Wife hunting deer, while the rest of us are pheasant hunting

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a group of guys that are coming down from Minot this weekend, just curious if mrs johnr can carry her rifle and fill a doe tag while walking with us pheasant hunters?
We will have a couple dogs with the group, and 7 guys hunting birds.

Seems like we should be able too, but using dogs for the birds is where I foresee it being a problem.

Any expert want to give me the heads up on this, I don't want to eff up anyone's hunt.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no expert I guess, but I do own two well trained, well handled pointers. I'd personally feel very leery about hunting with someone who was carrying a rifle in case a deer busted out.

Not that I didn't trust the hunter, but because shit happens. And while my dogs are darn well behaved and typically don't chase deer, what happened if they suddenly decided to do something totally out of character and wound up getting a stray .30-cal slug in the ribcage?

I'd be broken. My wife would never forgive me. And I bet the shooter would feel downright horrible, too.

But I tend to think the worst is going to happen. I'm sure if you posted her at the end of the field and she was very capable of waiting on a doe to get well out of the way of hunters and dogs alike, she might be able to whack one safely.

I personally don't like it, but that's just me.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just have your wife wear high vis pink so then the game warden can tell.she is hunting all by herself kidding
Sorry juanr your wife will not be able to hunt with you just for the common fact she would be part of a traditional hunt party group which is illegal in north dakota.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just have your wife wear high vis pink so then the game warden can tell.she is hunting all by herself kidding
Sorry juanr your wife will not be able to hunt with you just for the common fact she would be part of a traditional hunt party group which is illegal in north dakota.

Nothing about this situation falls under "party hunting". Party hunting refers to filling the tags of other members of the hunting group, not hunting as a group in general.

The use of dogs, on the other hand would not fly.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a group of guys that are coming down from Minot this weekend, just curious if mrs johnr can carry her rifle and fill a doe tag while walking with us pheasant hunters?
We will have a couple dogs with the group, and 7 guys hunting birds.

Seems like we should be able too, but using dogs for the birds is where I foresee it being a problem.

Any expert want to give me the heads up on this, I don't want to eff up anyone's hunt.

The situation you described would be totally fine WITHOUT the dogs. But if the dogs are with, it's a no go.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Use of Animals and Tree Stands[/h]Animals - It is unlawful to use any animal except horses or mules as an aid in the hunting or taking of big game. State law allows the use of dogs in the recovery of big game – see N.D.C.C. 20.1-05-04 or contact the Department for additional information.

Attachments

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 11.31.28 AM.jpg
Last edited:

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
So. have her go with and sit in the truck and watch you guys pheasant hunt.. and if so happens some deer get busted out while pheasant hunting. have her spot and follow the deer to see where they go. then after the pheaasant walk with the dogs

- - - Updated - - -

whoops my bad.. fat fingered it

So. have her go with and sit in the truck and watch you guys pheasant hunt.. and if so happens some deer get busted out while pheasant hunting. have her spot and follow the deer to see where they go. then after the pheasant walk with the dogs.. kennel up the dogs.. go to the area where the deer went.. if not posted and legal of course .. then you guys walk the area and try to push the deer, have her post nd get a shot at the deer .. that is the way i would do it :;:rockit

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
have your buddy drive his vehicle ---- your wife in her own vehicle. Tell her she is going to gut/drag and none of your party helps - or have your kid go with her gunless. Not that its legal - but a very good trained shorthair add to that a rangey one --(they alll range ha!!!) . That is the ticket for delivering a deer to the eye of the tag holder. I have seen it done.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing about this situation falls under "party hunting". Party hunting refers to filling the tags of other members of the hunting group, not hunting as a group in general.

The use of dogs, on the other hand would not fly.

- - - Updated - - -

The situation you described would be totally fine WITHOUT the dogs. But if the dogs are with, it's a no go.

This

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree no dogs while she is carrying a rifle. Legal reasons, I'm sure she is smart enough to not shoot if the dog\dogs would happen to chase a deer. Beings you forgot to include me in on the pheasant hunting text\call :mad: I would gladly come down and take her deer hunting. You know.............. just the two of us..............together................alone. ::woooot::....................;:;rofl

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the dog part is the only part that is illegal, and they will site you for that if they see it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually, I don't think the dogs make it illegal OUTRIGHT.

Scenario: you're deer hunting a piece of PLOTS (sitting on a hill, maybe). A couple trucks pull up to the approach and guys come out with dogs and start pheasant hunting. In the process of doing this, they bump a deer past you that you kill.

Now, did you just break North Dakota law because they bumped a deer while using dogs to hunt pheasants, and you just happened to be in the same spot at the same time?

I think a CO would see this gray area and give the deer hunter the benefit of a doubt.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using dogs is clearly illegal for pursuing Big Game, but the bigger question is where does NDGF stand on llamas?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually, I don't think the dogs make it illegal OUTRIGHT.

Scenario: you're deer hunting a piece of PLOTS (sitting on a hill, maybe). A couple trucks pull up to the approach and guys come out with dogs and start pheasant hunting. In the process of doing this, they bump a deer past you that you kill.

Now, did you just break North Dakota law because they bumped a deer while using dogs to hunt pheasants, and you just happened to be in the same spot at the same time?

I think a CO would see this gray area and give the deer hunter the benefit of a doubt.

If both parties say they were hunting independently and not working together in any way, then yes I agree. Not the case we're talking about though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put saddles on the dogs and claim they are horses

I like your way of thinking

- - - Updated - - -

I agree no dogs while she is carrying a rifle. Legal reasons, I'm sure she is smart enough to not shoot if the dog\dogs would happen to chase a deer. Beings you forgot to include me in on the pheasant hunting text\call :mad: I would gladly come down and take her deer hunting. You know.............. just the two of us..............together................alone. ::woooot::....................;:;rofl

I dont like they way you think...haha

- - - Updated - - -

I think the real question is " are the dogs tails docked?"

My dog is a GSP, and his tail is docked, they way they should be

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What deer unit? I have a good friend that is out there alone trying to fill a whitetail doe tag. PM me her phone # and I'll send you his. Maybe they can help each other out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76