Best New Ice Rods for Walleye/Perch.......Go

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke my custom perch sweetheart last year(sad as it was a favorite and I've had it for 10 years). Anywho, I'm looking to replace it and there are a bunch of new peeps on the scene. Been leaning on trying a TUCR Fusion. Thoughts?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up a JT shiver stick. Supposed to be there in between rod for panfish and walleye. Has a nice feel to it so we’ll see if I get to use it this year.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
It depends how you like to fish, but I would say the TUCR fusion if you are wanting a rod to be used with small spoons and heavy tungsten jigs. I can't say enough good things about Tuned Up!

Greenhorn

Honored Member
It depends how you like to fish, but I would say the TUCR fusion if you are wanting a rod to be used with small spoons and heavy tungsten jigs. I can't say enough good things about Tuned Up!

If fishing larger spoons, jigging raps, smaller rippin raps, I would say to go with the precision.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a scheels brand something or another rod that I paid around $50 for. All the rest are cheap Runnings combos that I purchased pre set up, and spent maybe $35.00 for the entire combo.
Ice fishing rods is something I have never put much money into, not sure why.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ This...totally agree with john. Seems like hook ups and fish lost have more to do with line/lures/hooks than rod/reel when ice fishing...least that's what I've found. Open water...rod/reel makes huge difference.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If fishing larger spoons, jigging raps, smaller rippin raps, I would say to go with the precision.

I'm far from an expert on the topic, but I have a perch sweetheart and a tucr precision and I definitely prefer the sweetheart for perch tackle. Precision seems just a bit heavy for smaller jigs and too light for all but the smallest jigging raps.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^ This...totally agree with john. Seems like hook ups and fish lost have more to do with line/lures/hooks than rod/reel when ice fishing...least that's what I've found. Open water...rod/reel makes huge difference.

You could catch fish with a stick, string and hook, but it's nice to have options.

I like investing in nicer rods. It might be placebo and nothing more. I like quality equipment when I can afford it.

Other people buy sparkly boats and $80k pickup trucks. I buy nice ice fishing equipment.

:;:huh

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bit of a problem when purchasing gear. It doesn't help when I end up trading lures for gear either.

I swapped everything over to a new scheels hard-sided case last night and I realized that I have every scenario covered.

1- ultra light scheels combo for light tackle
1- TUCR precision
1- TUCR power precision
2- TB perch sweethearts
1- TB walleye sweetheart
1- JT walleye snare
1- JT shiver stick
2- JT black reigns

I generally opt for the TUCR Precision around here but I'm sure the JT Shiver Stick will unseat it in the coming months. Either way, I wish I could sell some of these damn thorne bros.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bit of a problem when purchasing gear. It doesn't help when I end up trading lures for gear either.

I swapped everything over to a new scheels hard-sided case last night and I realized that I have every scenario covered.

1- TUCR precision
1- TUCR power precision
2- TB perch sweethearts
1- TB walleye sweetheart
1- JT walleye snare
1- JT shiver stick
2- JT black reigns

I generally opt for the TUCR Precision around here but I'm sure the JT Shiver Stick will unseat it in the coming months. Either way, I wish I could sell some of these damn thorne bros.

I'm listening....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

1- TUCR precision
1- TUCR power precision
2- TB perch sweethearts
1- TB walleye sweetheart
1- JT walleye snare
1- JT shiver stick
2- JT black reigns

I'll give you $100 and lose in leg wrestling for all 3 Thorne Bros;-)

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd give you $105 for the three TB and let you avoid leg wrestling Ahab

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Ahab isn't telling you is that he would lose regardless of available funds. At this point, selling them would only cost me money. They just seem a little too stiff for their intended species.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my TUCR precision the most of any rod, and I think its the most versatile TUCR, but I do think its a bit more of a walleye than perch rod. The fusion along with the quick tip are more of a perch rod I would say, and then the Commander is a full on walleye rod, the precision sits in the middle of them.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php
Use one of these bad boys Ahab. Upgrade your stuff. C'mon man.:cool:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Ahab isn't telling you is that he would lose regardless of available funds. At this point, selling them would only cost me money. They just seem a little too stiff for their intended species.

We'll just arm wrestle for them even up then.;)

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke my custom perch sweetheart last year(sad as it was a favorite and I've had it for 10 years). Anywho, I'm looking to replace it and there are a bunch of new peeps on the scene. Been leaning on trying a TUCR Fusion. Thoughts?

My thought is........If your using that live scope set up you talk about, you should be able to get by with a broom handle and a Zebco 202 ? #$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74