Deer Pics and Deer Stories

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG_2887.jpgIMG_2891.jpgThought we could use a deer hunting thread with some pictures and stories. I'll start. My son shot this deer on our opening morning here in Nebraska which was this past Saturday. He hasn't shot a deer the past 6 years because he was determined to pass smaller bucks and hold out for a good one. Not much of a story behind it though. He passed on a similar buck right at legal shooting light that was not as wide. About an hour later he passed on a nice 4x4 that was probably only a 2 year old deer. That deer has some great potential if he can make it through this season. We actually spotted the deer he ended up shooting from about 3/4 of a mile away, but on our way to get a closer look at him, the we came across the 4x4 chasing a doe, so we got a closer look at it before deciding he was just not mature enough to shoot. This deer was 100% preoccupied with his little group of does and that was a blessing as my son sprained his ankle pretty bad a few days before season. He had to wear my boots which are two sizes bigger than his so that he could get his foot in. Luckily we were able to get him close with out much walking. 25-06 behind the shoulder and through the heart and the big fella only went about 15 feet. Was a great hunt with my son and my daughter was along to help with field dressing, washing, dragging, loading, etc.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't start depressing us that haven't filled our tags with deer pics....bout to throw in the towel after seeing some pics already......

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been a good year for deer as we seem to have many and some fairly nice ones as compare to previous years.

I am not a meat eater but the rest our. Family has five bow tags with son, daughter down to grand-daughter and one gratis tag.

In is not the end of the world if we do not fill but would be nice to especially for my grand-daughter and daughter who is hunting with a bow for her first time. Have never fill all tags and i image will not this year either. Since 98 i have killed seven with the bow so not a big killer of deer. 95 was my last rifle whitetail tag. But i have name many and many have come to visit with me.
At this stage of our life we have establish goals and and been lucky enough to have two now within those goals this year. Been a long process but well worth the effort that is an all year long process. For one, it was his forth year up and assume it was at his peak.

Keep sending pictures to my daughter and her daughter for when they come up during thanksgiving. Will see what happens. With some luck and if the arrow will fly true, maybe have a picture or two to post. So best of luck to all db

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our area was devastated by ehd, id say 2/3 of them succumbed to the crap.
Sucks.

20201030_184544.jpg
received_363928404733604.jpg
Resized_20200913_103825.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy smokes!! Anybody else seeing this? What area of the state? Has the legislature acted yet? (Kidding)

I know G&F offered refunds on a bunch of tags.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That sucks 5575...we had the same thing happen here about 6-7 years ago. Multiple farmers reported 50-100 dead deer in 160 acre cornfields. Worst part was that it seemed to effect the larger bucks the worst...
The other thing I remember is that the deer stink, and it wasn't just normal rotten deer stink, to me it seemed the disease did something and they smelled different.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and daughter had doe tags and tagged out. We have been seeing a lot of nice looking deer, but haven't been able to close the deal. I'm thinking I won't get to be so picky this weekend. At this point I'm going to assume that the wife will still hold the title of biggest buck in the house after this year. Good luck to those that still need to fill tags this weekend.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
buck.jpgbuck1.jpgbuck2.jpgFor most of you this probably wouldn't be a big deer but it is my PB so far. I am not a true horn hunter, to many other things that interest me, so most of my hunting year has been about meat and not horns. My dad doesn't hunt or fish but the one thing we have done since I got a bow at 16 is make sausage almost every year. Until a few years ago the only year we had missed was when I deployed for Desert Storm in 1990. The few years I didn't get a deer we made pork sausage, so as I stated meat was my priority over the years. The last few years when I have a buck tag I hold out a little longer hoping for a better one. This year veterans day was a pretty good morning for this veteran. Got to my parking area about 20 minutes before legal shooting time. Started walking in about legal shooting time. About 1/2 hour later and seeing some deer moving about I got to the creek I was going to walk to get an area I was going to watch a hill side for a while. While working the creek into the wind I had a Coyote step out of the creek about 100 yards in front of me and worked his way to about 40 years until he seen me and crapped himself. He lit out and about 200 yards later I see 2 deer across the creek about 150 yards and watched them mill around about 15 minutes until they spotted me and about 5 minutes later the both snorted all the way out the valley. Since at this point there was no wind I figured the gig was up and every deer within a mile knew something was up. Decided to go about another 400 yards of so and watch the valley a while until the wind came up and hunt my way out. So I start heading to my destination and about 200 yards later a doe jumps up in the middle of no where and a few second later this guy jumps up behind her and they are off to the races. At about 260 yards out he makes a slight turn and I get my chance and put one in him. No movement for about 15 minutes, he was in some taller stuff and couldn't see any of him. I cross the creek and start working towards him and up he comes and away he goes, put another one in him and he goes down, gets up a short time later and over the hill he goes, piled up just out of sight on top of hill. First shot was thru the top edge of hind thru the body lodged in the front shoulder between the skin and front shoulder. It hit the liver and he was bleeding terribly inside and would have expired if given a little more time. He's an old warrior 5X6 with part of the main beam broken off. The Taxidermist I gave the cape to scored him at 148. Again not big for a lot of the deer that show up here but a PB for me and a cool rack with a lot of character. A very enjoyable morning in the ND Outdoors.

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8717819C-E832-424E-9640-6FEC9DF18646.jpg
Snuck up over that hill in the background and shot him while he was sleeping. I know that isn’t the most glorious story but is sure is nice when things work out almost too well sometimes!

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
NjRMq3eabwQ4.jpeg
Snuck up over that hill in the back ground and shot him while he was sleeping. I know that isn’t the most glorious story but is sure is nice when things work out almost too well sometimes!

It would have been much more sporting if you ran him down the section line with your pickup and shot off a leg or two in a volley of gunfire, then argued about who’s deer it was with the four other guys in pickups shooting from the adjacent road.

spotting, stalking, and shooting a sleeping deer in its natural habitat is the coward’s way.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a deer story but I was able to tag my first elk this fall out in WY. We were about a half hour NE of Jackson near Gros Venture area. Four minutes into shooting light the first morning we were able to lay the hammer down. The nerves may have gotten to us but he stood there just long enough to drop him with the 'ol .270. It was a great week even though we got run out early by a blizzard. Hoping to make it back in a few years to get the others to tag out.
IMG_3755.jpgIMG_1204.jpg

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is not to exciting, deer ran out, gun went off, deer fell down! BUT it was my largest bodied deer I have ever shot, dressed out on a scale at 204#, and a huge neck to boot.
2020 Rifle Buck 3.jpg2020 Rifle Buck.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How safe is it to harvest a deer this year?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
AF0D5E26-F7DB-43BA-A7E1-0AD355C547AD.jpgC419CAC4-75BC-4589-916C-C6010D872204.jpg
The first deer I laid my eyes on during the rifle season was my target buck. I caught him on his feet bumping a doe in the early afternoon. I was walking out to sit for the day. I snuck to 179 yards and dropped him with a high shoulder shot.

- - - Updated - - -

50A224BC-16EC-4AB2-AB43-8DDC313ADA4E.jpg
he was the biggest bodied deer I’ve ever seen by far. Was an old old buck.

- - - Updated - - -

E9232FB9-5A14-41ED-98E6-DE842A835359.jpg
my boy holding him. He scores 164. Mass and Beams for days.

- - - Updated - - -

D0899EDD-5964-4D33-812C-7E9BA44BD66B.jpg
trail cam pic of him from 2019. Pretty crazy how he lost all the junk. Old warrior going down hill.

- - - Updated - - -

F5ADD2AD-3D2D-4238-BB30-AF33D77E2576.jpg
my son gave me a stuffed deer for good luck to carry with me. This was the first pic I took after I pulled the trigger.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and my 8 year old son sat for this deer 3 times before he finally gave her a shot. Not the biggest buck by any means but she was tickled pink to be tagged out while it was still warmer out. Shot him on October 25th and he was still in full velvet. Perfect quartering away shot that I’m not even sure I could or would have made and he went 10 yards and tipped over. Wasn’t much of a tracking job but the 3 kids were jacked up going to help mom retrieve her deer. Trail cam even snapped a picture of the shot.

Attachments

ECD2A842-E282-4720-88D9-AA37AF5F5EC1.jpg A8ACCCD7-6D3C-4544-A603-7094365C26EA.jpg
Last edited:

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to take a picture until they were at this point. It's the important one anyway.

Deer 2020 pic1.jpg

Did a batch of ribs with the gas grill and an A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube. It was a challenge with the cold wind blowing, but they turned out amazingly good.

Deer 2020 pic2.jpg

Here's the game camera pics of the boys roughhousing before we put them in the cooler.

Deer 2020 pic3.jpg

Deer 2020 pic4.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87