Ice fishing...In October?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the forecast it seems like ice by Halloween may be a real possibility, at least for a couple adventurous souls. Does anybody ever remember fishable ice in October before?

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk about fishing but I know I have been muskrat trapping off a four wheeler on the ice first weekend of November

edit: I believe it was 2011

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like ice fishing during deer season as long as i've shot my deer. Not gonna lie, it would be cool to do it before deer season this year.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
A buddy and I ice fished on Audubon on halloween. Early 90's

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ice in front of our cabin on Metigoshe yet and I cannot see any ice anywhere either.

I forgot to mention that my H2O froze up overnight and I had the plumber come up and drain and close up the cabin. We are in Minot now for the winter! Still have more stuff in fridge to move and more clothes.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ice in front of our cabin on Metigoshe yet and I cannot see any ice anywhere either.
After Wednesday its not supposed to be above freezing again through the entire 10 day forecast. Single digit lows and some days with highs in the teens.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
After Wednesday its not supposed to be above freezing again through the entire 10 day forecast. Single digit lows and some days with highs in the teens.

Would make decent ice if the wind doesn't keep blowing. But I don't see that happening the way it has been,

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Damn you B...depressing as heck even reading this! On Saturday, surface water temps on Audubon-main lake still 48-49. NE bays were sitting at 46-48. In the 6 years I've been ice fishing, earliest I've been on walkable ice has been first weekend in November.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to post something about cold water safety and evaluating between the worth of walleye vs the worth your life, but given how those kinds of posts are met with ridicule, admonishment, and sentiments of unmasculinity, I'll refrain from such foolishness and just say "Good Luck!!"

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry I’ll be in a boat until I’m chipping ice to get in. I do love ice fishing but I feel we’re getting ripped off this fall. Long term forecast has some mid 40’s coming back in November.

bink

What are everyones thoughts on how this snow/cold is going to do to future ice? Are we in for bad ice this winter?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were out pheasant hunting yesterday and there was ice on the small ponds and creeks. Only the dogs crossed it. It's all going to melt in November. I hope.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm ready this year, I got a little trailer work to do but could go as is. I want to paint the deck, it's green treated plywood, and recommendations on paint?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm ready this year, I got a little trailer work to do but could go as is. I want to paint the deck, it's green treated plywood, and recommendations on paint?

I wouldn't use paint, I would use stain. Make sure the wood is dry enough to stain. Put some water on it and see if it soaks in, its ready to stain.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like it less and less every year. Would rather hunt birds till the end and then coyotes. I hope for another snow free warmer than average winter every year for both the critters and me

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i like it less and less every year. Would rather hunt birds till the end and then coyotes. I hope for another snow free warmer than average winter every year for both the critters and me

Same...except to boat fish well into November...doesn't look like that will be the case this year!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant seem to get excited for the ice season like the old days. I will be just as happy in January fishing, and not worry about early crappy ice and the potential of shitty outcomes.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1603482269775.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81