Thansgiving Day Raccoon Roast Anyone?

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you seen what they eat? No wonder they taste like garbage!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day our local Doctor used to cook up anything and everything and bring it into a bar we all would frequent. Most things were pretty darn good BUT i can't say that about coon! ;:;barf That was some greasy crap that the more i chewed the bigger it got and the shittier the taste got also. I couldn't drink enough to swallow that piece of meat. Finally ended up spitting it out and never again did i try coon! :;:exactly

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day our local Doctor used to cook up anything and everything and bring it into a bar we all would frequent. Most things were pretty darn good BUT i can't say that about coon! ;:;barf That was some greasy crap that the more i chewed the bigger it got and the shittier the taste got also. I couldn't drink enough to swallow that piece of meat. Finally ended up spitting it out and never again did i try coon! :;:exactly

Bar owner in Botno used to do Rocky Mountain Oysters and gave them away. They were good, but I used to cross my legs when I ate 'em!!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bar owner in Botno used to do Rocky Mountain Oysters and gave them away. They were good, but I used to cross my legs when I ate 'em!!!

We used to have a few Rocky Mountain oyster fries a year in our local pub. We liked them best when we used pork shake and bake and then deep fried them. Of course we skinned them first. then froze them, then sliced them thin and then rubbing them in the pork shake & bake and deep fried. Man that was some good eatin'!

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor used to invite a few of us over every year for a wild game feed. We all donated different game and his daughter and wife would cook them up. I had trouble with coons in my feed shed one year and he asked me to live trap a couple for him which I did. We had them that fall. He smoked one and served it sliced up like cold cuts and his wife roasted one in a pan. The smoked one was great, kinda like a Schwann's smoked ham. The roasted one was so greasy no one could eat it. The sandhill crane and goose were always tough to get down but the barbequed mule deer ribs, the elk meatballs and my pheasants were terrific. The duck, partridge and grouse were usually fair to good but less desirable overall. We had bear roast once and it was OK but kind of greasy like the coon. Never did have moose that I remember.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
No coon for me, I'm making Cornish Game Hens this year.

Figured I'd try something new.

Yep, doing the same here. Just the wife, daughter and I for Thanksgiving and I will be grilling the baby birds.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Figured I'd try something new.

Been a family tradition here for 35 years .each one of the kids, grandchildren, grandparents , aunts and uncles get their own mini turkey and wishbone . This year there will be 43 of them .
FB_IMG_1606265282567.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

the game hens where tradition for us for many years. Our turn to host a few years ago and did them for in-laws side and they loved them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, I would not have guessed how behind the times I am. CGH's were a mere whim, and then I found out how tough they were to find in the Bismarck area. After 3 grocery stores and 3 butcher shops, I finally found them in Mandan at Butcher Block meats. Today was a shitty day to be grocery shopping.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, I would not have guessed how behind the times I am. CGH's were a mere whim, and then I found out how tough they were to find in the Bismarck area. After 3 grocery stores and 3 butcher shops, I finally found them in Mandan at Butcher Block meats. Today was a shitty day to be grocery shopping.

Friend of mine owns Butcher Block. Great place to shop. Wish it weren't WAAAYYY over in Mandan. Kinda out of the way, for me. Great sandwiches for lunch too.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butcher Block is an excellent place to find something new or at least different. I picked up some cheese buttons from there yesterday and plan on having some for lunch today.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend of mine owns Butcher Block. Great place to shop. Wish it weren't WAAAYYY over in Mandan. Kinda out of the way, for me. Great sandwiches for lunch too.

Dan is the man, and has some really nice mustangs too, great place always we be.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76