- - - Updated - - -

The breeder has many happy customers good reviews that I got neco from

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine had a warranty against only hip dysplasia for 26 months

- - - Updated - - -

The breeder has many happy customers good reviews that I got neco from

i would let them know. Maybe it has happened to other dogs from the same litter.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did already so far it was only neco, neco really was a different pup he could only play fetch with me for no more then 25 minutes in the morning and would be less each individual time out through out the day. When he was done he would lay down and be totally exhausted for about an hour after words. He would tell me when he was done playing fetch, he would pick up the ball and would head back to the lab. Once he was rested he would be OK but he could never play for long periods of time which I thought was very strange.
When I brought him in to the first vet they asked me if I had over worked him " soured" is what I think they called it but I would never do that to my pet. I don't have a clue why he developed cancer but his mother is nolonger breeding so maybe her later litters became accessible to more defects i don't know.
All I know he was a very well mannered pup layed back easy going until I brought out the ball and leash then he would go ape shit, even when he was so sick he still wanted me to take him outside. If I knew what I know now I would have brought him home so he could have spent more time with me outside and not be stuck in that metal cage.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
there are a couple good breedings on the field trails puppies for sale face book page

1679147475566.png

I wouldn’t buy a pup from that litter. I only want parents with excellent hips and maybe ok if one is only good. Not worth the risk

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t buy a pup from that litter. I only want parents with excellent hips and maybe ok if one is only good. Not worth the risk

it was only an example of breedings out there. Did that pair have any hip problems in the last five generations? If they did their usually never breed again and on that page people are pretty particular and will call some one out in a hurry

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
My yellow lab came from a reputable breeder with all the "papers" and a healthy price but she still died at less then a year old. My next dog was a black lab mix from a shelter. He was the best dog I ever owned and I barely taught him a thing. In fact he taught me way more than I taught him. He was an absolute hunting machine. My point is the more you spend doesn't guarantee a damn thing. Dogs are a crap shoot like everything else in life. I will say I doubt I will go with a pure breed from a "hunting trial expert breeder" again. Those dogs seem too high strung and not as sociable as a family type breeder. Just my opinion. Chances are your next dog will live a long healthy life so make a good decision when picking it out. Good luck with your next pup Lunk!

I can attest to this, Sportsman. I bought my choc. lab / weimaraner from a couple in Minot (BisManOnline) for $125 because their other dog at home wouldn't stop bullying him (he was only there one week as a 11wk pup). I drove from Bismarck and picked him up on the weekend and we've been BLESSED with life together. The trainer said he'd let my pooch decide which switch is turned on, the flusher or the pointer. His light switched turn on both of them! I've seen the point and I've also got the 40ft pan left & right of me. He knows his shit in the field and has a 95% retrieval rate, plopping the bird right into my hands each time.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all let me say that you all can do and spend what you want. As the saying goes "You do you and I'll do me".

The dog in my avatar picture cost me $35. He and the other 9 puppies born with him were a mistake. Guy wanted to send his mom to Washington state to have her bread but the 9 month old male with her did the job instead. So the guy wanted to dump them quick. He could of been papered but beings I had him fixed, I didn't see the need to. Gunnar was a great hunter and loved people. Only thing he chewed up was 1 of the wife's shoes and a feather pillow (that was hilarious ;:;rofl ) Put him down at the age of 10 because of a bleeding tumor in his abdomen and fluid around his heart. His sister sill lives and hunts at the age of 13.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you lunk,climbing back in the saddle,I run goldens,have for over 50 years,all working class pup's,family tree.get grief from my buddies(lab owners) for hunting with a swamp collie,but labs are stubborn knot heads,my experience alot of lab breeders win a couple blue ribbons,have both bitch and male breed more pups which breed in the same line = a high strung pup,just my observation from folks running labs,they fail to review family tree going back 2 to 3 generation.

Here in MN one hell of a field trainer/kennel is well known around the country...Tom Dokken from northfield Mn,google his website for a pup.

FYI

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you lunk,climbing back in the saddle,I run goldens,have for over 50 years,all working class pup's,family tree.get grief from my buddies(lab owners) for hunting with a swamp collie,but labs are stubborn knot heads,my experience alot of lab breeders win a couple blue ribbons,have both bitch and male breed more pups which breed in the same line = a high strung pup,just my observation from folks running labs,they fail to review family tree going back 2 to 3 generation.

Here in MN one hell of a field trainer/kennel is well known around the country...Tom Dokken from northfield Mn,google his website for a pup.

FYI

did you know Dokken is now a sd resident. He hosted a training day for our club last year and hopefully again this spring. I have his book and that’s what I used to start with this puppy.

i guess it’s all in what a guy wants to do my first dog was akc second wasn’t and was a hell of a guide dog and this one I decided I wanted to try akc/hrc hunt test and had wanted a dog from the kennel I got him from since I was in high school and was in a place I could afford it. I have met a bunch of high drive dogs in the last few months but they get in the house and have a great off switch. Best thing I have done is joined a retriever club and learned from people with a lot of experience

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out birddoglabs.com She is in Bemidji area. She has a couple real nice chocolates that she breeds. I have a male pup out of her sire Phoenix. (yellow/red)He's 5 1/2 months. Coming along nicely. Bird crazy! Made some nice retrieves this season already. Killed a muskrat in my yard the other day.
Side note....everyone has an opinion about dogs. And they're all probably right. Some guys got a mutt and it was best dog ever and some spend the big bucks. Just remember, you really shouldn't base your opinion about dogs on just ONE dog you had. When pure breds come with health clearances and solid backgrounds the odds are going to be stacked in your favor of having a good dog. Not guaranteed...but way more in favor of a healthy, good dog.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
did you know Dokken is now a sd resident. He hosted a training day for our club last year and hopefully again this spring. I have his book and that’s what I used to start with this puppy.

i guess it’s all in what a guy wants to do my first dog was akc second wasn’t and was a hell of a guide dog and this one I decided I wanted to try akc/hrc hunt test and had wanted a dog from the kennel I got him from since I was in high school and was in a place I could afford it. I have met a bunch of high drive dogs in the last few months but they get in the house and have a great off switch. Best thing I have done is joined a retriever club and learned from people with a lot of experience

Did not know dokken moved,I'm in transit myself moving to the chamberlain area,I worked with one of dokkens trainers years back,learned a great deal between what makes a #1 trial dog and just a family bird dog owner like myself,hell most if not all retrievers have built in genes to retrieve,just takes patients.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have experience with Silver Barrel Labs out of Flasher? I'm in the market for a lab as well, but thinking yellow.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no experience but when ever I see silver and lab together I get leery.

Can I ask why? I have very little experience with them. I knew one family selling silvers that the adults were crazy, but I figured that was a lack of training or a poor blood line.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today high in retrievers with strong winning bloodlines carry a hefty price tag,with that said bird dogs are big business,breeder I have now Imet thru dokken kennels 15 years ago,had a 45minute interview via phone call then another 3 hours in person to see if I was worthy enough to have one of they're pups,normally a 6 month wait even today,breeding adult blue ribbon pairs give us a 24 month guarantee on hip's ,eyes and elbows,had one pup I had to put down at 18 months as he had cluster seizures,he was fine up to 1 year,litter mates were clear,vet suspected possible brain truma in the field,still at 18 months it was a heartbreaking decision like what lunk went thru,you've bonded,trained your pup,in my case my pup's live in the house,a family member,so my breeder gave a replacement pup which took several months to get but she kept her word,as she is a field trial judge still today so she maintains a good reputation.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
A silver lab is not recognized by AKC or other groups. They are most likely derived from mixing of breeds such as weimeraners. If you are just looking for a pet they may be fine. If you're looking for hunting stock I would 100% stay away. The hunting drive is often bred out of them as they are just purely bred for looks. Many breeds are getting washed out of the sporting world due to them turning into pets with looks. Irish Setters, goldens just to name a few.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can I ask why? I have very little experience with them. I knew one family selling silvers that the adults were crazy, but I figured that was a lack of training or a poor blood line.

silver is a recessive gene of chocolates. Talking to breeders with great reputations most believe breeding that silver gene is a detriment to the breed and people just trying to make a buck off a genetic defect leaves a bad taste in some peoples mouth. I know nothing of that breeder and do t even know if they have “silver “ labs maybe it’s just a cool name of their kennel and they are awesome breeders. Call ask for references and talk to them if it feels good go for it.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do your homework. From what I've read in the past chocolate labs on average live only around 10yrs vs 12 yrs for Black and Yellow and tend to have more health issues.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
silver is a recessive gene of chocolates. Talking to breeders with great reputations most believe breeding that silver gene is a detriment to the breed and people just trying to make a buck off a genetic defect leaves a bad taste in some peoples mouth. I know nothing of that breeder and do t even know if they have “silver “ labs maybe it’s just a cool name of their kennel and they are awesome breeders. Call ask for references and talk to them if it feels good go for it.

Kurt..do you have any proof of the recessive gene? I'm not arguing just curious. I run in a dog world around may area. Have 3 train, hunt etc. (btw Dokken lives a few miles from me) Anyway....no one has come up with where FOR SURE the silver gene is from. Many say recessive gene others say interbreeding. Wondering if you have a link to something new??
I personally know a kennel that introduced Wiems in their breeding years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=3]#1 Mixed breeding[/h]Many people believe that the first silver Labs were crossbreeds.
Not only is this theory plausible, there are clear motives for dog breeders to create a new color variation in an existing breed.
Motives could include financial gain (though they couldn’t have known initially how popular the color would be), attention, or just the sheer fun of creating something new.
silver-lab-puppy.jpg

Diane Welle of Blue Knight Labs does not go quite so far as to directly accuse the breeders concerned
[h=4]She wrote:[/h]“There have been accusations that these “rare” silver Labradors are actually a cross between a Labrador and a Weimaraner.
I will let you be the judge, as there is no evidence at this time, one way or the other.
However, it is interesting to note that Silver Labradors can be traced back to two breeders.
Those breeders are Dean Crist (Culo) and Beaver Creek Labradors.
Both of their lines trace back to Kellogg kennels (LE Kellogg and Harold E Kellogg) Kellogg Kennels began breeding Labradors in 1922.
Guess what else they’re famous for breeding? They’re credited for the ‘rare’ pointing Labrador of course!”
Her point is that ‘pointing’ is, of course, an HPR (hunt point retriever) trait, and Weimaraners are HPRs.
An update to her original article, however, also notes that she previously claimed that Weimaraners were also bred in those same kennels, but found out that that fact was in doubt.

I don't know the answer to this as there are many articles discussing dilute gene as well. Most of the dog guys in my circle believe a combo. Dilute because it came from somewhere else. I guess it is important to note that labs come from the St. Johns dog. Labs originally have several breeds intermixed to make the lab. Including hounds, pointers etc so as Forest Gump says...Never know what youre gonna get!

- - - Updated - - -

oops I meant to copy this one not the previous.
[h=3]Brandi Hunter, American Kennel Club Vice President, Public Relations and Communications[/h][h=5]JUNE 13, 2017[/h][FONT=&quot]According to the breed standard, established by the Labrador Retriever Club, Inc., there are three acceptable colors of Labrador Retrievers. Those colors are Black (all black), Yellow (fox-red to light cream), and Chocolate (light to dark chocolate). Silver is not an acceptable color of Labrador Retriever and is a disqualifying fault. Based on an agreement in 1987 between the American Kennel Club and the LRC, it was agreed that there was no proof that these silver dogs were not purebred and the breeders of the silver dogs subsequently registered them as chocolates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Using parentage testing, it cannot conclusively be proven that silver Labradors are not purebred dogs or are crossed with Weimaraners. The Labrador Retriever breed does not carry the dilute gene dd that appears universally in the Weimaraner and is responsible for silver color.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Responsible breeders are tasked with breeding for health and standard and not solely for aesthetic. While we respect the choice of pet owners to select the breed of their choice, the LRC, Inc. does not view silver Labradors as appropriate breeding stock and believes that they should not be bred. They may compete in AKC events but are disqualified from the conformation show ring.[/FONT]

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt..do you have any proof of the recessive gene? I'm not arguing just curious. I run in a dog world around may area. Have 3 train, hunt etc. (btw Dokken lives a few miles from me) Anyway....no one has come up with where FOR SURE the silver gene is from. Many say recessive gene others say interbreeding. Wondering if you have a link to something new??
I personally know a kennel that introduced Wiems in their breeding years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

#1 Mixed breeding

Many people believe that the first silver Labs were crossbreeds.
Not only is this theory plausible, there are clear motives for dog breeders to create a new color variation in an existing breed.
Motives could include financial gain (though they couldn’t have known initially how popular the color would be), attention, or just the sheer fun of creating something new.
cache.php

Diane Welle of Blue Knight Labs does not go quite so far as to directly accuse the breeders concerned
She wrote:

“There have been accusations that these “rare” silver Labradors are actually a cross between a Labrador and a Weimaraner.
I will let you be the judge, as there is no evidence at this time, one way or the other.
However, it is interesting to note that Silver Labradors can be traced back to two breeders.
Those breeders are Dean Crist (Culo) and Beaver Creek Labradors.
Both of their lines trace back to Kellogg kennels (LE Kellogg and Harold E Kellogg) Kellogg Kennels began breeding Labradors in 1922.
Guess what else they’re famous for breeding? They’re credited for the ‘rare’ pointing Labrador of course!”
Her point is that ‘pointing’ is, of course, an HPR (hunt point retriever) trait, and Weimaraners are HPRs.
An update to her original article, however, also notes that she previously claimed that Weimaraners were also bred in those same kennels, but found out that that fact was in doubt.

I don't know the answer to this as there are many articles discussing dilute gene as well. Most of the dog guys in my circle believe a combo. Dilute because it came from somewhere else. I guess it is important to note that labs come from the St. Johns dog. Labs originally have several breeds intermixed to make the lab. Including hounds, pointers etc so as Forest Gump says...Never know what youre gonna get!

- - - Updated - - -

oops I meant to copy this one not the previous.
Brandi Hunter, American Kennel Club Vice President, Public Relations and Communications

JUNE 13, 2017

According to the breed standard, established by the Labrador Retriever Club, Inc., there are three acceptable colors of Labrador Retrievers. Those colors are Black (all black), Yellow (fox-red to light cream), and Chocolate (light to dark chocolate). Silver is not an acceptable color of Labrador Retriever and is a disqualifying fault. Based on an agreement in 1987 between the American Kennel Club and the LRC, it was agreed that there was no proof that these silver dogs were not purebred and the breeders of the silver dogs subsequently registered them as chocolates.
Using parentage testing, it cannot conclusively be proven that silver Labradors are not purebred dogs or are crossed with Weimaraners. The Labrador Retriever breed does not carry the dilute gene dd that appears universally in the Weimaraner and is responsible for silver color.
Responsible breeders are tasked with breeding for health and standard and not solely for aesthetic. While we respect the choice of pet owners to select the breed of their choice, the LRC, Inc. does not view silver Labradors as appropriate breeding stock and believes that they should not be bred. They may compete in AKC events but are disqualified from the conformation show ring.

i don’t have anything concrete just what breeders have told me and it seems more chocolate breeders are listing if they have that dilute gene that is believed to have that off color. I would have to believe at some point if there is consistent silver coloring at some point a wiem has to be breed in there or a lot of line breeding. I think some one thought they looked cool made a bunch of money and kept doing it with little regard to what is best for the breed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69