Bow Press

xflfan69

Have had trouble with getting good service at the local stores with archery shops. I think it is time to learn a lot of it myself. Can anyone recommend a good bow press for just light work that won't break the bank? I plan on maybe changing strings, installing/moving peep sights, etc.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Ram Ratchet-loc. Fairly easy to use. First and only press I have used so nothing to compare it with.
[h=1][/h]

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Bowmaster portable. Works just fine for me. Changed several strings, installed peeps, string silencers, etc.

xflfan69

I am kind of looking at the portable presses like the RAM and Bowmaster now. My only concern is that they do not put pressure on the ends of the limbs like the bow companies recommend. Has anyone had any problems or damaged a bow because of the pressure closer to the riser? I have seen you can get adapters for the Bowmaster so it does put pressure on the ends of the limbs instead.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can not recommend a portable press, except in emergency/remote situations. Yes, they work. But they are slow and tedious as hell. I have the Bowmaster. If you're not a patient person, like me, you'll be looking for a new press after only using it a couple times.

The Last Chance EZ Green is pretty much the standard for "cheaper" home presses. It's $400. I've had one for quite a while and it's been good.

If you're a DIY guy you can also search on Archery Talk for many examples of DIY press builds.

xflfan69

I can not recommend a portable press, except in emergency/remote situations. Yes, they work. But they are slow and tedious as hell. I have the Bowmaster. If you're not a patient person, like me, you'll be looking for a new press after only using it a couple times.

The Last Chance EZ Green is pretty much the standard for "cheaper" home presses. It's $400. I've had one for quite a while and it's been good.

If you're a DIY guy you can also search on Archery Talk for many examples of DIY press builds.
I have heard a lot of good things about the EZ Press and definitely would buy that, however, I am not able to spend that amount for something I wouldn't use all that often. I actually bought a Bowmaster and the split limb brackets today. I just plan to use it for emergencies such as a peep popping out when I'm gonna go hunting or something like that. I do have experience with welding and fabrication, so eventually I might look into some of the DIY presses on Archery Talk.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75