Tip ups

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the clam thermals and really like them. They are also big enough to cover a 10" hole. I've been running them for 3 seasons now and have not had an issue.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wish Frabil would have kept their original design and just filled them with foam rather than the exposed bottom styrofoam they have now. That shit freezes to the ice and busts.

I like the original design for the way the trip mechanism is set up. I had two of the newer models and just gave them seats because I’ll used the old ones before messing with the new ones.

You can buy the black pro thermals and they have an enclosed bottom with no exposed foam. More $ but worth it for some

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Does anyone know of a good light for a tip up? I had a couple of Frabill Lil shiners, dropped one down a hole and one must have gone bad over the summer. Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with any other brands. These are around $11-12.

1851478_1.jpg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone know of a good light for a tip up? I had a couple of Frabill Lil shiners, dropped one down a hole and one must have gone bad over the summer. Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with any other brands. These are around $11-12.

1851478_1.jpg
I have about ten of those frabill lil shiner lights. Secret to those having good battery life is you should back off the battery cap enough so the light no longer comes on when upright. After the season I will take the batteries out so they do not drain. My batteries have lasted quite awhile doing this process.

If you could win the lottery and find frabill arctic siren tip up alarms that would be the best one ever made. Very loud siren and lights but unfortunately they discontinued them years ago.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will agree with everyone and say thermals. I have the Frabils and like them due to the fact that you can keep your hook attached and place it in the storage compartment on the top. In addition, I watched a video where a guy placed hand warmers in the compartment to add more warmth. I haven't tried it yet since I haven't been out when it's been that cold.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I do back mine off when not in use but have not taken out the batteries. I see clam has one out now anybody tried that one?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I clip shore fishing jingle bells to my flag poles. They make a hell of a racket when the flag trips.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I have seen these but I don't think I want to go that way.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the bells for summer fishing but I am looking for something when we are in the Ice house. We usually set a couple away from the house and if its windy might not be able to hear them. I know I'm being picky.

elkeater

Look up, lighthouse tip up light, I love them. They work every time and make your tip up easier to to trip. More expensive but worth it to me.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bluetipz are pretty awesome. No need to stare out the window anymore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76