Upland Bird Hunting and Cable Device Users!

Rick Tischaefer

My name is Rick Tischaefer and I am the President of the North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association. I also serve as a coordinator for the North Dakota Cooperative Fur Harvester Education Program, a joint outdoor education program with our association and the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Many of you may remember this post from last year. I don't think it will hurt anyone too much if I post it again – not only as a reminder but to share the information with your friends or fellow hunters. For the most part, we are experiencing above normal temperatures and conditions in North Dakota, allowing for extended upland bird hunting opportunities (where birds may exist). Many trappers began building their trap lines through November, and with the close of the deer gun season, will begin targeting coyotes with cable devices (e.g. snares).

WPA's and WMA's do not allow the use of cable devices until after the close of the upland bird season. The ability to use cable devices on all others and private lands began on Monday, November 22, 2021. Using cable devices on private lands requires written permission from the landowner or operator, including PLOTS. Trappers will have already made contacts with the landowners or operators to secure written permission. Make the time to visit with the landowner or operator so you know what other activities may now be occurring on those lands.

The intent of this information is to raise the level of awareness and reduce the potential for an unnecessary problem. No trapper that I know of makes a set to catch someone's dog, but it can happen if circumstances permit. Knowledge of each others activities; communicating with landowners or operators; paying attention to your four legged hunting partner; and being prepared are key to having a safe, productive, and enjoyable day afield.

We have information brochures for safely releasing dogs; can provide needed training to dog owners; and are available to assist wherever needed – all anyone has to do is ask. The link to the three brochures is “www.gf.nd.gov/hunting/trapping-and-dogs”.

If you would like to know more about using cable devices in North Dakota, the link to the handbook is “www.gf.nd.gov/sites/default/files/publications/using-cable-devices-in-nd.pdf”.

Galvanized aircraft cable is commonly used in the construction of cable devices for coyotes. Some wire cutters or a leatherman tool may eventually cut this cable, but it will be very difficult and time consuming. Cable cutters are used to easily cut through this type of cable. They are inexpensive and small enough to carry in a hunting vest or jacket pocket. Two links to this product are:

www.minntrapprod.com/Cable-Cutter-and-Sheath-Save-200/productinfo/C7-COMBO
www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RC8

The lock component of the cable device may also be manipulated to make the loop larger, allowing the loop to be removed from the dog. If you have any trouble with acquiring the publications or a pair of cable cutters; need hard copies of any printed material; have related questions; or would like to set up a future training opportunity, send a PM or contact me via e-mail through our website at “www.ndfhta.com”. Please share this information with those who you think may benefit by it, and have many safe and enjoyable days experiencing all that North Dakota has to offer.

Respectfully,

Rick Tischaefer
President, North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association​

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I borrowed a GSH from a friend a few years ago that got caught in a cable snare. I could see the dog but when I called for her to cum she just sat there calm as can be. Buddy and I walked over and sure enough she had a cable wrapped around her neck or chest. She patiently allowed me to release the catch and loosen the cable to free her. Scary what might have happened with a dog of a different temperament! I think that was the last time that I ever borrowed a dog!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the post, Rick!

Any videos on releasing dogs from head and foot snares?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76