What’s up with Dakota Storm Stalkers???

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I went on to see what Dakota Storm Stalkers was saying about the pending snowstorm and the last I saw was their post from September 27th. Does anybody know what’s the deal that they have not posted lately? Or are we just going to rely on the weather bucket?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be a little biased, but last time I paid attention there's still about 50 qualified applications for every meteorologist opening at the National Weather Service. Competition like that suggests the best in the business offer up their expectations (not just the worst case scenario) for free at https://www.weather.gov/bis/ for the western 2/3 of the state, or at https://weather.gov/fgf for the eastern part of the state and NW Minnetucky.

Then again, they do put out some fairly non-user friendly webpages as well, such as:

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/meg/gefs_plumes/

and
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/exper/gefs/gefs.html

and during the summer storm season, this is always a good one to look at
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/

Trust me, if you said looking at the above hurts your brain, I fully understand.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I miss the pig-spleen guy's winter forecast. Now there's a lost art.

Last edited:

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
As per the spleen on the butcher cow this year.....

The father innlaw said its one of the longest thickest spleen hes ever seen in the past 45 years.

Said it was almost totally rectangular and didnt taper off at all.

As long as I've been around him, it hasnt really been off in the spleen prediction department.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride I guess.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought reading pig spleens was the cutting edge of weather forecasting.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
A former coworker and I used to get into big, long-winded "discussions" about pig spleens predicting the weather. I thought he was an idiot for putting any real belief in it. He thought I was an idiot for not being open-minded enough.

He also claimed to be able to accurately forecast the weather "kinda" by observing something having to do with onions, and also placing a yardstick in an anthill, and watching how high the ants would climb. That last one was supposed to be somehow related to how much snow we would get.

Kinda. Sorta. Well, sometimes.

It DOES make for some interesting conversations though...

- - - Updated - - -

As per the spleen on the butcher cow this year.....

The father innlaw said its one of the longest thickest spleen hes ever seen in the past 45 years.

Said it was almost totally rectangular and didnt taper off at all.

As long as I've been around him, it hasnt really been off in the spleen prediction department.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride I guess.

This makes me chuckle. I think my favorite part is "didn't taper off at all".

I'll assume you're being light-hearted. I am.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember back in the day the old timers talking about the pig spleens and the weather.
Some were very accurate but i never paid that close attention to learn the "art of spleen reading"!
See it has been cooler up there in NoDak and you got some snow with more on the way.
Sorry boys we don't miss it one bit! When we get snow here in Payson it is gone in 1-3 days depending on how much we get. When we do get snow it is wet and heavy.
Do enjoy reading about the weather up there so please keep us informed.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the rock is white, it's snowing.
If the rock is wet, it's raining.
If the rock is gone, it's a tornado.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weather bucket isn't as accurate as a weather rock imo
Weahter bucket will eventually become brittle and break down from the damage of the suns uv rays
Weather bucket could blow away causing a chain reaction histaria that a tornado has been in the area when in fact it was just a stiff wind
Weather bucket needs to be emptied everytime it rains if not may cause in accurate conditions that it is wetter then it really is.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.lakeside.com/Garden---O...z0UTvrRWWyZVYSEaMTIaApmREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Here is a website where you can buy your very own up to the minute weather rock (stone) no assembly required

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah well if you were sober more often maybe you would have seen the other one ;:;boozer:;:Thumbs Up

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol,this thread is great,you guyz are good humor...

In my younger days had a darn good job as a water well driller,ran one of the first rotary machines that replaced the cable tool and dynamite for deep commercial wells,this was in the 70's,

one summer we were called to a small farming community in north central minn to pop irrigation wells for pivets,farmers needed help when mother nature took a shit for rain,well first job we were told to wait as the farmer hired a "witcher" to find under ground water streams...I told these farmers we could pop a well anywhere down to the 1st layer of clay and get plenty of irrigation water but they made us wait for the witcher,when the witcher finally came he was nursing a jug of apricot brandy for breakfast,had his hickory Y shaped witching stick and off we went following this old fart through a scrub corn field,by god we found water on every mark he made,I called "bullshit" about the process insulting the old fart,he took me aside showed me how to hold the witching stick and set me loose,lol felt foolish and it didn't work for me,he said my body didn't have the magnetic pull again I called B.S. so the old guy got behing me,(brandy breath ) held my hands and off we went,when we came to the water mark as the witching rod went down I squeezed the stick as hard as I could,and damn if the bark didn't peel back in my hands,I thought for sure this old guy was a fake knowing we had water everywhere below and he was forcing the witching stick down,moral here our old timer's know thing's gotta take time and listen to them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75