Stock.refinish?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pure linseed looks nice but provides no wood protection. Tru Oil provides some protection, the same appearance and the finish can be easily repaired. I'd still recommend a good sealant in the bbl channel etc.

FWIW: Wrists turned black from gun oil CAN be resurrected with stripping and a long soak in acetone. Be sure to note if the wood is proud and be mindful of excessive sanding.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with "Tru-oil",use a heat gun with care for minor dings in the wood,re did my baby with tru-oil then couple times throughout the summer lay on some good hardwood floor wax as we shoot 5 times/week,oil from your hands will darken the wood and wear off bluing on rec'ver unless rec'ver is nickle plated.

Tru-Oil finished product~

010.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a right smart looking trap gun!

she's a dandy,had it built and shipped from italy 20 years ago,3 barrel set for all three competitions,had a old all american shooter take me under his wing back then,showed me the ropes,one day I asked him what would he do different today knowing what he know's now...

said "son" purchase a real trap gun,one you can't afford or shoot and learn,he said I would be about $100k ahead today after all the trap guns I purchased,trap shooters get in slumps,make excuses then purchase a new shotgun in hopes of bettering they're scores,funny thing is it works but after each purchase you shoot more once gun is fitted,scores shoot up,at the time these old timer's laughed at me as I modified a browning o/u sporting clays shotgun for trap,complete with a 9oz mercury recoil reducer in the stock,she still gets range time on sporting clays fields.

All this crazy trap shooting stuff isn't for everyone,heck for a couple guyz that get together before hunting season that throw they're own targets,hit a few miss a few whocares its all fun just pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You should lobby for your own forum: "Ask The Common Shotgun Guru". That's good shit.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol thanx Mr....since my ole lady passed a few years back the shotgun world is my therapy,just the smell of burnt powder gets me fixed up,love wing shooting as well,semi retired these days puts me in the field from early sept thru mid april chasing everything that flies all over the country.Certainly not guru just sharing some knowledge I aquired over the years.

Since my days in competitive shotgunning (registerd shooting) my travels had me crossing paths with some character's,I could wright a chapter on the "trap shooter's excuses" boy I've herd some dandies seen some crazy shit at the different ranges.ever notice the back of trap houses with a shotshell pattern imprinted on the back of said house? this from green pea's getting use to a "release trigger",every trap range I've been on has this decoration's across the country.

Came across a classic old pic of a couple darn good trap shooters back in the day,Roy Roger's in 1959 won class A shooting his model 12 at the national "Grand American trap shoot",scored 199/200 damn good score even today with our fancy shotguns.rogers.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75