Ammo shortage is going to last a long time

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody is buying a 9mm when you can't find a box of ammo anywhere in town.

The people with lots of ammo or components must be the ones buying as the shelves haven't been this bare since WWII.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lesson #1: If you're trying to panic buy over priced ammo, firearms and components now, you really haven't been paying attention.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Preparedness can't be argued. Paranoia can. I heard the same thing when Obama got elected. Then the rash of horrible mass shooting happened. The world was ending, guns and ammo were going away, etc. That's the mindset of a coworker who literally has a LIFETIME of .22 ammo in his closet, let along the other calibers. That sure doesn't help the guy who wants to go plinking with his kids on a nice day who is looking for ammo. I've got plenty of what I need. I guess we all have a different definition of prepared. Hopefully they can crank out a bunch and the shelves will be full sooner or later. If you want to get new folks into shooting sports, their has to be ammo available. Nobody is buying a 9mm when you can't find a box of ammo anywhere in town.

You had plenty of opportunities to buy and stock up prior to this. Did you learn your lesson finally?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a waste of your time to care how much your coworker has.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buying ammo.... that’s bush league. Being able to reload for years is the true prepers way

This. I've been teased for years that reloading for .223 and 9mm was a waste of time; that "once you factor in your time its easier and cheaper just to buy factory loads".

I inventoried my slugs, primers, and powders last night. I'll be fine

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
You had plenty of opportunities to buy and stock up prior to this. Did you learn your lesson finally?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a waste of your time to care how much your coworker has.

I have plenty to get me by. And I couldn't care less about what he has or you have. I'm not worried about me, unlike the hoarders. I had a guy call me up tonight looking for .243 ammo for his wife. They thought they had 2 boxes, only had one. Had a scope issue and had to shoot a bunch more than he planned. Can't find any .243 ammo anywhere, that's crazy. I gave him reloads I have to get her out hunting. At some point the hoarding starts hurting the shooting sports in general. Folks who aren't as hardcore as us with plenty of ammo, can't hunt because they don't have ammo. They can't plink because they don't have ammo. The new guy buyer doesn't buy a gun when the ammo shelf is empty. It's not a difficult concept. Ammo greed reduces opportunity for others, bottom line. If that closet full makes you feel better, great.

Sad when simple hunting ammo is gone everywhere. Reloading components are like gold too.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do you need - who are your friends???

got a good buddy - 25 years in the service, prison system, and major metro le - 20 year combat firearms instructor - 5 years contracting training friendlies in the sandbox last go-round...

we talk about this from time to time... i am ill prepared - him - not so much...

he's told me that i am one of his friends he would not kill for food or ammo because he knows what skills and tools i possess that can keep him alive...

i sleep good at night...

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully this is a helpful hint for saving ammo especially if you know your rifle's accuracy. Shooting bugholes from the bench provides extreme pleasure but "minute of softball" at your expected max range has more importance at this crunch time and the availability situation.

"Excess" rounds should be used to test/hone skill in expected field shooting positions. An air rifle or .22 should be fired every day at difficult targets from field positions. I don't currently do this but have: One shot after work at an extremely difficult target. NRA sheet of dots into a catalogue in an old recliner in the basement.

IMHO:

1. Your first shot in the field will be from a cold bbl. Your first and hopefully only group should reflect this by allowing the bbl to become ambient and ensuring EXACT rifle position and hold per shot. Provide special attention to the placement of your left/off hand. It must always be the same for a "true" group from the bench. I incorporate the left hand from the bench to half ass simulate a field hold and never rest it on top of the scope.

2. I've never understood the philosophy of adjusting the crosshairs to intersect with the first shot: Way too much movement and fucking around. Understand/know/practice follow-through. Make the first shot as perfect as feasible while maintaining good follow-through. I believe follow-through; as not emphasized as much as pic/breath/press is THE most important ingredient in a good shot. I've also found the concept the most difficult to teach new/young shooters. The best I've got is: Don't release the trigger until you hear the pellet hit the can.

3. Go downrange with a ruler as the bbl cools OR swag the clicks to desired POI while the bbl resumes ambient. Most common rds provide good service to 300yds with a 2in high zero at 100.

4. Position your body and gun the same as first shot: Your goal should be hitting within a quarter as your main objective is softball at your max expected range.

If you have a range finder and turrets I believe this method is applicable to save shells with a 100yd zero and will save ammo. I realize there's many variables and a fouling shot is your choice.

Hopefully this provides zero with 4 shots or less.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do you need - who are your friends???

got a good buddy - 25 years in the service, prison system, and major metro le - 20 year combat firearms instructor - 5 years contracting training friendlies in the sandbox last go-round...

we talk about this from time to time... i am ill prepared - him - not so much...

he's told me that i am one of his friends he would not kill for food or ammo because he knows what skills and tools i possess that can keep him alive...

i sleep good at night...
your a good cook huh

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully this is a helpful hint for saving ammo especially if you know your rifle's accuracy. Shooting bugholes from the bench provides extreme pleasure but "minute of softball" at your expected max range has more importance at this crunch time and the availability situation.

"Excess" rounds should be used to test/hone skill in expected field shooting positions. An air rifle or .22 should be fired every day at difficult targets from field positions. I don't currently do this but have: One shot after work at an extremely difficult target. NRA sheet of dots into a catalogue in an old recliner in the basement.

IMHO:

1. Your first shot in the field will be from a cold bbl. Your first and hopefully only group should reflect this by allowing the bbl to become ambient and ensuring EXACT rifle position and hold per shot. Provide special attention to the placement of your left/off hand. It must always be the same for a "true" group from the bench. I incorporate the left hand from the bench to half ass simulate a field hold and never rest it on top of the scope.

2. I've never understood the philosophy of adjusting the crosshairs to intersect with the first shot: Way too much movement and fucking around. Understand/know/practice follow-through. Make the first shot as perfect as feasible while maintaining good follow-through. I believe follow-through; as not emphasized as much as pic/breath/press is THE most important ingredient in a good shot. I've also found the concept the most difficult to teach new/young shooters. The best I've got is: Don't release the trigger until you hear the pellet hit the can.

3. Go downrange with a ruler as the bbl cools OR swag the clicks to desired POI while the bbl resumes ambient. Most common rds provide good service to 300yds with a 2in high zero at 100.

4. Position your body and gun the same as first shot: Your goal should be hitting within a quarter as your main objective is softball at your max expected range.

If you have a range finder and turrets I believe this method is applicable to save shells with a 100yd zero and will save ammo. I realize there's many variables and a fouling shot is your choice.

Hopefully this provides zero with 4 shots or less.

why not just measure first shot with reticle dial to bullseye and be done in two shots? Seems like a lot of fucking around for nothing. If you don’t have a reticle to measure with use the 1 inch square on target to do the same in two shots. Then your ready to shoot ten round groups to see what the rifle and shooter are really capable of. And get off the bench I have yet to see one of those in field
conditions

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood the philosophy of adjusting the crosshairs to intersect with the first shot: Way too much movement
Movement is the killer of that technique. I have only tried it one time. It worked great, but for some reason I have never done it since. After reading about that technique I bought a varmint rest and the sheepskin padded vice to go with it. With my rifle locked on the one inch center bull I was able to adjust my crosshair to my first bullet hole, and I was on with one shot. I dont think I have ever had that rest to the field since, but it works great to hold your rifle while cleaning. It sits on my bench with one rifle or another continuously. Which reminds me its about time for the yearly oiling of my browned traditional muzzleloaders.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
so how much is too much? I feel if I don't have a minimum of 200 rounds per hunting gun and 1500 of the staple small arms 9mm 40s&w .223 and roughly 500 of 20 & 12 gauge and 5000 of 22lr my stock is low. I guess I don't think of my amount of ammo as enough for a true pandemic, but enough to get me through a year or maybe 2 backlog ammo shortage. Most of our rounds get used when I go shoot targets with the family. The most I have went through in a day is 1000 22lr, 250 shotgun rounds, 400 pistol rounds, and 500 .223 before in a single range day or out shooting one of the specific group of weapons. I usually restock some of my ammo in this time because a lot of the manufacturers are offering rebates. I usually go through about 40 rounds of whatever gun I plan on shooting deer with during the summer/fall and 1-4 rounds during season. I keep leaning towards reloading but I don't really see the need for a stockpile to me reloading is more for accuracy reasons, but it would be nice to build rounds if this ammo shortage last more than a year.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
so how much is too much? I feel if I don't have a minimum of 200 rounds per hunting gun and 1500 of the staple small arms 9mm 40s&w .223 and roughly 500 of 20 & 12 gauge and 5000 of 22lr my stock is low. I guess I don't think of my amount of ammo as enough for a true pandemic, but enough to get me through a year or maybe 2 backlog ammo shortage. Most of our rounds get used when I go shoot targets with the family. The most I have went through in a day is 1000 22lr, 250 shotgun rounds, 400 pistol rounds, and 500 .223 before in a single range day or out shooting one of the specific group of weapons. I usually restock some of my ammo in this time because a lot of the manufacturers are offering rebates. I usually go through about 40 rounds of whatever gun I plan on shooting deer with during the summer/fall and 1-4 rounds during season. I keep leaning towards reloading but I don't really see the need for a stockpile to me reloading is more for accuracy reasons, but it would be nice to build rounds if this ammo shortage last more than a year.

There are plenty of people here who will be happy to tell you how much ammo and toilet paper you are allowed to have in your house before you get labeled a hoarder.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
why not just measure first shot with reticle dial to bullseye and be done in two shots? Seems like a lot of fucking around for nothing. If you don’t have a reticle to measure with use the 1 inch square on target to do the same in two shots. Then your ready to shoot ten round groups to see what the rifle and shooter are really capable of. And get off the bench I have yet to see one of those in field
conditions

I refuse to accept this because it wasn't my idea.

If you read my #3 I believe we have very similar concepts. I said 4 as one may want to send two more on top of the second shot. I should've included: "Chasing groups in the context of this post burns unnecessary ammo."

As for the 10 shot groups--holy hell. That's way beyond me. I only shoot factory rds and only interested in 3 shot cold bbl groups. You'll never see me on G&A TV.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
As for the 10 shot groups--holy hell. That's way beyond me.
Shooting is fun, but the reality is if you know your rifle, your scope, and your ammo even three shots is a waste. They are all going where your first shot went.;:;popcorn

Edit:
And get off the bench I have yet to see one of those in field
conditions
My knees have finally healed enough from surgery a year and a half ago that I was able to get on the bipod last week-end. That sure felt good. Soft ground in a harvested sunflower field and a 6.5 140 gr ELD-M behind the shoulder of Mrs. coyote.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t know why everyone is buying guns and ammo when Biden plans to tax the shit out of it. Can’t trust a Democrat! Welcome to the Biden gun era!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shooting is fun, but the reality is if you know your rifle, your scope, and your ammo even three shots is a waste. They are all going where your first shot went.;:;popcorn

Edit: My knees have finally healed enough from surgery a year and a half ago that I was able to get on the bipod last week-end. That sure felt good. Soft ground in a harvested sunflower field and a 6.5 140 gr ELD-M behind the shoulder of Mrs. coyote.

its like shooting free throws just because you make one doesn’t mean you will make the next 100. It’s muscle memory running timed dot drills . Making it all second nature so when the pressure is on your not thinking about executing the shot you are just doing it. About 12 years ago I missed a big deer because my shooting was sub standard said that will never happen again. All the time and practice is well worth it when the moment of truth comes. I was sure glad I had done all that preparation when it came to the elk this year. But to just sit down and shoot a plain old group of the bench after the rifle is sighted in is pretty useless

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sort of agree and a little bit disagree Kurt. No offence meant. I dont know about free throws and shooting, but I have shot archery since I was three years ols and Im 72 now. After surgery on both shoulders I shoot a crossbow, but all those years of shooting Ill bet I can pick up any light wieght bow and stick every arrow in a paper plate at 20 yards. I have been shooting rifle since I was seven. After 65 years of shooting a rifle feels like a part of you. Granted at 40 years I needed practice. Now I think I could go all year without shooting and still shoot a .25 inch group. The memory between the ears has gone down hill, but picking up a rifle and the cobwebs part.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot all, and I mean all of my deer right in the ass. Standing still, full on run, facing me, laying down, broadside, doesnt matter. Usually one shot, and they are down, but always an ass shot.

Guess pulling my .270 out once a season(its been 4 off now) and pulling the trigger once a season has really paid off for me.

My son on the other hand shoots quite a bit, and hits the vitals 95% of the time, of course he doesn't have the whiskey shakes, and constant knee pain either..

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot all, and I mean all of my deer right in the ass. Standing still, full on run, facing me, laying down, broadside, doesnt matter. Usually one shot, and they are down, but always an ass shot.

Guess pulling my .270 out once a season(its been 4 off now) and pulling the trigger once a season has really paid off for me.

My son on the other hand shoots quite a bit, and hits the vitals 95% of the time, of course he doesn't have the whiskey shakes, and constant knee pain either..

We all know your a total ass man , so why would shooting them all be any different? :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77