Boat Fishing in the Cold

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear my old snowboarding goggles while running the river, snow blowing, icefishing etc. I don't care how stupid I look haha.

Also a lot of the newer boats with the front rod locker that comes back between the windshield, you can cut a piece of wood to hold it up touching the bottom of the windshield. Closes the gap and sends all the wind over.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
................Also a lot of the newer boats with the front rod locker that comes back between the windshield, you can cut a piece of wood to hold it up touching the bottom of the windshield. Closes the gap and sends all the wind over.

$80k+ boats, a rod locker full of $200-$400 rod & reel combos and we use a board to hold up the rod locker for wind protection instead of spending $50 at the upholstery shop for a piece made to fit there :crazythumb: .......................;:;banghead.....................;:;rant OVER.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, no picture and it has been moved to storage in Botno but the boat is a: 1998 Year-Craft 1895 Storm. It has a recessed door that can be swung closed and latched between the floor and the windshield that crosses between the twin windshields.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about boats that qualify for Pioneer License Plates, lol :;:sorry. and BTW, I loved my old 1895 storm!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got double sided Gorilla tape...was thinking about taping a blanket to the windshield walk thru door to cover that open space between the windshield and the rod locker. Figured it would help keep whatever heat the Buddy heater generates too!

Just open the rod locker all the way up to the bottom of the windshield, have your passenger hold it open while you drive. Works great.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just open the rod locker all the way up to the bottom of the windshield, have your passenger hold it open while you drive. Works great.

Sure I'll be flying solo Sunday afternoon...my inner circle of peeps think I'm crazy for boat fishing after Labor Day!:cool:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, I wasn't thinking about boats that qualify for Pioneer License Plates, lol :;:sorry. and BTW, I loved my old 1895 storm!

I'm sure that my 22 year old boat is by no means the "Old Man" on Metigoshe.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy a big pack of hand warmers to put in a guys pocket for extra heat. I also bring the big buddy to take the edge off. Heavy thermal under layers and good primaloft coat over the top. Some say if you tape hand warmers to your wrists it improves blood flow/temp to your hands, but I haven't tried it yet.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy a big pack of hand warmers to put in a guys pocket for extra heat. I also bring the big buddy to take the edge off. Heavy thermal under layers and good primaloft coat over the top. Some say if you tape hand warmers to your wrists it improves blood flow/temp to your hands, but I haven't tried it yet.

Wonder how much extra blood flow one could get if taping them to a little lower extremity???? :)

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Extra set of clothing just in case. Insulated waterproof bibs/ jacket. hand/foot warmers. DON'T go alone!!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^Risto...if I don't go alone...I don't go! Prolly got 300-400 trips out on the boat in my experience bank...think I'll be ok!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I priced out a custom woolridge boat for fishing big water and cold weather fishing. It had a cab, windshield wipers, headlights etc. you could basically add anything your heart desired to the build. After I got the quote for a 21 footer I bought some more two stroke oil for my ice auger lol.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 14 day looks horrible. It will warm up about time deer season rolls around. Seems like the last couple years we can't get a break.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The 14 day looks horrible. It will warm up about time deer season rolls around. Seems like the last couple years we can't get a break.

Yeah it sucks Short...gonna plan to fish through Halloween weekend then get the boat serviced...in to storage she goes first weekend in November. Fishing for me anyway hasn't been great this season but I have had the boat out alot...tomorrow will be her 44th trip this season!#$%^&>

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the weather is not ideal, but I look at it this way....I will gladly sit on a frozen lake when it is 35 degrees and say, "Wow what a great day". Why is putting on my ice gear and sitting in a comfy boat any different. In my world it isn't.

The best walleye fishing is when the weather is a little uncomfortable and it is easy to talk ourselves out of going fishing. Put your winter gear on and get out there! If you haven't watched Tom Boley's latest video that V posted I suggest you do, this is what is going on right now in or ND lakes.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
It really boils down to the wind. No wind no problem. Also watch the ramps, bring a bucket of sand. Also wIting til 9-10 am helps too

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^ For sure Mike...I won't be heading out till noon tomorrow...Garrison weather partly cloudy 32 degrees...wind WNW 8-10 mph.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
It really boils down to the wind. No wind no problem. Also watch the ramps, bring a bucket of sand. Also wIting til 9-10 am helps too
Spot on! It's all about the sun and wind this time of year. I am fishing Sunday and Monday. Waiting till noon tho. I hope to fish in the boat in November. There is no way the boat is going to storage yet!!!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be extra cautious walking on the ramp lest your feet go out from under you and your head hits something sharp and/or solid. You might lay there for a long time before anyone notices. You might also break a bone or two. I think Rowdy or someone on here had a bad experience recently. Not sure it was icy but they get slippery from moss growth too.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A big enough cooler for your catch. Don't want to be using live well unless can get in a warm or heated /garage/ shop.
If bunk trailer and unable to put inside day to day. If remains below freezing, when unload boat spray bunks down with Pam. Ask how I know this. Tobin Lake about 10 yrs ago. Took us 45 minutes backed into water to get thawed out to unload. Old fart told us spray your bunks, next morning slid right off at 7°

Hip boots if they start pulling docks.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
no boarding ladder; tie a rope off the bow and a rope off the transom that you can reach from the water just in case, especially if you fish alone in the cold. Wear that PFD.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74