Strikemaster Lithium VS ION

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
thinking about one of these new augers myself,still running my SM lazer from mid 90's,but concerned about Sm blades and nodak top soil dulling said blades,seems every trip tp DL I go through 2 sometimes 4 blades, any issues with these auger blades nowadays?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
remm - let me know how you like the Lite flight. I got the Strikemaster Lithium 40V 2 years ago...love it but with the regular flight she is still 23 pounds. Thanks man...

I had a k drill with milwaukee/ clam plate set up. Bought the lite flight last fall. Used it all winter. No comparison in performance. K drill went down the road. I would think it would be a good fit for you.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
run a drill until the ice gets thick - - then the same ice auger i have been running since the 1989 comes out of the truck to show up the electric bullshit.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read alot of posts on ice shanty about this auger set up everyone who has one says its well made with excellent customer service. Still has shaving blades which is a bummer for us northern lake folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Does kdrill make adapters so that their bits can be added to another head unit, I know riverview uses his on his icegator

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood people that say "K-drill is the way to go butttttttt when the ice gets really thick I switch to so and so auger". Why wouldn't you just get an Ion or Strikemaster 40v and be done with it so you don't have to worry about 2 augers?

I got an IonX when they first came out and I can say that I have zero complaints.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have read alot of posts on ice shanty about this auger set up everyone who has one says its well made with excellent customer service. Still has shaving blades which is a bummer for us northern lake folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Does kdrill make adapters so that their bits can be added to another head unit, I know riverview uses his on his icegator
You can use the kdrill on strike master heads. No adapter needed, I think it can bolt right up

catchindeers

You can use the kdrill on strike master heads. No adapter needed, I think it can bolt right up

Yes this is correct, I leave my extension connected to my strikemaster gas head and one bolt to make the switch from drill to gas. No need for multiple augers. I already had a strikemaster head and now have a drill that I can use year round. I just like how light it is and how I can reopen any hole on the ice, regardless of size due to the chipper blades. But all the augers discussed will cut ice great, comes down to personal preference and what you want to spend.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes this is correct, I leave my extension connected to my strikemaster gas head and one bolt to make the switch from drill to gas. No need for multiple augers. I already had a strikemaster head and now have a drill that I can use year round. I just like how light it is and how I can reopen any hole on the ice, regardless of size due to the chipper blades. But all the augers discussed will cut ice great, comes down to personal preference and what you want to spend.
Picked up a 8” Lazer hand auger and a 8” Mora hand auger last spring dirt cheap so we will see how they do against the k drill. Where I fish it is very sandy so may have to wait til I get to a lake with clean ice.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood people that say "K-drill is the way to go butttttttt when the ice gets really thick I switch to so and so auger". Why wouldn't you just get an Ion or Strikemaster 40v and be done with it so you don't have to worry about 2 augers?

I got an IonX when they first came out and I can say that I have zero complaints.

Because some of us already have other augers at our disposal.

I ran SM for a while, they are pretty much second to none when they cut. Then you hit a pebble from some vehicle from the weekend before and they spin in place. Then you drop $45 for a new set. Few can sharpen them. I think it all comes down to where you fish.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s no lie that a person needs to bring a decent number of batteries to get through an entire day with thick ice. It’s harder yet when your buddy doesn’t bring an auger. It comes down more to battery power VS the k-drill not working in thick ice.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member

My reason is early ice I am often walking up to 1.5 miles one way. I would much rather be dragging my K drill than my 40V SM or a gas auger.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Because some of us already have other augers at our disposal.

I ran SM for a while, they are pretty much second to none when they cut. Then you hit a pebble from some vehicle from the weekend before and they spin in place. Then you drop $45 for a new set. Few can sharpen them. I think it all comes down to where you fish.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s no lie that a person needs to bring a decent number of batteries to get through an entire day with thick ice. It’s harder yet when your buddy doesn’t bring an auger. It comes down more to battery power VS the k-drill not working in thick ice.

I second what KW says here about dueling augers. I run a K-drill up to about 18" with a Dewalt brushless (second drill). The first one I burned up was a cheap one for $99 and not meant for the auger. It's super light and when the ice is under 12" I don't have a set of tracks other than my feet so weight matters. Once the ice is over that 18" mark I go back to my JiffyPro4 w/ extension. I have a friend who bought a new Milwaukee last year and it was shit. Would overheat and shutdown halfway through the second hole. They said it was a safety switch and sent him a new drill, said it should be better, and it wasn't so he returned the second drill too. He now owns a SM40v.

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys keep your battery on the charger all ice season when not in use or do you take it off once it has been recharged?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion auger here, I take it off once charged. I usually put it on the charger when i get home at night then leave it on charger till morning.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76