Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in SW ND

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So where I have bow hunted the past couple years, north of Dickinson, it appears that EHD has hit with a vengeance. The area I hunt has like a triangle of water sources and my blind in right in the middle. Well, this past weekend, they combined the cornfield around the area and so far the count is up to about 14 dead deer. And those are just the ones found, many dead in the cornfield near the water. Guess that explains why not many pictures on camera.

So I texted farmer south of town where I rifle hunt and he found a dead deer in the stock dam. So indications are that it is wide spread. So the farmer called and reported to NDGF and they responded confirming increase reporting of EHD. With pheasant hunters out and about, we might see more reports. Might be a good year to eat the rifle tag or see if NDGF refunds if hunters in SW ND turn their whitetail tags in. And we thought COVID was bad. Deer here have to deal with EHD and CWD.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
is this the disease where the midgets in the water kill the deer?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ya i know a guy was on here telling us how the midgets killed the deer.......he ment midges ..... it was an lol

midget2.PNG

Last edited:

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found 7 in the cattails around the dam at my parents place while pheasant hunting. Maybe a 10 acre area west of New England.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Found 7 in the cattails around the dam at my parents place while pheasant hunting. Maybe a 10 acre area west of New England.

Hopefully farmers and ranchers report #'s and location to NDGF. It's tough see so many shooter bucks taken out by these little critters.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbors and us estimate its wiped out 2/3 of the whitetail population in our area, dead deer all over.
Hopefully the offer refunds for tags.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep it’s bad and widespread this year, I know of quite a few groups of hunters this weekend finding 6-12 dead deer per group on the chunks of land they hunted SW. Landowners basically telling them it got every WT buck on their properties.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read an article a while back that land owners who have water dug outs that want to save wildlife should invest in digging the dugouts deeper because deeper cooler water is not the ideal breeding ground for midges

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm still trying to figure out why midgets are out murdering deer.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read an article a while back that land owners who have water dug outs that want to save wildlife should invest in digging the dugouts deeper because deeper cooler water is not the ideal breeding ground for midges

Like 3 to 4 feet deep? What is the average height of a midget?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of loss in the Richardton area, and Hebron.

Guess we didnt see any dead ones trail riding in Medora this last weekend

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very sorry to hear this. That’s a sad deal. Getting tags is a big wait and then EHD kills most of the deer.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just want to see the video of kurtr's post...the little fella in the back is gonna fly, and I think the bipod might drag the little fella in the front along. I feel like I'd watch it on a loop 30 times in a row.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
is this the disease where the midgets in the water kill the deer?

Damn though, if that was one of the funniest exchanges on here, ever!

Back to the OP, I ran across a few dead ones in Morton County that appeared to have died for no good reason.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I googled it. Video does exist, but they shoot it from a bench. Still funny, but not the standing shot I pictured in my head.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76