17 hmr ?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy in SC has a Marlin bull bbl bolt action. 100 yrd zero puts all loads within the same group. The 20 grn FMJ is great for small game and the plastic tips blow shit up. Don't believe the BS on utube about squirrels running off when hit with the FMJ. Clean hole, dead as a hammer. I'd love to have one as they're a lazer beam from 0 to 100yds. No need to change hold. Past 100 things get a little iffy IMHO and a slightest puff of wind is your mortal enemy.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A caveat: The dude may have been lucky to get such a gun. Also the whole setup weighs near 10 lbs and I'll bet the bore has never been cleaned (stainless model). All loads group well within a dime @ 100 (same POA within superior hunting tolerances). As I write this, I wonder how long this can continue. From my reading, cleaning smallbore rimfires is a strange alchemy. Conversely, the .17 HMR shoots copper clad bullets. I'm now wondering why Marlin doesn't try to get into the Olympic scene. I'm talking bolt guns and hear the same anecdotal things about Savage.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a CZ 452 American which has a 20 inch medium heavy barrel. The reason for the question is I am wanting to find out what gives my rifle the best group. So I am trying a few different brands and weights of ammo.

THX in advance for any and all comments.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use 17 gr CCI VNT in Savage A-17. Approx. 2" group with very few flyers at 100 yds. in low wind. Fun little rimfire

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can have a nice shooter for under $300. Heavy barreled Savage can be had for $260 any day of the week at Fleet Farm, and you don't really need pricy optics when you're talking about 100-150 yds.
I skipped 22s for my boys and went with the standard barrel Savage for $200 a pop.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
We shoot Hornady 17 Gr. V-Max and they are tack drivers.

This. I shot the crap out of these and they are a pure laser out to 100 yards. Dime size groups no problem. They are pretty darn good out to 150 as well. Unpredictable at about 200. Wind is the devil, but watching things explode in your scope because of zero recoil is pretty darn neat.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This. I shot the crap out of these and they are a pure laser out to 100 yards. Dime size groups no problem. They are pretty darn good out to 150 as well. Unpredictable at about 200. Wind is the devil, but watching things explode in your scope because of zero recoil is pretty darn neat.

​VG as I have a lot of these in my stash.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ahab hit the nail on the head -- watching things explode in your scope...
My favorite vermin rifle for just that reason. .223, .204, 22-250, etc have a little too much "bounce" to see the fruits of your labor sometimes. I like the 17 WSM for the same reason, but inexpensive rifle options are more limited.

17 gr Hornady, by the way.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a CZ 452 American which has a 20 inch medium heavy barrel. The reason for the question is I am wanting to find out what gives my rifle the best group. So I am trying a few different brands and weights of ammo.

THX in advance for any and all comments.

Sorry, from my vicarious experience, all loads and bullet types are consistent and should group within a dime @ 100. No data on the souped up velocity offering(s) (not talking about the .17 wssm).

- - - Updated - - -

Will you guys shut up?:) I have been trying not to buy one of those for years. ::thinking::::

They are quite the sexy little minx.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot the Remington's and they were OK, but didn't seem as consistent. The hollow points I tried didn't shoot near as well as the VMAX. Can't remember if they were CCI or Winchester. The Hornadys just seemed to be top of the heap. The 20grn version didn't seem to be worth the lower velocity.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Capt,

Good post. Never even thought to consider anything other than Hornady or CCI. Also, no experience with the soft point rd. My above posts are truthful and from five year old experiences. I believe what I said still holds water.

- - - Updated - - -

I shot the Remington's and they were OK, but didn't seem as consistent. The hollow points I tried didn't shoot near as well as the VMAX. Can't remember if they were CCI or Winchester. The Hornadys just seemed to be top of the heap. The 20grn version didn't seem to be worth the lower velocity.

Within 100 the 20grn kills fine with no mess. Would give it the ok for squirrel,fox etc. Can't say a thing about coyote. It's all about shot placement as I'm sure you know.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79