NEW Ice Fishing JIGS ??

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you put minnows on a rippin rap? Hmm just one or one on each treble? I have one, but haven't got anything on it yet. My deadlines I usually use a plane hook, or sometimes those flutter jig hooks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had those chubby darters for a few years and have NEVER caught a fish on one.

I have caught one fish on a chubby darter. It was a 8.5 walleye through the ice about 12 years ago.

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work night shift at bobcat down in Gwinner. I liked to go fishing in the mornings after work but had issues keeping minnows from freezing over night. I started using artificial baits and can honestly say that there have been many times since that chubby darters and spoons with dressed trembles have out fished live bait in both quality and quantity. Walleye, pike, and perch were always my targeted species.

I have since broadened my selection of lures. I like many different rattle baits, spoons, and even some soft plastics. Color tends to depend on water clarity and species targeted. I feel that rattle type baits shine during active feeding periods while fluttering or swimming actions tend to entice lethargic fish to strike.

The best advice I could give if you are interested in artificial lures for ice fishing is to buy a few of the popular baits and work them at different cadences either under electronics or in a large spear hole. You will see how the fish react to your bait and get a better feel on what makes them strike.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think he meant he uses a dead stick with a live minnow and uses a jigging rap for jigging beside it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chubby Darters have been solid for me. Blue/Chrome has been the best. One day several years ago on the Oahe stateline, I plucked fish after fish out. Jigging raps caught a few, but that day the CD's kicked butt. Fish would rise WAY up, 15' or more, and come get them. Really fun day of fishing. But I'll fish them just as much as a jigging rap.

Side note, a brand new Shiver Minnow made it one fish and 10 minutes for me today. Caught a few, then broke it off shortly thereafter. #3 green and white, can't go wrong!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have hooked and lost many fish with the Raps.

After reading this thread a couple times I believe my problem may be braid and too stiff tackle. You'd think the drag and all the hooks would compensate...NO.

I've hooked twice as many fish as landed on these type lures.

When possible from the wingwalls: Start at the bottom; jig up the ramp, kicking up dust on the bottom by letting out/retrieving appropriate line: Keep the hoop net handy. Not guaranteeing a limit; guaranteeing this works for strikes and hook ups between late Jan and mid May per my experience. There's no reason this tech wouldn't work well year round.

I fervently hope someone will seriously try this shit offshore for salmon and post or PM results.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
mjig05_spb_2_1120x.5db8bfb575765.jpg
Anyone ever use ONE OF THESE.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't seen or used one of those, but one similar. Sebile Vibrato, like a blade bait but better. Fun lure to fish! Not always on, but when it is it can be great!

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you put minnows on a rippin rap? Hmm just one or one on each treble? I have one, but haven't got anything on it yet. My deadlines I usually use a plane hook, or sometimes those flutter jig hooks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had those chubby darters for a few years and have NEVER caught a fish on one.
No minnows or bait at all on the ripping raps! I’ll jig with fast snaps and slow falls or bring it up fast after a fish comes on screen, it’s pretty much something you figure out what they want. But you should be constantly jigging it all day to draw fish in that may be 10-20 feet away swimming by. I will use large jigging motion in order to make more noise through the water column. Then slow it down when a fish comes on screen sometimes pausing for long 4-8 second counts before you move it again! One thing I do know is when the fish are on the feed they will chase it really fast, faster than you think, I’ve reeled as fast as you can and have caught fish right under the ice.
I will run slip float on dead stick with small jig and minnow out to the sides when the fishing is slow.
Colors - natural perch and glow green fire tiger or plain fire tiger.
Don’t be afraid to jig those big #7 they will pound em. Tight lines

Took awhile to respond, for some reason I wasn’t logged in.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks I appreciate the tips. But to be clear, you don't use Rippin Raps on dead sticks with no minnows...? Correct.

I have a pink Rippin Rap, caught one one it i think.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks I appreciate the tips. But to be clear, you don't use Rippin Raps on dead sticks with no minnows...? Correct.

I have a pink Rippin Rap, caught one one it i think.

I never put bait on jig raps, ripping raps, chubby darters or any similar type jigging bait. I will put waxis or minnow heads on jigging spoons though.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone notice a certain color or style doing better than the rest ?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've only ever used Rapala on ice and otherwise. The above look similar in design and I ASSumed.

- - - Updated - - -

Upon closer perusal I would definitely try the Tilly from the wingwalls. Much more logical than Rap IMO.

I forgot to mention this: I'm a die hard braid/artificial guy. One reason is line twist. I could GAF about mono, Fireline, etc: I'm starting to think about fluorocarbon leaders.

One night in the kitchen with beer on the right and a bucket of frozen fish on the left; I filled the sink and began to dick around with a Rap. I discovered it twisted the hell out of the line and would untwist when held still. This worried me at the time as my reels served double duty. Now I know twist doesn't really MAF with braid.

So here you go: The next and last time I went on the ice; I jigged like normal and caught the Big Three on Darling (Grano). Thing is--all strikes occurred when I was letting the lure spin on deadstick. NO head, eyes, guts etc,

This is also when I learned pike cut braid like though Kleenex. I still recommend some sort of hook modification. These deals suck with retention.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76