Boat Fishing in the Cold

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Logan and Hud 101620.jpg
G Kids and me enjoying the wind and cold yesterday! Hoping to have several more days on the water this year.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went this afternoon...fished west side of Audubon...water temps 48-49...was windy and cold but at least I got the boat out...not sure how many more times she'll see the water this year!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring a towel with to dry your hands if they get wet, I’ve brought blankets with before also. Need some kind of a small can with also when you freeze your trolling Motor in the stowed position, just pour some water on it and you should be able to deploy it.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opening deer season at the Angle about 6 years ago or so. We got a deer in the morning. It was so nice that we put the boat in and headed out went out about 12 miles or so into Ontario and had a spot picked out off a rocky point in 28 to 33 feet of water. Best fishing ever. Did that a couple of years in a row. Last time had to break ice at the boat ramp. Still extremely great fishing. Only boat out. Fall fishing up there is generally good except for this year..... Locked out!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have musky fished Halloween weekend up around the Ely MN area for the last 6 years. A few tricks learned from the MN diehards (brother and friends) I fish with are. Buying liquid silicone and spraying your spool the night before, will help for a while in the cold mornings. We carry a spray bottle of windshield fluid and spray the spool as needed to thaw the line for casting, The can use both for the trolling motor also. These work in the high 20's and low 30's temps. When you start getting about 22 deg and under it is just trolling if you really want to be out there. Note this is with Power Pro line, have no idea if would work well with mono. The fish in avatar was caught in about 30 deg temps

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's no different than heading to Lake Tobin for the October full moon fishing. Damn cold! We had four boats head up and had snowball fights on the river. Dressed to stay warm but we still got chilled with daytime highs only 26 degrees. We'd also go back out at night from 8pm-11pm. If we can do it in northern Canada we can certainly do it in North Dakota.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^ Up did you guys have any boat problems or concerns or just any general observations? This past Saturday was one of the coldest boat fishing days I've personally done...was 31 degrees with 20mph winds. I didn't have any boat problems at all...big motor, trolling motor, etc. I didn't use the live well...let the big motor drain in the down position for an extra 10 minutes before I left the ramp area. When I got home, noticed my tie down straps were semi frozen...other than that nothing to report. Gonna be butt cold this weekend coming up...not sure if I'm gonna venture out with the boat? Looks like a little warm up for Halloween weekend...that will be it for me this season!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stood in the Missouri River for about 2.5 hours last night. Was 32 when I started, was 33 when I left.

No fish. The wind was nasty, blowing right up the river. Didn't seem that bad in town. Layers of Simms clothing kept me warm.

Don't ask me to take an IQ test.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^ Jay...really want to get the boat back out this weekend but man not sure if it's gonna happen! Friday looks the most "promising"...25 degrees...some sun...lighter winds. We'll see...

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys that fish late into the season, do you check your lower unit gear lube occasionally to make sure there's no water in it? I've had a couple times where mine is a little milky in the fall and have gotten seals replaced, makes me a little nervous when it gets cold. Had a buddy in college who had a pos boat that froze with water in the lower unit and destroyed it...

Eyelife

I’ve boat fished in the teens, froze and broke the flush out on my yammy kicker. Single digit temps comin, 3 for the low Friday. Winterized my boat yesterday. Gonna hunt pheasants and dust of the ice fishing gear. Hopefully you have better luck fishin in freezing temps than I did.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stood in the Missouri River for about 2.5 hours last night. Was 32 when I started, was 33 when I left.

No fish. The wind was nasty, blowing right up the river. Didn't seem that bad in town. Layers of Simms clothing kept me warm.

Don't ask me to take an IQ test.
shrinkage is for real, and for some permanent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69