Venison Jerky

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owens is the best imo. Just made prime rib, mango habernero, and maple jalepeno. All I will make again. It’s a wet rub and I let marinate for at least 48 hours before smoker .

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that I have noticed on most of our jerky attempts so far is that it always ends up sticky on the outside, even though it is fully dry and cracks, but doesn't break. Anyone have any tips to keep it from getting sticky?

No, that's the good stuff!!!!

Ok, but if you want to reduce the "stick", you will have to reduce the sweet and flavor (teriyaki, soy, etc)

RRmaniac

Established Member
it’s gotta be the sugar that makes it sticky

the recipe above is not sticky

do you dab the meat dry prior to smoking/drying?
We usually put the meat on the smoker racks then just dab dry the top side with paper towels. Now that you all mention it, the recipes that have turned out sticky either had honey or brown sugar in them, so that's probably what the sticky is from.

RRmaniac

Established Member
Update: Made the Dr. Pepper Jalapeno jerky today. Was definitely the best one we have made by far. Had the right blend of sweet and spicy. We maybe would even add a third jalapeno like jr2280 mentioned doing. I was surprised that despite being marinated in Dr. Pepper, it wasn't at all sticky. Thanks for recommending the recipe. I will have to try Guywhofishes's apple wine recipe when I find some apple wine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It just needs to be $4-7 Gallo or similar cheap apple wine. Most liquor stores carry a few.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with guywhoknowsalotaboutjerky. Didn't care for the Dr. Pepper recipe either. I usually find myself going back to the classics.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like the classics became classics for good reason.

Sure, I like to push boundaries and experiment as you all know - but it’s always nice to get grounded again with the classic styles. Having a few oddball styles on hand to keep things from getting stale is fun for sure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Variety is - according to the old saying.

And I agree wholeheartedly.

That said - I’m also often a creature of habit. I can eat the same breakfast 10 times in a row. But it’s got to be exactly how I like it and involves a unique combination of basic ingredients.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nesco jerky mix original is what I like. Ground meat formed flat or round. Sometimes I will dry it out a lot and then break it up and run it through a coffee bean grinder. Comes out like snuff and I keep it in a little round container in my pocket and just take a pinch or two once in awhile, just no spiting. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nesco jerky mix original is what I like. Ground meat formed flat or round. Sometimes I will dry it out a lot and then break it up and run it through a coffee bean grinder. Comes out like snuff and I keep it in a little round container in my pocket and just take a pinch or two once in awhile, just no spiting. LB

Ground beef Nesco jerky was my gramma’s go-to. I need to make some.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of the Nesco seasoning before. I looked at the Nesco web site. Lots of different flavors to choose from. Maybe around half of them sold out. Have you tried any flavors besides the Original flavor? And if so what ones have you tried and did you like them?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your Bradley still works good for you three elements later still a no go for me

yikes 3 eliments? 6 rack or 4 rack smoker? on my 7th year with my 4 rack,no issues but I only use it a few times/year,mostly for fish and jerky,never crank up the heat,never over 180 degrees.

tried my pit boss pellet grill but it lacks the smokey flavor I enjoy,in mop these pellet grills are over rated.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had high hopes for your pine-smoked windex jerky recipe but you’re right. Somebody probably already thought of it and learned it wasn’t meant to be. That’s why it’s not a classic.

Seems like the classics became classics for good reason.

Sure, I like to push boundaries and experiment as you all know - but it’s always nice to get grounded again with the classic styles. Having a few oddball styles on hand to keep things from getting stale is fun for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that you guys aren't using backstrap. E60184E0-2CEF-4294-B234-B667D5975980.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=347]MossyMO[/MENTION] fleeced me for a couple packs of honey bbq and mango habanero. Our usual massive deer sausage operation didn't need any more deer so I just sent it through the grinder for jerky.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62