Tip ups

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t really ice fish at all. But the grandson wants tip ups for Xmas. What ones do you recommend. I see the traditional ones and the ones that cover the hole up. Must be pros and cons of both. And how many lines can a guy have ice fishing now.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=4]Ice Fishing Regulations[/h]Ice fishing is defined as hook and line fishing that occurs while on the ice. See page 10 for waters open to hook and line fishing.
A maximum of four poles is legal for ice fishing. However, when fishing a water body where both open water and ice occur at the same time, an angler is allowed a maximum of four poles, of which no more than two poles can be used in open water.

https://gf.nd.gov/fishing/regulations-guide/2020-22#manner-hook-line-ice-fishing

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
fabrill pro thermal -- those are my faves

- - - Updated - - -

i had one with a light on it -- thats even better for a kid

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get the hole covering ones, the others just freeze up so quick with our ND wind. I personally prefer the HT to the Frabills.

Tip ups are a good cheap way to add lines and be able to fish different depths. For line I prefer the plastic coated stuff that kind of resembles fly line. It doesn't freeze or get tangled near as much after you've pulled up a fish.

Nothing more exciting while ice fishing for the kids (or adults) than chasing flags.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought some foam circle deals that go around my tip up, seems to help.
I rarely use them anymore, as with the Ranger, and flip over we dont sit to long, unless the rare bite settles in.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I like the Frabil insulated tipups as others have mentioned. Get a couple of those but splurge and get an iFishpro or two - they are tipups, but set up to your rod.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
frabill insulated tip ups are my favorite and I use them quite a bit

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Frabill Pro Thermals are the way to go, but if I bought new tip ups they would be the ifish pros so I can use rods

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish Frabil would have kept their original design and just filled them with foam rather than the exposed bottom styrofoam they have now. That shit freezes to the ice and busts.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When you buy the Tip-Up's, get some good Cleats so when he is running chasing flags he doesn't crack his head

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the frabill pro tip ups. Only bad thing I can say is if using a 10" hole they tend to float in the hole instead of lay over it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't use tipups fishing pards do,hell they even use wifi so we can play cards and not worry about missing a flag,for walleye night bite they rig a flag light and a buzzer in the house,kinda fancy for youngens,just the basic's will make them happy,don't forget a "depth bomb" either

eyecatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I riveted on some little hinges on mine so it’ll sit over a 10” hole. Hinges are nice so they still fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
HT thermals are what I like the most. The telescoping flag is visible from a ways away. They stack nicely in a bucket and are easy to reel in. Only con is the metal on the flag will freeze up and break on occasion, easy to replace though. Would not recommend any of the thermal style for 10" holes, they will float in the hole then freeze in it if left unattended for a while. I also have arctic warriors for nicer days. Your grandkids will love chasing flags!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So anybody with experience with Thunder Bay brand portable houses?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76