Recommendations for Ice Flasher

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never owned or ice fished with a flasher. Looking for recommendations. Are the features of the expensive models worth it or just go with a base model? Vexilar or Hummingbird? Pros and cons. Thanks.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years, I've owned a few different Flashers (all vexilars). For the money, an Fl-18 is pretty tough to beat. A normal Lowrance or Hummingbird graph work well too. If you have something like that, it might worth and certainly more cost effective buying an ice fishing kit for the unit you already have. If you buy a new standard fishfinder, you could get one with a GPS for an added bonus.
Marcums are nice, but really mess with anyone using a Vexilar. If money didn't matter I'd go Garmin Livescope. There are lots of units out there that will fit the bill. The best is go to a store and mess with them or borrow a buddy's.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a couple Vexilars. Currently have the Fl-18, works perfectly for my and my son using one in the same fish house has rarely been a problem

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its tough to beat vexilar in the flasher world. I've had 3. An 8, 18 and 28. I sold the 8 but still have the 18 and regularly use the 28. I love the additional benefits of the 28 over the 18 but with that said an 18 is a hell of a good unit. The biggest benefit of the more expensive units is the auto-zoom. When fishing deeper water with the 8 or 12 you will find it somewhat difficult to see whats going on. Being able to zoom into the bottom 6' of the water column really helps see what the fish are doing.

I'll second Auggie though, it you happen to have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket go with the livescope.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Vex FL-18 works great for me because of the zoom function as mentioned above. New about $550...can find some used for less than $400. Good solid unit...Vexilar customer service best in the business...IMO.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Auggie. The FL-18 and up in the Vex line are all solid units with the bottom zoom function. There will be lots of units for sale on Bisman and such with the 30 BB out now. I'd keep an eye out and get a used one. Vexilar is awesome to deal with if you have any issues. They're pretty inexpensive to fix.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've used a Vexilar FL20 & 28 a little bit, both great flashers. Owned a Marcum LX6 and the features are great, but i hated having to push buttons to adjust my gain or contrast or switching between modes. Fished the last three years with a Humminbird Ice 45 and absolutely loved it, then gifted it to my dad last year at the end of the season. If speed and ease of use is what your looking for, go with something that has turn dials rather than buttons to navigate through menu's...

I will be running a Garmi8n 93sv UHD that i bought for the boat at the end of the year. Goal is to have livescope by next ice season, just gotta save the money between other projects.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never owned or ice fished with a flasher. Looking for recommendations. Are the features of the expensive models worth it or just go with a base model? Vexilar or Hummingbird? Pros and cons. Thanks.

I was just like you last December. I'm in my 50's and never owned one. Went with the FL - 18 Vex. I think I got mine on Sale at Cabelas for $375, not 550 that's for sure. With my reward points I earned like $25 or more. I used my points on Cabelas. But I din't get the soft case, It came with the Genz-Pack. I'm happy with it! I don't think the other more expensive ones are worth the extra $$, lot of bells and whistles for the same technology.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a poor one to give advice so I'll just give my experience. I bought an FL-8 when Randy Moss was a rookie for the Vikings. Was in Minneapolis to watch them play the Packers and went to see the new Cabela's south of Minneapolis and bought the unit. Have been using it ever since and I think I'm on my third or fourth battery, no other problems. Still using it. It doesn't tell me what's below me but it does tell me when a fish is below me. Mostly a ad for the quality of the unit.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a poor one to give advice so I'll just give my experience. I bought an FL-8 when Randy Moss was a rookie for the Vikings. Was in Minneapolis to watch them play the Packers and went to see the new Cabela's south of Minneapolis and bought the unit. Have been using it ever since and I think I'm on my third or fourth battery, no other problems. Still using it. It doesn't tell me what's below me but it does tell me when a fish is below me. Mostly a ad for the quality of the unit.

You and your FL-8 should be in a Vexilar commercial with Tony Roach!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have a boat? If so, do you want to add another graph to it? Get a garmin or bird ice package and then swap them over in the summer. If your all set on the boat electronics, pick up an FL-18 off of the classifieds and enjoy years of use.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old guy in a trenchcoat.
Is this a compliment or an insult? Please explain yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a boat? If so, do you want to add another graph to it? Get a garmin or bird ice package and then swap them over in the summer. If your all set on the boat electronics, pick up an FL-18 off of the classifieds and enjoy years of use.
I have an HDS 7 in my Skeeter that I wouldn't mind upgrading but the space available for larger electronics just doesn't seem to be there.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you just want a beater flasher for ice fishing that will last forever get an FL-18, its what I still use because it just wont die even after 20 years of use. I pull my Bird off my boat and attach it to my ATV for maps. If I was buying a new ice unit id be pretty tempted to go graph, they are just way more versatile with maps, summer use etc. They also probably wont last near as long though.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had my vex 20 for about 5-6 yrs now. Works like a charm. Bought an ice ducer for my helix 5 and mounted on a genz box. Helix has the gps so like that when i have that along. Bought the wife an el cheapo fish camera a number of years back for use in the zach shack. It is still working pretty darn good so that is what she sticks with when we are in the portable or zach shack. Camera comes in pretty darn handy if you see a shark eyeing your lighter line/ jig set up so can reel in and get it out of the sharks path so it doesn't dispense of your light line/tackle. Then..if we wanna get that shark, put down a shark set up.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The FL-18 Will split sides. One side shows entire water column, the other zooms in on bottom 7 ft (or 6). I was just like you last year. Go with the cheapest FL -18 you can find. Watch some you tube videos, its easy to operate and understand.

I got a brand new one for under $400. Cabelas matched Scheels sale price and let me use points .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74