Shotgun issue

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My shock collar has a beep on it that’s all I need to use if she strays a little far. She sound right around and comes back a ways and keeps hunting

Right now doggie 3 wears the E-collar when hunting. However, I haven't turned it on and don't carry the remote. I want him to associate the collar w/funtime, not a correction. I'll probably wait until next summer before I introduce tone, vibrate, or stimulation.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a wireless fence at home so she has known a beep means get your ass back a ways for a long time lol.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed eyexer,tone mostly when pup gets selective hearing at my home wilst on trianing runs,he knows what's coming next if he ignor's but damn he still tests the limits at 8 years old,I don't lite him up to much when needed just a slight nick,well my ole lady begs to differ when I had her hold the collar ...gotta love a blonde swede,they'll try anything....

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right now doggie 3 wears the E-collar when hunting. However, I haven't turned it on and don't carry the remote. I want him to associate the collar w/funtime, not a correction. I'll probably wait until next summer before I introduce tone, vibrate, or stimulation.

Why would you not turn it on and carry the remote? Being its just a pup, chasing deer get after a skunk chasing after a flying bird.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you not turn it on and carry the remote? Being its just a pup, chasing deer get after a skunk chasing after a flying bird.

He's VERY soft and I don't want to discourage anything to do with birds at this point. Chasing flying birds hasn't been a problem, and if it becomes a problem, I'll hook him up on a check cord. I'm not terribly worried about him chasing deer as again, we've flushed a few and come across lots of beds and he only takes a passing interest in them. I guess we'll deal with skunks and porcupines as we encounter them.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
All short hairs. I had my pointing lab. They hate labs. So we hit the first crp quarter. Holy fuck you would have thought you were in a marching band with whistles going non stop and fifteen shorthairs running around like their nuts are on fire. Running by birds like they were hunting sheep or something.

No bashing shorthairs!!!!!! You always need to run a shorthair by the truck prior to hunting about 3 miles. Labs they are meant for retrieving!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

PS a shorthair associates a shock collar as the best thing vs sliced bread. If i put on a shock collar mine knew it was hunting time.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes shorthairs are long winded, and will hunt all day and the Lab will be walking next to the hunter. I ran them both at the same time and my 58 lb Lab was no match to my 70 lb Shorthair. He didnt knw how to quit. I said watching him was like watching magic. His head up in the air running, and when his head went down he was on a bird.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a lab is dumb enough to try and run with a shorthair he’s toast. But good labs don’t and don’t need to. Especially pointing labs. They’re methodical. Number one screw up I see people make hunting pheasants is thinking it’s a race. Trying to keep up with their dogs. Slow it all down. Make the dog slow down and use their nose instead of running all over the damn place hoping to run over one. Bird don’t get skiddish then either. And your shots are way better and kill percentage goes way the hell up. Don’t get me wrong I’ve hunted behind some good shorthairs but they were good because they had good owners/trainers. But it’s been like one out of ten. I won’t own one simply because I don’t have the time or patience to train one right now. And keep him trained. The last couple labs I’ve had spoiled me. My lab isn’t worth a shit on waterfowl lol. In fact wouldn’t swim until a couple months ago. Now she loves the water but I hadn’t had her out on water yet on a hunt. She just doesn’t like to sit still. Doesn’t like to be pet if you can believe that. She always wants to be out sniffing and looking at things. Probably because she’s a pointer and she really only hunted pheasants first two years of her life. I’m going to try to get her on a water hunt this year though

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doggie 3 is another English Cocker. I'm doing what I can to make him a scent hunter rather than a sight hunter.

Doggie 1 used his nose more than his eyes. He was methodical and often found birds that other dogs ran by. He'd mark a bird down then go put his nose on the ground to try and find it for the retrieve. One could saunter behind him at a gentlemanly pace. He paid attention to where I was and rarely hunted more than ~20-25yds out. He knew in open prairie like hunting sharptails that ranging out a bit and covering more ground was OK. And, he knew that when hunting thick cover, he needed to be more methodical, cover the ground well and hunt closer.

Doggie 2 used his eyes more than doggie 1 and wasn't really whistle-trained. Doggie 2 would jump into cover where he saw a downed bird fall, then hop around trying to flush the bird again rather than putting his nose down and picking up the bird. Not always, but, often enough that it was annoying. Doggie 2 took more "management" than doggie 1 did.

Both 1 and 2 also completed some in-cattail retrieves I didn't expect them to make. Both 1 and 2 occasionally got on running birds, lost their mind and lined out for flushes that were WAY out of range. In both cases, they were an asset to the hunt rather than a detriment/hindrance.

It's too early to tell how #3 will turn out. I'm letting him slow down to work out anything he smells that excites him. As he gets older and more experienced I'm hoping he stops getting "birdy" on things like mice, squirrels, and frogs. :;:huh So, I'm encouraging the nose use and so far what he sees hasn't been an issue with the exception of a jackrabbit that flushed @ my toenails. When he came back after chasing the rabbit I hooked him up on the short-leash attached to my belt until we got to the next bit of cover I wanted him to work.

If I have to introduce the collar this fall, I will. But, I want him wearing it a bit 1st so that the collar itself isn't the ultimate reason that he listens or he doesn't.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how they know,but dog's know when a pleasant run's at least all of mine did/do,I rarely hunt standing corn,but a dirty corn cut corn field is a jackpot when found,but send the pup in next thing ya know the foot race is on.no slowing pup down either so in my old age late season runner's I accept I can't run/keep up so out comes 3" copper plated #4's,big crp fields is another,dang birds get to running and head to the highest point then jump up. Its all fun tho,getting a few birds is great but watching you're pup work,scenery is the best.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I get more of a kick out of watching the dog than anything.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's VERY soft and I don't want to discourage anything to do with birds at this point. Chasing flying birds hasn't been a problem, and if it becomes a problem, I'll hook him up on a check cord. I'm not terribly worried about him chasing deer as again, we've flushed a few and come across lots of beds and he only takes a passing interest in them. I guess we'll deal with skunks and porcupines as we encounter them.

I would and do carry mine even though he VERY rarely needs to be corrected with an actual shock. Mostly for the dog's safety, running after birds is one thing, but taking an interest in a rattle snake or badger is something entirely different and I want a way to pull him off in a hurry if there's a danger to the dog.

Plus, I use a GPS collar, so while hunting in rough terrain, I know where he is even while he's out of visual line of sight. Granted, your dog probably tends to stay a little closer than what's expected of a GSP.

One good thing about a gentle dog is that they will often just sit there and let you pull quills. I had to do that last year with my GSP. We had just flushed some grouse out of a pocket of brush by accident, and then he got anxious to go in and I thought there might be a bird or two remaining. Nope, damn quill carrier is what he found. He received about 60 in his face, mouth, and chest. But he sat right there and let me pull every single damn one of them. It'll be interesting to see if he learned anything from the experience.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
what happened to the shotgun that was broken? did it get fixed

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
probably should. Want a new Retay anyway lol
I have a Retay and it is pretty nice. Wish it would have better shock absorption like the SBE 2 or 3 when shooting heavy or 3.5” loads.

I would really like one of their 20 gauge shotguns

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of Retay, so I went to their website. Why on earth do gun companies insist on building guns on the E Coast? Maryland, Really?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea that’s a good question. And apparently the guy that started retay was a former engineer for Benelli. Left benelli and when their patent expired he used some of their technology along with some fixes for some of their issues. Like the bolt not fully seating. But they’re really light weight and kick like a mule I guess. Be a nice pheasant gun with light loads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74