Dog misdiagnosis

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
winston.jpg
Winston my first dog as an adult. Still miss that guy every day

cedar2.jpg
Cedar my second dog. Opening weekend of pheasant season last year found out he had cancer hunted that weekend didnt want to end.

banks.jpg
Banks my puppy now he is a blast its amazing how each dog has their own personality and find a place in your heart

Attachments

cedar.jpg

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
B09DCDE8-BD05-4A62-B9D8-6262F6A22CF2.jpg
Daisy our 4th shorthair, we haven’t been out yet this year, but it will be her first season hunting by herself...the other 3 are all up there in the Happy Hunting grounds with all of the dogs you guys lost too soon as well.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: Took the dog in to see what alternatives there might be to save him. Vet did chest xrays and did a local biopsy to send off to the vet oncologist in Mpls. She said she noticed lesions on his chest which indicates the cancer is possibly spreading. Only options at this point is try some steroids to control the spread/size but it won't do anything to eliminate, just prolong life. The surgery to remove the tumor is $6,000 and that doesn't do anything to help the lesions on the chest. I doubt that is even a viable option.

It cost $550 to find out he has a tumor and $850 to get the chest xrays, biopsy, sedation, etc. Don't think that after $1,400 I'm ready to dive into a $8,000 additional expenditure. Just can't pull that trigger.

Most likely the news back next week Wednesday will be uninspiring. I'll just keep him comfortable and spoil the shit out of him for the next 45-60 days.

Vet here in Bismarck said the tumor will likely continue growing rapidly and not only shut off the colon but also end him being able to urinate, which will cause kidney shutdown. She said I'll easily know those changes and want to have him put down. FUCK YOU 2020! :mad:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear the bad news Up. Our Zoey ended up having 3 different types of cancer and she was a tough trooper through it all.
Miss her dearly and all the fun we had. She was a Saint as she never got into anything or tore anything up.
Only thing is she hated skunks and got sprayed by everyone she saw! Sure miss cleaning her up after getting sprayed and we never thought we would say that.
Make the best of it for him and take pictures of you two together. You will cherish them down the road!
Thoughts and prayer sent your way!!!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cancer in dogs can be prevented but they have to eat and drink a healthy diet. Just like humans. Look at what dog food you are feeding them. No fluoridated city water. None of those crappy dog treats like puparoni. I know you think you are being good to your dogs but most of the treats are terrible for dogs. We have never had cancer in our dogs but they get well water and healthy dog food to eat. Any treats are something like pig ears. One ingredient. Not 50.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"Cancer in dogs can be prevented"

That's a pretty bold statement, Bacon. There are so many unknowns with cancer, not to mention it is as different in each individual as the differences amongst individuals themselves whether we are talking about humans or dogs. Cancer is not a virus or foreign substance, it is your own cells replicating faster than normal, so each individual case of cancer is as unique as the cells of that individual.

The truth is, if you don't get cancer NO ONE knows exactly what the magic recipe of events over a lifetime were that prevented you from getting it. If you do get it, NO ONE knows exactly what the magic recipe of events over a lifetime were that allowed your body's normally functioning cells to eventually begin to start dividing and replicating out of control. We can come up with guesses and theories and have ideas of what some contributing factors were, but we don't ever know exactly why or why not.

I'm glad you are confident in the food you feed your dog, but don't confuse that with a sure-fire prevention of cancer.
Plenty of dogs get cancer long before their body has even had a chance to have any ill effects from their diet, and what's great for one dog (or person) isn't always what's great for another dog (or person).

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess your right Dirty. If it’s not in a shot or a pill it’s not gonna work. Eating a healthy diet. What would that help? Ever heard the term you are what you eat? Where do you think cancer comes from? It can’t be all the chemicals and preservatives we put in Our bodies on a regular basis. So you tell me. You don’t think disease can be prevented just treated? The drug pushers taught you well.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Easy, buddy. Holy shit you are wound tight today.

I never said eating healthy or feeding your dogs healthy food was bad. Eating healthy is great for all sorts of reasons whether your a person or a dog. Saying you can prevent cancer in your dog by feeding them a certain way, however, is a pretty bold statement. My point started and ended with this.

I’m not God so I’m not trying to act that way with this response, but here I go giving you an answer you can keep within the context or take way out of context as you wish. I’ve spent 15 years working directly with HUMAN oncology patients and with providers whose lives are dedicated to it. I’ve seen those who lived the most unhealthy lifestyle all the way to those who did everything “right” health wise. Oncology patients from toddlers to 100 Years old + Get diagnosed with one type or another so to say their diet is what caused it is pretty naive, or to say a change in their diet would have prevented it is likewise naive. The known types of cancer are so broad and vast that even lumping it into one medical diagnosis for sake of a discussion is foolish. Causes of each, treatments, and preventative measures are equally as vast. For those willing to listen, the topic is pretty mind boggling. Cancer is not as simple as a diet plan.

You know what though, you did make me realize I’ve been spending too much time on this site again. A guy can’t even make a benign comment without someone getting all pissed off. That is definitely bad for ones health. Time for me to save myself.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cancer in dogs can be prevented but they have to eat and drink a healthy diet. Just like humans. Look at what dog food you are feeding them. No fluoridated city water. None of those crappy dog treats like puparoni. I know you think you are being good to your dogs but most of the treats are terrible for dogs. We have never had cancer in our dogs but they get well water and healthy dog food to eat. Any treats are something like pig ears. One ingredient. Not 50.

well water, no treats or human food . Feed high quality pet food. Regular check ups for my dogs and I feel I watch them pretty damn close and they had cancer. Pig ears are not even allowed as they can be cured with some bull shit. So I guess I don’t know how they got it

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only for sure way you are going to know when buying a purebred dog today is if the breeders are next generation breeders, my definition of next generation breeders is those that not only have extensive lineage of thier dogs and also have the dog genetically tested for genetic defects that are common to that dog breed. Once you start doing all that and also carry a warranty against such circumstances as eyes, hips, or ever cancer that is how you find a dog that comes with an exceptional tag next to it. I will pay for that documentation and warranty especially if that dog is your best friend, imo

I have an anty that has a chihuahua that is 18 years old cant see, barely walk, pees and poops where he wants now. She has fed him plain dog food with beggans his whole life but did the yearly vet check up and he is still alive as of today. The problem is that dog was given to my anty because her daughter had inoperable brain cancer when she was only 11 years old so that dog has lived longer then she did.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

What do you feed your dogs?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fed my dog Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover... ZERO human ingredients, holistic, healthy dog food. Duck, sweet potatoes, chicken (not byproducts), etc. No chemicals, no colorings, absolutely nothing human. For treats he has always had 1 or 2 Milkbones and some of those Greenies or DentaSticks. I had some Pupperoni to fill in those empty spots. Some flat rawhide chips. Almost zero human food except for licking a bowl or plate clean, a few popcorn kernels as I ate (made my own, usually), a peanut half here & there, baby carrots or asparagus chunks when I was cooking supper. I guess I can say that I feel I need to debunk your theory, Bacon, unless the limited Pupperoni is manufactured with carcinogenic materials or I have large quantities of asbestos in my new paint cans.

Believe, me, I've already thought the thousand things I maybe did to cause this. It was the first thing I did, blaming myself. I derived that he got cancer because I spray herbicides on my lawn or crushed concrete and his paws contacted some of that and he licked it off of himself. My buddy brought me back to center by saying the dog could've also got it from any field we walked while hunting as most farmers have crops sprayed all the damn time. Before I beat myself down any further I only have to realize your food comments would only lower my feelings further and I have to know the dog was loved since the day he arrived here in my home. He's been my right hand dude for the past 10yrs, cared for by Doc Buchholz, and the result is a happy going old timer that doesn't realize any of this is going on. He still acts like a 2yo pup with squeaker toys and knows exactly how to give those droopy eye looks when he's thinking of a snack to make his day.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
reading thru these latest threads about cancer and our pup's got me thinking....

years ago I spent many opening pheasant hunting days in kearny nebraska,my contact was a commondies broker,which helped us gain access to 1000's of acres of private land,over time most of the farmers/ranchers I met all passed away at a realitively young age(under 60yrs old) due to some form of cancer,my friend was a health nut,in great shape for 50+ years old,could walk the miles with us young guyz,we talked about all the folks he knew (farmers) that died from cancer,this was mid 90's,at the time the state of nebraska had the highest per capita of cancer related death in the country according to my friend,health experts claimed the majority of cancer deaths amongst farmers were from chemicals used in farming practices /fertilzer's,pesticides,weed control all the above,these chemicals even contaminated ground water,so if true our pup's are effected as well,maybe more so,as they're at ground level working the fields.

.But agreed with a healthy food source for our pup's,15 years ago,dog food called "natural balance" was red flagged,ingredients from china caused liver cancer,I had my pup on this food,sure enough by the time this news broke about this dog food my boy was on the way out at 10years old.

My 1st retriever came from a farm,no high end sire or bitch,lived 15 years+,not much vet work except rabbies shot every couple years,nothing else,nothing for ticks,purina dry dog food...very healthy pup all his life,today our veterinarian send us a note every year telling us we need to update shots for several possible issues,everything from kennel cough to lyme vacines,provo etc.alot of these meds take a toll on our pup's health in the long run,seems the average life expendency of large dog breeds is around 10 years these days,cancer being the #1 cause of death,so whether its a chemical used farming or what our vets inject in to our pup's they don't have much of a chance to live beyond 10 years it seems these days.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fed my dog Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover... ZERO human ingredients, holistic, healthy dog food. Duck, sweet potatoes, chicken (not byproducts), etc. No chemicals, no colorings, absolutely nothing human. For treats he has always had 1 or 2 Milkbones and some of those Greenies or DentaSticks. I had some Pupperoni to fill in those empty spots. Some flat rawhide chips. Almost zero human food except for licking a bowl or plate clean, a few popcorn kernels as I ate (made my own, usually), a peanut half here & there, baby carrots or asparagus chunks when I was cooking supper. I guess I can say that I feel I need to debunk your theory, Bacon, unless the limited Pupperoni is manufactured with carcinogenic materials or I have large quantities of asbestos in my new paint cans.

Believe, me, I've already thought the thousand things I maybe did to cause this. It was the first thing I did, blaming myself. I derived that he got cancer because I spray herbicides on my lawn or crushed concrete and his paws contacted some of that and he licked it off of himself. My buddy brought me back to center by saying the dog could've also got it from any field we walked while hunting as most farmers have crops sprayed all the damn time. Before I beat myself down any further I only have to realize your food comments would only lower my feelings further and I have to know the dog was loved since the day he arrived here in my home. He's been my right hand dude for the past 10yrs, cared for by Doc Buchholz, and the result is a happy going old timer that doesn't realize any of this is going on. He still acts like a 2yo pup with squeaker toys and knows exactly how to give those droopy eye looks when he's thinking of a snack to make his day.

I did the exact same thing as you after neco got sick wondering did I kill my sweet boy, I internalized many different outcomes as to how could he get cancer at just a young age. I fed him only 2.5 cups of mixing two different dog foods of taste of the wild bison &venison, Purina pro plan beef because neco stomach never did well on chicken it gave him the runs, he still had soft stool no matter what i fed him though. He also was a naught boy who his dad never taught him about only eating when I say he can eat which is the reason he would scarf up his chicken strips if I didn't put them up where he couldn't to them, he also got Milkbones and Pupperoni through out the day. He got plenty of exercise everyday i worked and on the days off not as much. No I think unless you can get your dog dna tested to find out what defects he was born with and raise him accordingly its just a gamble that we are willing to make to pay for otherwise good genetics such as instincts color or size.

How genetics have worked in US humans has been up for debate but if you have the money and are not afraid of knowing , it can be beneficial to living longer healthier life. I use Angelina Jolie as an example of genetic testing and pre cancer surgery in the form of a double mastectomy and hysterectomy She was willing to remove both her beautiful money makers and the plumbing to live a life that her mother you died of breasr cancer could not.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Results from the oncologist vet in Minnepolis returned. Confirmed cancer tumor in the anal sack, colon, and lymph nodes. It has also spread to the chest and likely will shorten the dog's remaining days on earth. I could opt for chemotherapy, but I just cannot do that, with a vet knowledgeable with the procedure here in Bismarck (Missouri Valley).

So, back to square one and $1,500 already out of pocket. Palliative care and keeping my buddy nearby with lots of love for the next 45 days.

:(

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole thread gives new meaning to “lead a horse to water but can’t make them drink”. A vet will help you with disease in animals about as much as a medical doctor will help with disease. That would be zero. I tried I guess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76