Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in SW ND

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer Mortality Caused by EHD Allows Whitetail Hunters to Seek Refunds
Based on continuing reports of white-tailed deer mortality in western North Dakota caused by epizootic hemorrhagic disease, the state Game and Fish Department is allowing hunters with whitetail licenses in units 3D1, 3D2, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E and 4F the option of turning those licenses in for refunds. Hunters who return their licenses will have their bonus points restored, if applicable, to the same number of points prior to the 2020 deer gun lottery.
Bruce Stillings, big game supervisor, said the decision is based on evidence of moderate to significant white-tailed deer losses in some areas that might affect hunting success in those locations.
“While we first received reports of isolated deer deaths in August, loss of deer to this disease appears to have extended into October and covers a large area of western North Dakota,” he added. “Fortunately, the current weather pattern is colder than average temperatures with below freezing conditions during the night which will likely end this year’s outbreak.”
EHD, a naturally occurring virus that is spread by a biting midge, is almost always fatal to infected white-tailed deer, while mule deer do not usually die from the disease. Hunters do not have to worry about handling or consuming meat from infected deer because the virus that causes EHD is not known to cause disease in humans. In addition, the first hard freeze typically kills the midge that carries and transfers the EHD virus, which will slow or halt the spread of the disease.
Before deciding to turn in a license, Stillings urges whitetail license holders to make local contacts to find out the extent of mortality in their hunting area. Large portions of affected units had no reports of whitetail deaths.
“The whitetail population has not been decimated and in many areas a good harvest is still needed,” he said, adding that more than 9,000 white-tailed deer license holders are eligible for license refunds.
The last time Game and Fish made license refunds an option for hunters because of an EHD outbreak was in 2011.
White-tailed deer license holders who want a refund must mail their tag, along with a note requesting a refund due to EHD, to the Game and Fish Department’s Bismarck office no later than Nov. 5. Envelopes postmarked Nov. 5 will be accepted.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr and the boy will still chase white tail Doe in the 3F2 area

thorson

Founding Member
Founding Member
We once found over 250 dead deer on and near a large island on the Platte river in Nebraska. A large hole was dug and carcasses were pushed in. It smelled there for the better part of the next spring to the point I couldn't even turkey hunt near the burial site.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would it be too much to ask for g&f to provide a map so people can make informed decisions?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
EHD vs. CWD. Which one KILLS more deer?? Which one is guesswork based on speculation, few actual dead deer, and results in MORE regulations as compared to which one is based on LOTS of ACTUAL DEAD DEER FOUND which results in fewer deer tags available??? Oh don't mind me, I'm just an old hunter with 40 years of experience. What do I know? I don't have a degree in wildlife management. Those boys at the game and fish got this ALL figured out. I just have a degree in REAL LIFE. Which apparently doesn't mean anything unless it has a university stamp of approval on it. Carry on fellas. Sorry to interject.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is it even safe to harvest a deer in south central ND? I mean is the meat safe to eat

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that where Dickinson got their sports mascot name?

Dickinson was founding in 1891 by the family caring the same name, they endured several hardships in the founding of this now great city, but the first hardship was of course that of being a former family of circus midgets. They built mainly little homes, and had various tiny out houses, it became the basis of the high school mascot, and also explains the need for history to not be changed to fit the newly offended generation of big people, and their inability to except the honor and redeeming qualities of the Mighty Midget.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76