12v Lithium ion

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
im installing a Chinese diesel heater in my skid house

Today on this topic is the first I ever heard of them . What do they fire with ? # 1 # 2 Diesel ? I watched a few vids but mostly sales pitches. Having dealt with diesel and electronics in freezing temps I feel like johnny skeptical . They look awesome if they are reliable.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today on this topic is the first I ever heard of them . What do they fire with ? # 1 # 2 Diesel ? I watched a few vids but mostly sales pitches. Having dealt with diesel and electronics in freezing temps I feel like johnny skeptical . They look awesome if they are reliable.
kerosene works the best for the self contained units like i ordered, i believe that semi sleepers are the biggest market for the small air heaters. i have worked on wabosta, and Pro heat auxiliary diesel fired heaters that heavy equipment and Buses uses to heat the cooling system and they have been around for years.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a couple of those, and I have an AGM charger. Some say they are damaged with a standard charger. What's your experience been? I would use them for my camper, but I don't want to wire in a special charger.

I have had good luck with them. if I'm not running my furnace lord only who knows how long I could have power to run everything. LED lights (lots of them inside and out) charging phones, portable speakers and running a small tv off of an invertor. Even before I added solar, I was on a 10 day trip off grid in MT with my family (summer) and my voltage meter didn't drop below 12.6.

My trailer is wired with a 4 stage convertor/charger that is safe to use with AGM batteries.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is actually a very interesting thread. I had no idea.

Aside from the obvious (cost) why don't modern new campers come with this system? Seems like a no-brainer, for those willing to shell out 50 to 80K for top-shelf camping...

Jaykay

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
This is actually a very interesting thread. I had no idea.

Aside from the obvious (cost) why don't modern new campers come with this system? Seems like a no-brainer, for those willing to shell out 50 to 80K for top-shelf camping...

Jaykay

Because most of the RV's are used (and thus designed/built) for places where power is nearly always available.

And not matter what, the model of the RV business..is to build as cheap as possible.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because most of the RV's are used (and thus designed/built) for places where power is nearly always available.

And not matter what, the model of the RV business..is to build as cheap as possible.

Yup, I suppose that's right. But aren't they also constantly fighting weight? I mean, I thought that batteries that would weigh half as much as "regular ones" would be appealing.

Yeah though, like a trailer house, cheap is king.

Unless you are looking at the half-million dollar models, I suppose...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any reason why you dont want to run an inverter genie as a back up if you need extra power that way you can get away with acid deep cycle batteries, you also have to take in consideration that if you ever have a bad BMS in one of your battiers. That is alot to gamble on when you can buy close to 3 deep cycle batteries for the same price as one lithium battery.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Yup, I suppose that's right. But aren't they also constantly fighting weight? I mean, I thought that batteries that would weigh half as much as "regular ones" would be appealing.

Yeah though, like a trailer house, cheap is king.

Unless you are looking at the half-million dollar models, I suppose...

I subcontract with an RV dealer to handle their woodwork, cabinetry warranty/ add on's etc. and in most cases the half million dollar motor coach build quality isn't much better than a 30k fifth wheel. Its just fancier with more bells and whistles.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74