shotgun and new ammo~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So after eyexer shotgun thread jumping all over thought I would start aknew...

had a chance to check out the new benelli SBE4,great improvements,shoots 100% high @ 30yds,which I perfer for rising birds vs a flat shooter like beretta A400 I have,the diffence on targets between the two are high pattern shotgun allows shooter to float target rather than cover target on flat shooter. Further benelli has a nice lite weight upland scatter gun for small framed shooters that wants a 12 ga shotgun,it weighs in at 6lbs and fore-end/stock is same as they're 20ga shotgun's

Futher,shotgun ammo is becoming scarce as well as factory rim fire,as much as I hunt waterfowl and hate shooting steel shot,I BOUGHT SOME "HEVI -X" waterfowl loads,step down from the real "hevi shot" but at a more affordable price comparing to all other premium ammo out there,as I'm usually pass shooting these days so my shots are rarely with-in 45yds like over decoy's where std steel loads work just fine in 2.75" or 3" cheap steel ammo.

Hevi shot phased out a damn good waterfowl load this year(hevi metal) they use the same name but instead of using hevi shot pellets they use bismuth which is less dense and lighter than hevi shot pellets but hevi shot claims this new load will extend your performance range which is misleading IMPO as these bismuth pellets weigh 9g and hevi shot pellets weigh 12g's,(lead weighs in at 10g) so this equakes to less kinnectic energy down range but the load is alot better than any steel loads no matter the make,steel pellets weigh 7.0g,so fast out the shoot but dies fast beyond 40 yds unless one bumps up pellet size which results in more cripples because of less pellets in each shot shell like BB or BBB's

just a few thoughts and info .

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I bought plenty of shotshell ammo last couple years. I don’t get the shortage of shotgun ammo. Makes no sense. I’ll probably buy a reloader and start doing that again I think.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed eyexer ,not a bad idea to have a mec loader and components in your man cave these days.

years ago like mid 70's my first 10 ga was a sxs,still have it for memories,old timer neighbor was a waterfowl addict who had a similar 10ga,he showed me how to hand load 50cal casings cut down to 3.5" for his 10'ner with a "lee way loader
',packed 6 gr's which rattled your melon,only could take about a dozen shots per day....but damn did those buck shot loads reach out.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

had a chance to check out the new benelli SBE4,great improvements,shoots 100% high @ 30yds,which I perfer for rising birds vs a flat shooter like beretta A400 I have,the diffence on targets between the two are high pattern shotgun allows shooter to float target rather than cover target on flat shooter. Further benelli has a nice lite weight upland scatter gun for small framed shooters that wants a 12 ga shotgun,it weighs in at 6lbs and fore-end/stock is same as they're 20ga shotgun's

Futher,shotgun ammo is becoming scarce as well as factory rim fire,as much as I hunt waterfowl and hate shooting steel shot,I BOUGHT SOME "HEVI -X" waterfowl loads,step down from the real "hevi shot" but at a more affordable price comparing to all other premium ammo out there,as I'm usually pass shooting these days so my shots are rarely with-in 45yds like over decoy's where std steel loads work just fine in 2.75" or 3" cheap steel ammo.

Hevi shot phased out a damn good waterfowl load this year(hevi metal) they use the same name but instead of using hevi shot pellets they use bismuth which is less dense and lighter than hevi shot pellets but hevi shot claims this new load will extend your performance range which is misleading IMPO as these bismuth pellets weigh 9g and hevi shot pellets weigh 12g's,(lead weighs in at 10g) so this equakes to less kinnectic energy down range but the load is alot better than any steel loads no matter the make,steel pellets weigh 7.9g,so fast out the shoot but dies fast beyond 40 yds unless one bumps up pellet size which results in more cripples because of less pellets in each shot shell like BB or BBB's

Hevi Shot needs to get on the TSS bandwagon. A mixture of steel/bismuth and TSS is the most economical way to give shells a long range punch without paying for a full payload of TSS ($$$$). There is not way I will pay twice as much for a bismuth shell if it is only marginally better. I looked into hevi-x too but the federal black cloud tss is the same price after rebate. Hevi- teal was an awesome load for close shooting over decoys.

I have been hearing guys pounding the Geese at 90 yards with TSS because of its down range energy and high penetration. I won a .410 shotgun that I plan on buying reloading components for it from Prairiewind Decoys. The .410 can pack enough TSS in that small shell that it has more harder hitting pellets than a 12 gauge steel shell. I wish federal or hevi-short would make a water fowl tss load in .410

- - - Updated - - -

Glad I bought plenty of shotshell ammo last couple years. I don’t get the shortage of shotgun ammo. Makes no sense. I’ll probably buy a reloader and start doing that again I think.
Steel and lead ammo is cheap as dirt on Rogers Sporting Goods lately. $8-9 A box for decent ammo is a steal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve bought all my shotgun ammo from Rogers over the past few years

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed eyexer ,not a bad idea to have a mec loader and components in your man cave these days.

years ago like mid 70's my first 10 ga was a sxs,still have it for memories,old timer neighbor was a waterfowl addict who had a similar 10ga,he showed me how to hand load 50cal casings cut down to 3.5" for his 10'ner with a "lee way loader
',packed 6 gr's which rattled your melon,only could take about a dozen shots per day....but damn did those buck shot loads reach out.

Im just wondering how the 50 caliber didnt slide down the barrel as they dont have the rim on to hold them in the chamber. Or is there something I'm missing?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to scheels in grand forks and shelveswere bare. Glad I bought up over the last years when the selection was many. Db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
.17 in a 223 or hornet but they did not have them even in the good times
Db

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member

Hevi shot phased out a damn good waterfowl load this year(hevi metal) they use the same name but instead of using hevi shot pellets they use bismuth which is less dense and lighter than hevi shot pellets but hevi shot claims this new load will extend your performance range which is misleading IMPO as these bismuth pellets weigh 9g and hevi shot pellets weigh 12g's,(lead weighs in at 10g) so this equakes to less kinnectic energy down range but the load is alot better than any steel loads no matter the make,steel pellets weigh 7.9g,so fast out the shoot but dies fast beyond 40 yds unless one bumps up pellet size which results in more cripples because of less pellets in each shot shell like BB or BBB's

Wonder what the recoil is going to be like ona small light weight benelli with the intertia. And was very surprised when I went to grab a couple boxes of ammo for pheasant hunting. Slim pickings

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hevi Shot needs to get on the TSS bandwagon. A mixture of steel/bismuth and TSS is the most economical way to give shells a long range punch without paying for a full payload of TSS ($$$$). There is not way I will pay twice as much for a bismuth shell if it is only marginally better. I looked into hevi-x too but the federal black cloud tss is the same price after rebate. Hevi- teal was an awesome load for close shooting over decoys.

I have been hearing guys pounding the Geese at 90 yards with TSS because of its down range energy and high penetration. I won a .410 shotgun that I plan on buying reloading components for it from Prairiewind Decoys. The .410 can pack enough TSS in that small shell that it has more harder hitting pellets than a 12 gauge steel shell. I wish federal or hevi-short would make a water fowl tss load in .410

- - - Updated - - -

Steel and lead ammo is cheap as dirt on Rogers Sporting Goods lately. $8-9 A box for decent ammo is a steal.

actually migrator,100%hevi shot ammo is tungsen iron,tin and nickle, weight12g,like stated above bismuth weight is 9g still alot better to any steel loads for down range performace no matter the make(steel is steel @7.g in wieght and less dense) ,nothing else compares to down range kinetic energy of hevi shot,90 yd kill shots? think someone slipped in 4 buck lead... Further as I found that hevi-x which I stated above hevi-x is a tungsen composit weighs in at 11g vs blacKcloud or any other steel loads at 7.0g,in our shotgun world more dense more weight = long range kinetic energy.

Another great more affordable waterfowl load from hevi shot was speed ball but think its been phased out,like the old hevi metal just std steel pellets,speed ball steel pellets were copper clad (not plated) adding more weight to the steel pellets.(1635 fps in 3" ammo")

this is what speed ball pellets look like,note the smaller size hevi pellets,two sizes smaller than rated steel pellets gives each shot shell 20% more pellets in each shell because of the smaller diameter close up.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Im just wondering how the 50 caliber didnt slide down the barrel as they dont have the rim on to hold them in the chamber. Or is there something I'm missing?

different 50cal casing 50 years ago is my guess,old sxs 10ga extractor chamber held em just fine,wish I still had those casing's.

- - - Updated - - -

Richland sxs 10'er,made in spain,way back another o/u 10ga was built by Zambela,kick myself for not going with the o/u 10ga,but dang that old sxs with 32" barrels full/full was deadly for high flyers when we shot lead.shot a few late season rooster's with it when my old browning took a shit in zero degree temps,back in the 70's winchester made 2/ 7/8" ammo for our 10's

migrator off hevi shot website~
.410BORE
LENGTHCHARGE WEIGHTFPSSHOT SIZEPART#
39/161300419004

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
actually migrator,100%hevi shot ammo is tungsen iron,tin and nickle, weight12g,like stated above bismuth weight is 9g still alot better to any steel loads for down range performace no matter the make(steel is steel @7.g in wieght and less dense) ,nothing else compares to down range kinetic energy of hevi shot,90 yd kill shots? think someone slipped in 4 buck lead... Further as I found that hevi-x which I stated above hevi-x is a tungsen composit weighs in at 11g vs blacKcloud or any other steel loads at 7.0g,in our shotgun world more dense more weight = long range kinetic energy.

Another great more affordable waterfowl load from hevi shot was speed ball but think its been phased out,like the old hevi metal speed ball steel pellets were copper clad (not plated) adding more weight to the steel pellets.(1635 fps in 3" ammo")

this is what speed ball pellets look like,note the smaller size hevi pellets,two sizes smaller than rated steel pellets gives each shot shell 20% more pellets in each shell because of the smaller diameter2022_money.png

- - - Updated - - -

different 50cal casing 50 years ago is my guess,old sxs 10ga extractor chamber held em just fine,wish I still had those casing's.

- - - Updated - - -

Richland sxs 10'er,made in spain,way back another o/u 10ga was built by Zambela,kick myself for not going with the o/u 10ga,but dang that old sxs with 32" barrels full/full was deadly for high flyers when we shot lead.shot a few late season rooster's with it when my old browning took a shit in zero degree temps,back in the 70's winchester made 2/ 7/8" ammo for our 10's

migrator off hevi shot website~
[h=3].410BORE[/h]
LENGTHCHARGE WEIGHTFPSSHOT SIZEPART#
39/161300419004
I’m talking the TSS tungsten at 18 grams/cc. This stuff hits way harder than even hevi shot. Apex and federal have jumped on the bandwagon because this is the best you can get. This stuff is the real deal at long range shots out to 90 yards. No buckshot needed. I just wish they made a .410 load that wasn’t $5 a round.

We are starting to reload .410 shells with this stuff and will outperform and 12 gauge.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes hevi shot is dabbling in tss I see but so far just turkey ammo,fricken $40 /5 pack,gotta draw the line,ain't no stinking duck or goose worth $8/shot,bad enough spending $3.50 for 12g/cc rds

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a good pheasant load to the ol neck/noggin will put gobblers down every time

I bought some fancy turkey loads once - in 1985 or so.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
.50 BMG never had a rim. Some obscure BP case? I guess BMG could work with careful breech closing and a ramrod.

- - - Updated - - -

a good pheasant load to the ol neck/noggin will put gobblers down every time

I bought some fancy turkey loads once - in 1985 or so.

Turkeys are not made of titanium. Pattern is the key. You don't have to get your head kicked off launching a lb of shot. A low brass AA 7.5 skeet load may damn well be the ticket: Pattern, pattern, pattern as you will be aiming not pointing. Lower velocity loads compare well with HV in FPE @ 40yds because of physics. It's like dipping your hand in water rather than slapping it. BTW, FWIW; the brass height is purely cosmetic in this era of smokeless powder but is still a good indicator of "power".

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m talking the TSS tungsten at 18 grams/cc. This stuff hits way harder than even hevi shot. Apex and federal have jumped on the bandwagon because this is the best you can get. This stuff is the real deal at long range shots out to 90 yards. No buckshot needed. I just wish they made a .410 load that wasn’t $5 a round.

We are starting to reload .410 shells with this stuff and will outperform and 12 gauge.

Looks like TSS shot from hevi,federal and Apex is only available in #7 and #9 shot size for now,have yet to see this over priced stuff in stores to date but reloading shops have been peddling this stuff for several years to die hard turkey hunters,federal is boasting a 25rd box of TSS for $72.00 when available.YIKES

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like TSS shot from hevi,federal and Apex is only available in #7 and #9 shot size for now,have yet to see this over priced stuff in stores to date but reloading shops have been peddling this stuff for several years to die hard turkey hunters,federal is boasting a 25rd box of TSS for $72.00 when available.YIKES

I bought some Federal Blackcloud TSS from Rogers for $199 a case (100 rounds) and then I get $75 rebate off of that. 32.50 for 25 rounds of 1/2 oz of TSS is a killer deal/load.

Don’t mistake #9 or even #7 on down range energy as it maintains killing power 70 yards plus. With handloads you can get even bigger TSS for killing energy past 100 yards. This is some revolutionary stuff.

Prairiewind is where I get my components. They have couple suggested loads too for .410

http://prairiewinddecoys.com/p/1647/18-gcc-tungsten-super-shot-tss-free-shipping

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go for it,I'm not in on #7's and certainly #9's making 70yd kill shots,even in zero cross wind,hell copper plated OOlead buck is a maybe at 100yds.Me thinks shotgun ammo is becoming hard to find except for target loads and some lead field loads although slim pickens,I ordered a flat of 3" hevi-x late sept,shit is still on back order,hevi shot told me they're still producing speed ball so I ordered a flat of it two weeks ago not here yet,my luck ammo will show after season closes but will be in good shape come the spring snow hunt's.

I have rolled coyotes at 70+yds with hevi shot T's(dead coyote ammo) but damn almost $5rd.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75