Venison Jerky

RRmaniac

Established Member
Have been trying out making venison sliced meat jerky for a few years now, and haven't really found a great recipe yet. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share? I have seen and tried many with the standard soy sauce and worcestershire marinade, but would kind of like to have a more simple dry rub type recipe. I have both a dehydrator and electric smoker and could use either or both but kind of prefer a smoky flavor.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
RR,
I have used High Mountain mesquite flavor for my whole muscle jerky. It's a dry rub and easy to use. My family loves it.

Fish On!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You really can't go wrong with any of the High Mountain kits. Seriously. I've dabbled in all sorts of jerky experiments, and I keep coming back to them. Damn-near bullet proof and results are consistently good.

The key is a nice, long curing process. They'll say 48 hours, but I let things sit a solid 4-5 days before actually making the jerky.

I also prefer my jerky on the thicker side (strong 1/4 inch) and also take them off a bit earlier than most. The result isn't a true dried last-for-months-on-the-shelf product, however I like that it's moist and tender, without getting too dried or crumbly.

And for flavor, I'd use your smoker, hands down. Keep it close to 160 and try for 2 hours. By then, it's done to my liking, but you can go longer if you like a dryer jerky.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s funny how individual taste is so different.

I wasted 5lb on that Dr. Pepper recipe. I was really disappointed.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, I always save the "experiments" that i try and don't like for the relatives when they come over. :D

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have been trying out making venison sliced meat jerky for a few years now, and haven't really found a great recipe yet. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share? I have seen and tried many with the standard soy sauce and worcestershire marinade, but would kind of like to have a more simple dry rub type recipe. I have both a dehydrator and electric smoker and could use either or both but kind of prefer a smoky flavor.
What hasn’t worked out so far?

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used quite a bit of Owens seasonings the last few years and can't say that I've ever had anything I absolutely didn't like.

For jerky I really like their Chipolte lime. I've made the Maple Jalapeno flavor a couple times and while it's really good, I made a batch of Cabela's blend last year that I thought was a little more maple and a little less jalapeno that I liked better. My wife really likes the Honey BBQ flavor for owens for stack sticks so this year I bought seasoning for jerky and sticks and added some extra crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper to give it a little extra kick. It's awesome and it will be a must have on my list going forward.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started making my own, did 3 pounds with the Dr. Pepper jalapeno recipe posted above, but only one jalapeno as my kid does not like spicy things. I finished it and went to sit in my blind that evening. Came home and my 11 year old ate the entire batch while I was gone. It passed our taste test. It also must taste better when he killed the deer. I understand this is not a dry rub recipe you are looking for, but maybe worth a try. I made a batch earlier with 3 jalapenos and I thought that was really good. Key seems to be in the reduction of the marinade. I smoked it on the pellet grill with comp blend pellets.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You really can't go wrong with any of the High Mountain kits. Seriously. I've dabbled in all sorts of jerky experiments, and I keep coming back to them. Damn-near bullet proof and results are consistently good.

The key is a nice, long curing process. They'll say 48 hours, but I let things sit a solid 4-5 days before actually making the jerky.

I also prefer my jerky on the thicker side (strong 1/4 inch) and also take them off a bit earlier than most. The result isn't a true dried last-for-months-on-the-shelf product, however I like that it's moist and tender, without getting too dried or crumbly.

And for flavor, I'd use your smoker, hands down. Keep it close to 160 and try for 2 hours. By then, it's done to my liking, but you can go longer if you like a dryer jerky.

I quit reading posts when I read this one. I've been using HM seasoning since the 90s. There have been times when I either couldn't find it, or experimented. Big mistake, I won't waste any more deer meat on anything but HM mesquite, or original. The only thing I do different, is do it in the oven, as I don't have a smoker. I've had a lot of different people compliment my Jerry, as I take it to school and use it for rewards. I've have some pretty tough kids behave for Jerky. I did make some on my weber charcoal grill this summer. Most of it came out good.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed with ^^^^ high mountain cure on my bradley is the best,comes out perfect everytime,for dryer jerky remove the water tray if you have a bradley smoker.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have been using the High Mountain jerky kits to make roughly 1/4 inch thick whole muscle jerky. I use both the sweet and spicey version and their terriyaki flavored packs.

The only thing I add to it is a generous helping of cayenne pepper, that brings the heat that I seek. Unless someone absolutely doesn't like spicey, they tend to really like the jerky I make.

I tend to also use my smoker to dry it out, but like others have mentioned I try to not get carried away with how dry I get it. You go too dry in a smoker and it will taste like an ashtray.

RRmaniac

Established Member
Thanks for the recommendations. I kind of would prefer to stay away from pre-made spices as I like to make my own. I might have to try out the Dr. Pepper recipe. Guywhofishes, what was wrong with the Dr. Pepper recipe for you?

- - - Updated - - -

What hasn’t worked out so far?
We had tried a recipe with apple cider vinegar, and that just completely ruined the flavor of the meat. Also tried using montreal steak seasoning, but that ended up too salty. Finally we tried a soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flake, misc. recipe that was alright, but didn't really care much for the soy sauce flavor.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dr Pepper recipe was relatively tasteless for me. And yes, I cooked it down as per recipe.

- - - Updated - - -

this one never lets me down

- - - Updated - - -

the smoke and/or dry time is highly variable of course

- - - Updated - - -

I add teriyaki too

and sriracha

Attachments

EB9872CB-D782-4CF5-B198-887558DDF688.jpg

RRmaniac

Established Member
One thing that I have noticed on most of our jerky attempts so far is that it always ends up sticky on the outside, even though it is fully dry and cracks, but doesn't break. Anyone have any tips to keep it from getting sticky?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it’s gotta be the sugar that makes it sticky

the recipe above is not sticky

do you dab the meat dry prior to smoking/drying?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't give up on the premixes until you have tried either Owens or Waltons Bloody Mary. Awesome !

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55