Suggestions for Early Ice Audubon

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I have been anxiously anticipating starting my central ND ice fishing career. I have been looking up bodies of water to try early ice and I have seen lots of videos and posts swearing by Audubon in December. So what type of structure/depth should I typically be looking for at early ice? Any particular baits or colors work better than others? Is it typically a dawn/dusk type of bite or is there much of a daytime bite?

Thanks!
Phil

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My suggestion is to tread VERY carefully, especially early, lots of springs on Audubon.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Audubon...for me anyway...is very good from early ice thru early January. Fish start moving out of the bays to the main lake mid winter. Locations to target early...Nelson Bay/Velva Point/Turtle Lake Ramp area. Yes, due to Audubon being fairly shallow...the bite revolves around sun up and sun down. I have caught some nice fish mid afternoon on Audubon but not consistently. Believe Navionics and ND G&F have pretty good info on their maps displaying bay names...etc. Once we get safe walkable ice, certainly willing to meet you out there sometime or explain exactly where those areas are located. Review a good contour map...once ice is driveable, stay away from shallow humps that have much thinner ice over them. Looking at the forecasted temps for the next 30 days...might be another 2 weeks or more before we have good walkable ice. Good luck Phil...enjoy/be safe/don't go alone early ice.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't drown, wait for some below zero weather to harden it up

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Audubon...for me anyway...is very good from early ice thru early January. Fish start moving out of the bays to the main lake mid winter. Locations to target early...Nelson Bay/Velva Point/Turtle Lake Ramp area. Yes, due to Audubon being fairly shallow...the bite revolves around sun up and sun down. I have caught some nice fish mid afternoon on Audubon but not consistently. Believe Navionics and ND G&F have pretty good info on their maps displaying bay names...etc. Once we get safe walkable ice, certainly willing to meet you out there sometime or explain exactly where those areas are located. Review a good contour map...once ice is driveable, stay away from shallow humps that have much thinner ice over them. Looking at the forecasted temps for the next 30 days...might be another 2 weeks or more before we have good walkable ice. Good luck Phil...enjoy/be safe/don't go alone early ice.

Thanks ndfinfan! I will be needing a fishing partner this winter so I'll be sure to contact you if I plan on going out. Hoping to get out to Audubon at least once before Christmas.

shedwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not seen anything in print but I have heard they are going to lower Audubon by 8 feet next year for repairs to the embankment. Has anyone else heard this?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have not seen anything in print but I have heard they are going to lower Audubon by 8 feet next year for repairs to the embankment. Has anyone else heard this?

Negative...matter of fact, 2 weeks ago KX news did a story on the Corp and how they manage water levels between Sak and Audubon. The story did not mention anything about repairs to the embankment or having to drop water levels on Audubon...doesn't mean the repairs aren't scheduled...but this story did not cover it. Only mentioned the fact that each fall water levels on Audubon are dropped before ice up so the rip rap around the islands are not damaged.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been anxiously anticipating starting my central ND ice fishing career. I have been looking up bodies of water to try early ice and I have seen lots of videos and posts swearing by Audubon in December. So what type of structure/depth should I typically be looking for at early ice? Any particular baits or colors work better than others? Is it typically a dawn/dusk type of bite or is there much of a daytime bite?

Thanks!
Phil
Frogs are the ticket during early ice. Entrances to the back bays are pretty good. There are a few community honey holes that the bait shops will direct you too. Early ice can be really good on Audubon so good luck!

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not heard a time set in stone but the Corp is planning to do drop in water (did hear 8ft) to fix the erosion issues at the gates that let water back to Sak. That’s the reason they have let water back through the pumping station the last 2 years. Not sure how long the water will be down though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76