Ice fishing newbie. Advice requested. Location = Devils Lake. Opening Pandora's Box!

So Ca Transplant

Ok, so I am very interested in ice fishing for the first time in my life. Recently moved to Grand Forks. Recently fished on Devils Lake shoreline at bridge on hwy 57 and had a blast with excellent success (see by previous post in Shore Fishing titled, "East Devil's Lake - Any help is greatly appreciated".

Based on my previous and first ever post in this site, I am sure I will get a wide variety of advice, which will all be much appreciated. So here is my situation. I have cold weather clothing to do ice fishing. I do not currently own any type of ATV or truck or fish house. I have seen numerous videos of ice fishing on Devils Lake for walleye, giant perch, and pike (including dark house spear fishing, which I also find fascinating). Also as of today I do not own any ice fishing gear, other than a bucket with a cushion top to sit on. And I am so new to the area that I do not know anyone who has ice fishing equipment I can go with or borrow. I will most likely only be in the area for the next 4 months and someone who never planned on living in this area but am enjoying the outdoor activity opportunities available.

So I was thinking if I did some research of aerial photos and topographical maps of Devils Lake, I might be able to identify a few potential spots that I could walk to while pulling a small sled with basic ice fishing gear from my parked car, punch holes with a manual auger and do my best to find and catch fish (don't care what type of fish as long as they are of eating quality, but I have yet to catch a walleye or perch) without a fish finder is doable? I understand that this may be work but is it realistic? Suggestions regarding equipment, tactics and locations are all welcomed.

My other thought was to hire a guide for my first time out and learn as much of the basics as possible in one day that would be enough for me to make a subsequent ice fishing trip on my own. I also know I may be opening Pandora's box here with all of the possible options and opinions but at this point I have nothing to lose, am not faint of heart and can take a harsh reality check. Proof of my character make up is, I am an Army veteran who served in the 82nd Airborne Division as a medic in Desert Shield/Storm!

I thank you for taking the time to read this post and if you decide to take additional time to offer me advice, I sincerely thank you and look forward to reading your thoughts. #$%^&>

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
People will bitch at this, but i would use a 6in manual auger, it is just easier to drill a hole, and remember to just have fun

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
People will bitch at this, but i would use a 6in manual auger, it is just easier to drill a hole, and remember to just have fun

932CC570-B2F0-448E-A3B4-5D86F5AC5DDE.jpeg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I started ice fishing many years ago with an axe to open a hole. Then graduated to an ice pick. Thought I was in heaven when I finally bought a hand ice auger. Yes they do work and much easier to use a 6 inch instead of larger. It also doesn't require a huge investment in equipment. Pretty sure you won't have much trouble finding videos that will provide info on lures etc. Lot's of videos will show all the newest equipment and you can spend thousands but you don't need to.

A guy told me one time when I asked "How deep were you fishing?" He had no idea. His response was "You don't need a depth finder to catch walleyes, If you don't catch one in 15 minutes, move." There are things that make it easier to catch fish but not required. As in all outdoor activities, a lot of stuff is designed to catch the user as much as the prey. Have fun.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I lived in Forks, didn't own a stitch of ice-gear, and wanted to make sure I caught a few walleyes through the ice, I'd head for Lake of the Woods (LOW) and rent a house from one of the resorts. All you'll need is a rod or 2 and some jigs. The resorts have houses in place (and they keep them on fish), the holes are drilled, the heat is on when you get there, and in most cases, they'll drive you out to the house so you don't have to take your car out onto the ice.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
cabelas has those augers you just need a basic drill -- great for early ice. Plus used jiffys are a dime a dozen and they will run for 30+ years

Weather does not look great -- the LT has been changed. So it will be a while.

As far as spots -- you cant miss the community holes. Just pirate a couple holes.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Look on Google Earth and see the historic aerial photos to find the old shoreline/submerged trees. This has helped me a lot on that lake.
Also, Perch Patrol has some great guides for very reasonable prices. They will help you understand the lake a bit better.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cal guy,would be better to view the latest "contour map " of devils lake as we can all see the topo lay of the land around devils lake,suggest renting a house out of woodland resort for starters in creel bay,early in the season,they might supply you with a flasher as well,that should get you started,don't follow the crowd either if you venture out solo,that can be a shit show,fishing in the sunken tree's can be productive all winter.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rather help a Cali guy then a mn guy on devils. Blue platers are horrendous here. Mn should have all the fishing opportunities in the world but instead the lakes suck and they have end America protest over there. Happy Friday!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't spend all of your time of Devils Lake. Get to know some locals, keep asking around more and more and find some of the "prairie potholes". There are ALOT of them out there with some dandy perch....

Best advice I can give you is keep it light so you can stay mobile on early ice when fishing "should" be near it's best.

SS729

If you need some fishing rods. I have some older ones that will work for you to start with. I have a lot.. also may have some other stuff to get you going. I would start on small stuff maybe for perch or northerns at the diversion by Gf. Or there is some lakes in MN that aren't to far of a drive to get some panfish... Give me a call 701-741-4835 and see if I can help you out I live in EGF Mn so close by.

And Enslow great comment about the blue plate. I have blue plates, but probably lived in ND longer than you have before I moved to EGF. That comment just shows pure lack of intelligents on your part .. This is why I don't post much on this site.. Shane

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I lived in Forks, didn't own a stitch of ice-gear, and wanted to make sure I caught a few walleyes through the ice, I'd head for Lake of the Woods (LOW) and rent a house from one of the resorts. All you'll need is a rod or 2 and some jigs. The resorts have houses in place (and they keep them on fish), the holes are drilled, the heat is on when you get there, and in most cases, they'll drive you out to the house so you don't have to take your car out onto the ice.

SDMF beat me to it. If your only here for a short time don't waste your money on ice fishing gear you may never use again. Arnesen's Resort at lake of the woods has everything you need. Drive your car to the resort and hop in one of their tracked rigs and they will haul you out to one of their houses. All you would need is a couple cheap rods and a few lures. Usually have plenty of action. Early ice is the best.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would think if they did all that for you they would provide a couple rods and tackle....??? Those would be the easiest of any of it!

Brasmunky

Established Member
There are quite a few veteran organizations around the area that could get you out and in contact with other local vets to fish with. Im on staff for Hometown Hero Outdoors in Minot. We also have staff in Devils Lake and Grand Forks. Check your messages i sent you a PM

So Ca Transplant

I started ice fishing many years ago with an axe to open a hole. Then graduated to an ice pick. Thought I was in heaven when I finally bought a hand ice auger. Yes they do work and much easier to use a 6 inch instead of larger. It also doesn't require a huge investment in equipment. Pretty sure you won't have much trouble finding videos that will provide info on lures etc. Lot's of videos will show all the newest equipment and you can spend thousands but you don't need to.

A guy told me one time when I asked "How deep were you fishing?" He had no idea. His response was "You don't need a depth finder to catch walleyes, If you don't catch one in 15 minutes, move." There are things that make it easier to catch fish but not required. As in all outdoor activities, a lot of stuff is designed to catch the user as much as the prey. Have fun.

Thank you very much. Guessing from your handle you are retired....but you are still educating and it is much appreciated. I do enjoy the beauty of keeping things simple!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look into that option.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are just here temporarily, I will for sure loan you a hand auger, rods and tip ups. Even a tackle box with ice fishing shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Tip up fishing for pike is easy and enjoyable.

Coldfront

Established Member
If you are interested in a K Drill I have a 7.5" for sale. All you would need is a Milwaukee Fuel M18 or a 20 volt Dewalt brushless XR drill.

So Ca Transplant

Cal guy,would be better to view the latest "contour map " of devils lake as we can all see the topo lay of the land around devils lake,suggest renting a house out of woodland resort for starters in creel bay,early in the season,they might supply you with a flasher as well,that should get you started,don't follow the crowd either if you venture out solo,that can be a shit show,fishing in the sunken tree's can be productive all winter.

Touche....I stand corrected about contour and topo maps. Thank you for the additional tips

- - - Updated - - -

If you need some fishing rods. I have some older ones that will work for you to start with. I have a lot.. also may have some other stuff to get you going. I would start on small stuff maybe for perch or northerns at the diversion by Gf. Or there is some lakes in MN that aren't to far of a drive to get some panfish... Give me a call 701-741-4835 and see if I can help you out I live in EGF Mn so close by.

And Enslow great comment about the blue plate. I have blue plates, but probably lived in ND longer than you have before I moved to EGF. That comment just shows pure lack of intelligents on your part .. This is why I don't post much on this site.. Shane

Thank you for the tips and offer. I will most likely give you a call soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75