield. Birds don't seem to mind the whistle and IMO/IME the whistle cuts the wind better than a voice does, however, I don't whistle Beethoven's Fifth either.

Doggie 3 is reasonably hip to the whistle, or at least he has been on ruffed and sharp-tailed grouse. We'll see how things go when he gets some sniffs of "Puppy Cocaine" AKA pheasants come this weekend.

41C78726-BF69-40EC-97BD-F6E0DE3C11C9.jpg

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My shock collar has a beep on it that’s all I need to use if she strays a little far. She sound right around and comes back a ways and keeps hunting

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76