HUB ice shelter recommendations

bink

Hey everyone, looking for a recommendation on a HUB style pop up ice shelter. I ice fish by myself frequently but occasionally will have 1-2 people with me, usually just the 1 though. I have two big concerns, keeping out of the wind and it fitting in my Colorado's 5'1 box with my other gear. Whats everyones thoughts?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a eskimo 949i. Love it. I usually fish with a buddy or by myself. If it’s windy, I just put a couple ice anchors in the base before I pop it up. Doesn’t take up much space to haul. Regardless of what you get, make sure it’s insulated, much easier to keep warm and less frost.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ditto on the insulated and ice anchors go in easily with an electric drill. Then make attachments to use with ice anchors.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Make sure you anchor even if it is not windyvwen u set up. I 2nd the Eskimo 949i. 25mph wind is about my limit with it tho

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo for me to. Had a clam and the Eskimo is way better built.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for Eskimo 949i. I fish alone most of the time and its really easy to setup and take down by yourself. Get the anchor attachment for an electric drill. Its amazing. I threw away the straps that it comes with and use cam buckle straps instead. After I fold it up I wrapped a cam buckle strap around it and pull it tight and then put it back in its bag. Also DO NOT throw the ice shavings from drilling your holes around the outside of the house to seal it up. Doing that will freeze it down solid to the ice. I made that mistake the first time I used mine and will never do it again.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'm going to break the chain, im.a big fan of the otter hubs. Much better but then the eskimo. Otter seems to have better hubs and fabric.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for Eskimo 949i. I fish alone most of the time and its really easy to setup and take down by yourself. Get the anchor attachment for an electric drill. Its amazing. I threw away the straps that it comes with and use cam buckle straps instead. After I fold it up I wrapped a cam buckle strap around it and pull it tight and then put it back in its bag. Also DO NOT throw the ice shavings from drilling your holes around the outside of the house to seal it up. Doing that will freeze it down solid to the ice. I made that mistake the first time I used mine and will never do it again.

I second the electric drill tool and the cam system. I’ve been using nite ize since day one. Ice shavings for drilled holes is fine as long as you don’t place the slush on the edge of the skirt. Placing it lightly on the skirt/side wall junction leaving the flap edge free is the trick to getting a seal without freezing your house down.

- - - Updated - - -

Park your vehicle up wind, anchor the corners facing the wind, then attach your side wall cams to your vehicle rims, side steps, etc.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an otter --- when i bought the eskimos were black inside. I like light ====we dont get enough of it in the winter.

snow only on the skirts ----- if its windy i use my yukon and only take one friend.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a clam 5000 thermal. I Like the house, at least 5 winters using it and still no issues BUT I dont think I'd pay close to $500 for a hub again. I can only assume it was so much because Jason Mitchell himself did some of the stitching by hand

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an otter --- when i bought the eskimos were black inside. I like light ====we dont get enough of it in the winter.

snow only on the skirts ----- if its windy i use my yukon and only take one friend.

Snow isn’t always available

- - - Updated - - -

Violently drilling out holes on glare ice in cold conditions leaves water on the ice. If you set up on the pond, you’re still at risk for freezing your skirt down. Drill softly, remove slush to side, place small amounts on skirt/side wall junction for a seal. Leave the skirt edge uncovered. Go fishing. You’re welcome

- - - Updated - - -

I figured shorthair would know the most about skirts. He wears one when he fishes.

- - - Updated - - -

Then he’s dressed and ready to attend a nearly dead’s dance at the local eagles club later on in the evening.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought the Eskimo 3I. I haven't used it yet, but I put it up in the garage to check it out. Seems like a good hub and should be enough room for me and the little guy.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever --- the otter's fab is thick and wide enough -- -9 times out of ten you dont even need to cover it. If you have to pull it up it wont rip

otter is the toyota of portables.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Otter resort has treated me well. It fishes three guys very comfortably with equipment and has room to move around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75