Ice House Question

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone ever used a canvas tent for an ice house? I was thinking if you could build a base that can fit the tent and poles, it might not be a bad a idea.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or is it a bad idea?

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a pain in the ass that isn't worth it. Just my opinion.

Redneck1

Of course it would work, but why would you want to bother with all of the great pop up style insulated tents on the market today. I used to have a old 4 x 8 ply wood/canvas pop up ice shack back in the day but now you don't see anyone using those anymore. Too damn heavy.
Also not may people bother with the old blue poly tarp shacks any more either. The insulated pop up tents are fantastic. Actually I don't know why people even bother to use the Ice Castle type RV campers when all you need is a nice pop up tent.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes in the 70s my brothers made a plywood floor with hinges so it would fold up then set a 8/10 up on the plywood. worked pretty decent.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still have my plywood 4x8 with a poly tarp. Made it in the mid 90's. That thing gets heavier every year, but still works good.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to throw it around like nothing, and drag it my hand out on the ice. Now I can barely move it around the shed. If the OP wanted to make something like that because he has the material (old tent) thats up to him, I know money was an issue for me in college.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had that same poly and a green tarp. The canvas would hold heat. Windy days in that poly with a kerosene heater. Those were the day

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course it would work, but why would you want to bother with all of the great pop up style insulated tents on the market today. I used to have a old 4 x 8 ply wood/canvas pop up ice shack back in the day but now you don't see anyone using those anymore. Too damn heavy.
Also not may people bother with the old blue poly tarp shacks any more either. The insulated pop up tents are fantastic. Actually I don't know why people even bother to use the Ice Castle type RV campers when all you need is a nice pop up tent.

comfort. 70 degrees and warm floor , tv , pizza oven , nap , list goes on for days

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have an Ice Castle Frame that I then built my own enclosure on the frame. I also have a Jason Mitchel flip-over as well as an insulate pop-up. Personal opinion would be for me if I only had one it would be the pop-up. Roomier than the flip-over as well as lighter. The Ice Castle is nice to fish out of if you don't want to move often but not as easy to move as it looks. Just my personal opinion as I don't use the full size house like a camper to spend nights.

What's best is everyone's personal likes. I know several fishermen and women who just fish out of the cab of their pickup.

Redneck1

Whatever you choose to use will have to be anchored since the wind is always guaranteed to blow.
Holy shit does the wind blow in N.D. Theres been a few times when I've had to securely tie the pop up to the bumper on the truck.
The pop up can also be used as a parachute ice sail for fun when the fishing is slow.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pop up. And I will probably just upgrade to a bigger pop up this year. I guess I am just trying to get creative for more comfort at a reasonable cost. Without giving myself too much grief. I figured a canvas tent with a wood floor could be used for summer activities too. But, the more I think about it, the more it seems like a pain. And it just keeps getting more expensive. I might as well buy a cheap, run-down, homemade drop-down ice house.

Thanks for the input!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
comfort. 70 degrees and warm floor , tv , pizza oven , nap , list goes on for days

they have cons to -- believe me I had a wheel house after 1997 sold getting stuck, especially on and off access, to much snow, have to stick to the roads its a buzz kill if you deal with lots of snow. I dont like getting cold during setup or setdown time with portables - but they allow you to fish more and more often.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used 10 mil fire retardant poly I grabbed of an old asbestos project. That stuff is the cats meow. Holds heat really nice. I have a door in both ends of the shack. with a little plexy glass window in each. The floor is solid 2 x 4 and 3/4 in plywood, and ends are 1/2. It was the 2nd one I built and the two buddies that helped me had made a couple before too. So we had all the little problems figured out before hand. Only took us a day to put it all together. I've always stored it in a shed so no sun damage whatsoever. I should get it out and paint it again and tighten up a few of the bolts on the hinges. I may have to set it out on a spot my town this year and leave it out there, might as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 69