damn rodents

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
iwhackwheat: Yes sometimes a friend, if only knowing who he is makes him a friend, can be a dick and not interested in finding a stranger to be one to.
Brokenbackjack: Land owners can get more than one elk tag in their lifetime on their own land.
guywhofishes 1.8 acres where the elk are is a little on the small size to get one of them their tags and the balance of land is still to small, besides a few years ago i put the land i own in the kids name.

So for a moment in time i just posted something about some elk that come to visit me and just like all needed a moment of a bitch. Was a good year for whitetail hunting with the bow (now 7 since 98). But those 1.8 aces in the middle of nowhere have given me countless hours of peace (with the help of one neighbor) be it planting trees over the years, planting various types of crop, sitting and watching, videos and still picture which at first where with a camera one needed to send the film away, be it several high school kids who have come up and harvested their first bow kill including one age 12 (at his parents request) after spending two years up there with me and then finally getting his first bow kill on the one buck he had pick out and the list goes on, was as good as with my own kids, Life can indeed be good if one wants it to be and even better when one has a bunch of kids and now grandkids who ask grandpa for help. db

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everyone needs a " get my head on straight spot" sounds like you have yours. I have mine that is my garden every spring, summer and fall. Winter is the planning for the next year. LB

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
db’s posts sure seem to trigger people

I don’t get it

I guess I wasn't triggered, just annoyed. He comes on here with a problem and asking for a solution. One is given, but he rejects it because everybody he lets on is a dick. Sounds like all the other whiny landowners that complain to the g&f about deer in their yard but refuse to allow people in to help thin them out, even if it's just does.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think they are nocturnal raiders. People w tags can’t help.

Elk are creatures of habit, they won't go far to bed down. If a person was to hunt , I would throw a couple of alfalfa bales there and come the next morning they would still eating. Then put the hurt on one.

If he doesn't let anyone hunt, then has nothing to complain about. Not every hunter is a dick.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the elk live in Canada but not sure but have bitch to the Canadians too, however my neighbors also have the elk and no one is getting on their land either to hunt elk or anything and they have been asked (even kin folk). It is the way it is and they, for whatever reason, protect all wildlife which is good for me and other than one is comfortable with me being there. That one reason has nothing to do with hunting but personal and somethings that can be fun to.

Yes i did bitch about the elk as my plot is not for them and they are not welcome. 1.8 acres and i am to let people come on to hunt elk or whatever? All can make their own plots to hunt on, they do not need my 1.8 acres. Maybe once or twice they have been there in daylight over the last five years. Not going to rid the elk by hunting on my 1.8 acres. As one said, talk to my neighbors who own the land where the elk must have their home.

But i did get a private message from another (a stranger to me) on this site asking. It was a positive visit and i did open my spot to him but said there are other spots by the peace garden that it is like hunting in ones cow herd and the farmers there that i know will welcome you. In the end it was the wrong unit.

Lbrandt: Love the garden to and do bitch and whine when whatever seems to eat my corn kernels up every spring. Must replant seeds about 3 or 4 times a year in parts of it. Treated corn does seem to help as does rotation and putting chemical on to kill bugs. I assume i kill the good ones to.

My spot has been open. I have been burn and it does affect ones thinking, So i will continue to bitch about elk and for the right people i will let in my stand and have. But again, 1.8 acres where the elk do not live and come up 99% of the time at night, it will not fix my problem.
I agree, those damn neighbors who own the land and will not let anyone on. But to the best of my knowledge they do not bitch. only me and in the end i am comfortable with them locking up their land.

So what do i do, live with it as i have the last five years, just thought i would post. Who knows, but no way planting food or filling a feeder up will i stop elk from coming. Only by leaving the feeder empty and i already have my whitetail for this year but i have others who have not and have asked so i will continue to feed the elk besides the coons and whitetail. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Solar powered electric fence strung high. You will get your wire ripped out some but if you use that poly tape electric wire its easy to fix. Once they get the shock they lean fast. I use it around my sweet corn when its about ripe and my fencer is good for like 26 miles, so when its less than 800ft coons get one good fry and then never come back. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
lbrandt:

A bigger issue for me is the neighbor's cattle. About two months ago about 160 feeders came from Canada and it did not take them long to level the two food plots i had there. Then every year a closer neighbor's cattle come up a hand full of times to eat in feeder.
Coons, if i use the feeder in the picture they cannot eat from it so now to get serious with the coons instead of trapping like i have done i plan to order a few more of those feeders.

Electric fence, for the cattle and elk which appear to be larger than the cattle you mention string it high (how high). Wife has told me a number of times to get an electric fence up there. So how does that affect the whitetail deer? Not aware of the poly tape wire so will need to check out. Probably need about 3-400 yards and i thought to use a battery but need to check out solar source. Growing up i do know that livestock learn quick about electric fence (so did we as kids).

Anyways thanks, will need to pursue this next year and maybe for me that will work on elk as there will not be any hunting on the land next to me were the elk live. Just not going to happen even if i wanted it to happen.
Did check camera this afternoon and 4 spike elk came up early morning during dark. Appears spikes do not travel with those with racks? no/yes
Again thanks but by next year the CWD may change all of this. db

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes it should be that simple. But over the years and there have been many it just funny how it works out sometimes and has for me.

The last time an adult friend who was not close but still consider a friend told me he was having troubles harvesting a deer and wonder if he could come to my place and shoot one as he felt i had all kinds of deer on the land (not by accident but by providing habitat). I said yes and told him to just go over there and sit and before night fall you will have your deer.
I went to check on him late afternoon and found about a dozen people walking through the trees. Yes it should be simple. db

Its people/friends like this that ruin it for everyone else that tries to ask for permission to hunt land, then said landowner sees, finds out said hunter invites a ton of people with him. Landowner shuts everyone else down because one dick ruined for everyone else. IMO
Should be simple just like you said db-2

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clicking on this post I did'nt expect a couple of young elk bulls sparing,Issues with rodents at my place are the damn squrriels,burned up 100 rounds of .22 long rifle quiet loads,figured I shot between 70 -80 grays and a few reds raiding my bird feeders,and two wood chucks from may thru oct,hopefully the neighborhood is cleaned out.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
get some of lycan's fish slurry, spread it around for a few days, and presto, nothing will come near you or your feeder.

Not positive on residual effects, but should be minimal.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple orchard near my house uses cheap bar soap tied around the trunk of they're apple tree's to keep deer away,might work on your elk DB.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you try a high electric fence, try it really high so the elk and cows have to reach up some and other animals can go under, tie some cans on it to get their attention and if they act like other animals they will sniff the cans and get shocked on their sensitive noses. I used to keep sheep in with a 2 wire electric fence after training them with cans on the wire by fencing off 1/2 the corral. Electric fence isn't very effective through wool but sure puts the buzz to them though their noses and they learn fast.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
db you have it real rough haha wish i could complain about elk on my land. Life must be pretty good.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Clicking on this post I did'nt expect a couple of young elk bulls sparing,Issues with rodents at my place are the damn squrriels,burned up 100 rounds of .22 long rifle quiet loads,figured I shot between 70 -80 grays and a few reds raiding my bird feeders,and two wood chucks from may thru oct,hopefully the neighborhood is cleaned out.

I hope you've filled many a crockpot and pie crust. Tree squirrels provide a fine meal; way beyond goose and sharptail.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell I'd be pretty stoked to have elk on my trail cam. I'd just feed more if they are eating it all.

I guess I bitch about turkeys at my feeders but I let people in to hunt them. That combined with some bad hatches and tough winters has really led to a decline in turkey numbers in my area.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
moose

Attachments

DSC00093.jpg DSC00094.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96