any musicians on here???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
my bride got me an acoustic guitar last Christmas... had mentioned that i'd like to learn to play... i've been hacking away for about 10 months now and really enjoy it... can play almost any new country music on the radio and most of the classics i want to...

just ordered another one...

anyone else???

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome!! I started playing guitar at 19 just as a hobby. it stuck with me. By no means am I the next Van Halen or slash, but I love to play and it's a great stress reliever. if you really get into it, the money you can spend adds up quickly. I started with acoustic and eventually got into electric. Bought my dream guitar 2 years ago and made me want to get even better.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, I have nightmares about having to go back and play the trombone that I played in HS even tho I was in the front row of the marching band right behind the majorettes/baton twirlers (one was my GF) in their short skirts!!!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome!! I started playing guitar at 19 just as a hobby. it stuck with me. By no means am I the next Van Halen or slash, but I love to play and it's a great stress reliever. if you really get into it, the money you can spend adds up quickly. I started with acoustic and eventually got into electric. Bought my dream guitar 2 years ago and made me want to get even better.

nice... i usually go balls deep in my adventures and spend too much money for the return... with this, it has been just the opposite... have no plans of playing for anyone else other than maybe some camp fire stuff... just a hobby...

you can spend big money on instruments, but with a decent entry level electric acoustic and a pretty nice practice amp i probably have about a grand into everything, and probably spend about $15 every couple months for new strings... for me it really has been a pretty cheap and enjoyable hobby... we'll see how long i can keep my hands off the nice stuff...

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your looking to start up a band, I can certainly sing tenor. Ten or 15 miles away I am as good as it gets. :;:cheers

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my bride got me an acoustic guitar last Christmas... had mentioned that i'd like to learn to play... i've been hacking away for about 10 months now and really enjoy it... can play almost any new country music on the radio and most of the classics i want to...

just ordered another one...

anyone else???

What guitar(s) do you have? Any recommendations.
I am thinking about doing the same.
Thanks!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Yamaha LL6 ARE... comes with a passive pickup so you can plug into any amp or pa of you want... guitar was about $500... just ordered a Yamaha APXT2 to have a smaller one to travel with or play on the couch... it was $200...

Also have a Yamaha THR 20 11 that was about $300 that is a lot of fun to change up sounds... it is a practice amp about the size of a loaf of bread...

I have about another $200 in ancillary items like cables, wireless jacks, case, stand, capos, tuner, picks, etc...

Fun stuff... if you like music, I'd highly recommend it...

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too would be interested in starting to learn to play the Acoustic guitar. Well restart to learn. Dabbled in it 6-7 yrs ago(very briefly) as a buddy was into it and he said he would teach me. Then he off and died in a vehicle accident so I really haven't touched the thing since. I am sure youtube can be a good teacher. He recommended a Takmine for starting out so I ordered that brand. $300-$400 if I recall at the time. Can't recall the site or what series guitar. I shall have to dust off the case and take a look. This thread makes me think me think it might be time to restart to learn as i think it would be a cool hobby. I just need to stick with it so a guy gets better.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to u tube and look up Marty Schwartz, or marty guitar... he has acoustic lessons that I started with and i was playing song in just a few days... no other teacher or classes for me... was really shocked how well it went doing it that way... he has a whole series on acoustic step by step and I think is a great teacher...

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Played for years but Alas, arthritis has taken its toll. Can now longer bridge or or hit the harder chords. Have a yamaha and an ovation which will go to the kids.

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenders for me. Play in a church band and also had opportunities to play with others at a bar and county fair. Good times

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice... i usually go balls deep in my adventures and spend too much money for the return... with this, it has been just the opposite... have no plans of playing for anyone else other than maybe some camp fire stuff... just a hobby...

you can spend big money on instruments, but with a decent entry level electric acoustic and a pretty nice practice amp i probably have about a grand into everything, and probably spend about $15 every couple months for new strings... for me it really has been a pretty cheap and enjoyable hobby... we'll see how long i can keep my hands off the nice stuff...

Yeah, I'm 20 years into this hobby and finally had the money to buy something really nice. My first guitar was an ovation acoustic. It was decent enough to learn on but sounded terrible(more the player than the guitar). When I was 19 I got a summer job doing manual labor and saved every penny to buy an American made fender Strat. I played the crap out of that thing. Got one of those practice amps you have. Later invested in a better quality accoustic and got an Ibanez Artwood. Certainly not a Martin or Taylor, but sounds pretty good, but I've wanted a Gibson Les Paul for forever. I'm a huge slash fan and love his sound. Plus so many of the great players played the Les Paul. So I saved for a couple years and bought a real one. None of the copy cat knock offs. I'm so glad I did. It took my playing to another level, mostly because I wanted to play more often, but that's when I really started to learn how to make different sounds with the tuning of the guitar, and not just playing notes/chord.

AB81F65A-B490-4257-8A26-CFEB73497B86.jpg

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about.

Most musically illiterate SOB you will ever meet...

Allen

- - - Updated - - -

But I do know that guitars and drums will enhance your panty collection.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76