damn rodents

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SSS, don't show all your pictures to everybody

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the inputs.

I feel i gone over allowing other hunters on my 1.8 acres enough to cover that method.

The use of an electric fence is something i will try next year. Just need to put around the feeder area. Enough alfalfa, various clovers, beans and brassicas for all to eat on in the plots and am not concern with that food running out except were the cattle came in. Hopefully that does not happen again. Moose really like the brassicas and it appears do not eat much from the feeders. They do leave nice sheds but i think most end up in the cattails.

It is good and again thanks all. db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you've filled many a crockpot and pie crust. Tree squirrels provide a fine meal; way beyond goose and sharptail.

naw nieghbor took a bunch at first,then I started putting carcasses on a table along my creek on my back 40,spring I had a nesting pair of barred owls feeding on them,later mid summer redtail hawks moved in took over the duties after they ran off the owls.

post your crock pot recipe for these critters,neighbor bakes them and sometimes on the grill. he claims just like frog legs they taste like chicken.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brine them like a chicken. Then fry like chicken. Bake to tender.

Fried potatoes on side.

Tastes just like squirrel.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy to be honest,all the squirrels I bag are movin with flea's,I use a grabber and dump them in a 5 gal bucket as they are infested with flea's.

Thanx for the recipe but I don't brine chicken just dry rub,brine kosher salt and brown sugar? my salmon brine.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
quarter them like a chicken

brine using generic poultry brine recipe off interweb

most chickens come already brined

flour/fry using southern fried chicken type flour

- - - Updated - - -

they’re tough after frying

so bake covered for 1 hour or so laying on sliced onions at 325 to get them tender

- - - Updated - - -

I think skinning lots of fox got me to point of not caring about fleas

I usually leave them laying in yard couple hours if cold out

I don’t recall lots of fleas

also - the tiny hairs are your enemy

google squirrel skinning videos for fast easy skinning

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got a good way to squirrel and crow proof a gravity feeder for deer? Damn things are lousy around here.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got a good way to squirrel and crow proof a gravity feeder for deer? Damn things are lousy around here.
setup a kill site blind use a .22 quiet loads. spend a day sniping em,great fun. cripple a crow which will attract more crows (live decoy) to attack wounded crow ,usually you'll get a few more before they figure out "danger" lurks,crows are darn smart. side note for squirrels,at one point I was running low on 22 ammo and still had squirrel issues raiding my feeders,WD-40 worked great,entertaining as well trying to shinny up the lubed up feeder pole.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I was a butt head I would say to get rid of crows and squirrels you need to let people on your land to hunt. Db

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks to me like you could have a freezer full of prime meat.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any hot dish or stew which works for pheasant/chicken will be fine with cottontail or squirrel. It's clean white meat. As with the crow technique, don't immediately retrieve the squirrel. I've stacked three in a pile. This will also allow fleas to abandon the cold carcass.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75