New deer rifle?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a chance to shoot my buddies 6.5 creedmoore yesterday,was impressed but what do I know as I don't rifle hunt except varmits,we zero'd this 6.5 @400yds,sure is a flat shootin some beech with a 143gr nozz,buddy is heading out for a wyo trophy muley this weekend

any of you check this baby out yet,its said this 6.5 is replacing the proven .308...curious

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was with a buddy that hunted speed goats last weekend. He was shooting a 6.5x300 weatherby. That is a lethal load.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy said he went on a praire dog shoot last summer,made 1000yd kill shots in lite breeze,3 to 1 kills over a .243 at long range.

The 6.5 bullet is uniquely suited to long-range shooting, with excellent ballistic coefficients. The Creedmoor is highly efficient, requiring less powder to do the same job as other 6.5s. While the cartridge has spiked in popularity, given its capabilities, it should continue to be among America's favorites.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Creedmoor family of cartridges has been and will continue to be the most effective launch of a new chambering to date. First and foremost, they started with a cartridge that doesn't rattle your fillings on every shot. Then they got the magazine OAL capacity and chamber dimensions in harmony while also looking @ where projectile R&D was going in order to get the twist correct not only for current offerings, but, also projectiles they assumed would come in the future. Now, the popularity has soared because it's easy to shoot well. As such, the price to shoot it will continue to fall as the volume of ammo loaded for it rises. The relatively low cost to shoot the rifle means more shooting, more practice, which makes people better shooters, some of which they'll attribute to the chambering.

Remington could've accomplished very similar results with the 7-08 and 260, but, they didn't execute like Hornady/Ruger did. Remington didn't do anything to meld the chambers to the mag-OAL capacity, nor did they do anything regarding twist rates, opting to continue to use the same twist mandrels they were already using in .264 and .284. Remington used the model: If we build it, they will come. Hornady/Ruger said, "What are people paying gunsmiths big $$ to build that we can replicate and commercialize?"

I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other about the Creedmoor family of cartridges with the exception that they are a case-study of the best executed product launch and ongoing support that the firearms industry has seen probably since the 30-06. The only other product in the last 30+ years that's even close is the hand-held/binoc-combo LRF.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great for kids and gals but otherwise slow and boring.

- - - Updated - - -

But they will do the trick on deer very well I would imagine.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a new 6.5 creedmoor Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech. Topped her with a 6-24x50 vortex. Since the first round, it's been a dream to shoot. Call it what you want, I enjoy shooting the gun.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are very popular and low recoil so I get it. I will prolly get one someday.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are very popular and low recoil so I get it. I will prolly get one someday.

I might get one someday as well. I have been shooting my 25-06 for many years and love it! It's very hard to put down and will probably use it until I die, or something tragic happens to it. In addition, I picked up a 308 last year and I am currently in the process of getting used to that one. It seems to be a pretty legit round and I will be using it for coyote competitions this year.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 6.5 man bun is soooooo last year.
6mm manbun is the new rage. ill be testing it next wknd in MT on speed goats throwing a 105gr berger VLD.... my guess is it wont bounce off:;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF-- good stuff there. love my .260 throwing 140gr berger elite hunters. figured i better join the manbun crowd with the 6mm. havent killed anything yet with it so real curious how it performs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a new 6.5 creedmoor Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech. Topped her with a 6-24x50 vortex. Since the first round, it's been a dream to shoot. Call it what you want, I enjoy shooting the gun.

Man-Smiling-at-Dirty Mikes Post.jpg
^^ BedWetter reading this post

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one built just shy of a decade ago. Killed every thing i have shot at. Someday maybe an elk while i am out camping in the mountains.

The 140 amax and now the 143 eldx has been a good combo with about 42.5 grains of h4350 with a little jump.

My brother has the 6.5 prc and that is impressive with the 156 berger.

I think a 300 prc is on my short list. time to get something to bang way out there

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
SO for the ignorant out there (me), what's the big difference between the 6.5 creedmore and the PRC?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SO for the ignorant out there (me), what's the big difference between the 6.5 creedmore and the PRC?

Creedmoor case has a bit less capacity than the 308/243 case. 6.5 PRC case is just a bit shy of the capacity of a 30-06.

Or the really short answer: +/- 200-250fps.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One hairpin in the manbun verses 2.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always been a Springfield Armory fan. I'm rather curious about these:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/model-2020-series-rifles/

I'd love to shoot one.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You and I both. I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to spring for one once they get back into production.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll never get rid of my .308. It shoots everything from 110gr to 200gr bullets, and once I find the magic recipe, it shoot so well it's almost boring. I bought daughter #1 a Fencepost 6.5 manbun, and have been amazed at how well it has shot everything, out of the box. Haven't started re-loading for it yet, but I have shot Hornady branded ammo, and Federal using 130gr Barnes & Berger....and everything has been way sub-moa....she loves it.

I have also been intrigued by the 6mm manbun, and probably a candidate for daughter #2.

My 6.5 Grendel for my AR has been a different story....by far the most frustrating thing to shoot, ever, for me. With the exception of some Berger (hybrid target), I'm looking at 4-5" groups at 100 yards....i've seen better groups out of a Mosin shooting steel case at a 100 yards than this Grendel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76