Flip over Ice house recomendations

Huntfish24

Looking for a new 2 person flip over Ice House. I have narrowed it down to the Jason Mitchel Nanook XL or the Eskimo EVO 2iT. looking for recommendations. Thoughts? Thanks

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about the model numbers you're looking at but I have the Jason Mitchell and am happy with it. For me I based my decision on which one would fit in the back of my pickup with the endgate closed. Mine is the 2 person model versus one that allows 3 to fish. I have a cover on my pickup and pretty much leave it in the box all winter so needed to be able to close the back.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the Jason Mitchell Yukon last year. Not sure how it's much different from the Nanook.? I like mine. It's a little hard to load it myself in the back of my truck, but I have a trailer now. I see the Nanook is cheaper, why? I'm just getting back into ice fishing, and haven't fished out of the others so not sure how it compares. I'm going to put some hours in it this year though.

- - - Updated - - -

20200125_164203.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20200125_175744.jpg
1st walleye caught in the shack!!

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I have a Jason Mitchell clam, I can't remember which brand it is but, has the doors on the side instead of the front. Easier to get in and out instead of calling over everything and everyone to get out. That's the one I would go with if I bought a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Hes a link to the one I was talking about.

https://www.fishusa.com/Otter-XT-X-Over-Ice-Shelter?quantity=1&L-Model1=2287&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-rj9BRCAARIsANB_4ABqMaaplLNf6fIdAhOVvUNRpxrULYOv1DafQcP73YZ9aLRDhEUxIQ4aAuz9EALw_wcB

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter. specifically the XT Pro series. I have had a few clam flip overs and replaced them all with otter (Lodge XT Pro and Hideout). Much higher quality but they are more expensive and heavier. If you plan to pull this thing occasionally for short distances your two choices will do. If you plan to take this thing to lake winnipeg and pull it for 40+ miles over a 2-3 day trip you'll regret your decision. Compare the sleds and you'll see a big difference.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
citadel3255-3455.jpg

I have this model, 2 seasons so far. I like it. Insulated is a must, and can actually get mrs johnr to come with now.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
One downside to the EVO’s are having to anchor them in windy conditions. It will slow you do if you’re running and gunning.

One downside to the nanook is the lower ceiling height. High hook sets can result in slapping the rod against the ceiling and missing the fish.

I don’t own either but have been around them a decent amount to know what I don’t like.

I do like the shallow sleds better than deeper. I think there is less draft when there is wind.

good luck

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I to own the Jason Mitchell voyager but the one i own is older modl most likely his first model that doesn't have the white tub, and isn't camouflage but its a full thermal. I actually bought a top thermal model first but ended up buying the full thermal tent a few years later and installed it myself.
If you look online you can find a lot of different used models for a fraction of the price as a new one.

https://fargo.craigslist.org/spo/d/fargo-clam-voyager-thermal-20th-anniv/7220182143.html

This is an exceptional deal on a thousand dollar clam

https://fargo.craigslist.org/spo/d/ottertail-flip-over-fish-house/7219471649.html

This one is like mine a voyager xl but mine is the black inside

- - - Updated - - -

https://touch.bismanonline.com/jason_mitchell_2_man_ice_house_with_supplies
This is a steal

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102