Browning A500

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the other day my browning A500 was doing all kinds of weird shit. Wouldn’t seat the bolt all the way. Then trigger wouldn’t pull after safety was taken off. Just being all kinds of crazy. I had just tore it down and cleaned it two outings before. So I tore it down again. Pulled the barrel and the bolt and man it was dirty as hell already. Full of powder. Damn prairie storms lol. So I dropped the trigger assembly and what in the hell did I find? All kinds of pieces of plastic laying in the trigger assay. I have no idea where if came from. I thought it was chunks or bees wax until I picked one up and it was hard. It’s def some kind of plastic. Cleaned it all out and. Guns was fine today. But I’ve been having a hell of a time keeping the stock tight. I lock tighted the bolt when I put it together last night. Thing loosened up by mid day again. Stock doesn’t even seem to fit up snug to the steel anymore. I wonder if this plastic came out of the front of the stock and fell down into the trigger assy.

F6D95BB8-F55B-4957-AFBD-36B6553C6958.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's really odd, on so many levels.

For starters, if that is plastic, due to the coloration it almost looks like it melted and/or got soft, then worked it's way to wherever it wound up before solidfying again. In order to do that, though, it would have had to been hot/warm the entire length of travel, otherwise I'd assume you would be finding bits of plastic along the travel corridor.

It does seem like your gun not fitting together properly after this event may have something to do with it, however I think they may be unrelated. I'd take your gun apart again and carefully investigate all the seating points. If it still doesn't go back right, get it to a gunsmith. If there's one thing I've learned in my short time on earth, it's when to know to hand projects off to people who are much smarter than myself!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I have to take the stock off again today and see what’s going on. I was looking at parts schematic and doesn’t appear to be any holes in the end of the receiver to allow this plastic to come from stock info the receiver either. And the schematics don’t show anything that would resemble this plastic. Anywhere. It’s the craziest thing I’ve seen. That biggest piece is about 1/2”x3/8” big so it’s rather substantial to be in that area of the gun.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the plastic pieces are part of the buffer on the top of receiver. Look and see if the buffer is breaking away.

Inside and in back of the receiver.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the other day my browning A500 was doing all kinds of weird shit. Wouldn’t seat the bolt all the way. Then trigger wouldn’t pull after safety was taken off. Just being all kinds of crazy. I had just tore it down and cleaned it two outings before. So I tore it down again. Pulled the barrel and the bolt and man it was dirty as hell already. Full of powder. Damn prairie storms lol. So I dropped the trigger assembly and what in the hell did I find? All kinds of pieces of plastic laying in the trigger assay. I have no idea where if came from. I thought it was chunks or bees wax until I picked one up and it was hard. It’s def some kind of plastic. Cleaned it all out and. Guns was fine today. But I’ve been having a hell of a time keeping the stock tight. I lock tighted the bolt when I put it together last night. Thing loosened up by mid day again. Stock doesn’t even seem to fit up snug to the steel anymore. I wonder if this plastic came out of the front of the stock and fell down into the trigger assy.

B432DD6C-7D2B-4C72-A6C7-033E3A3CC075.jpeg

looks like dry glue,epoxy resin,I've been told that this A500 has issues.far cry from our old A-5 from belgium.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would they have glued?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the plastic pieces are part of the buffer on the top of receiver. Look and see if the buffer is breaking away.

Inside and in back of the receiver.
Are you talking like up underneath the top? Pull trigger assy and it would be up there underneath the top of the receiver?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunno? but if this crap was in your trigger assembly,take a closer look on the inside of the forend,curious,don't you have A300 that's having issues? last month.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The A300 thing was bizarre. I think it boiled down to me not giving it enough shoulder to lean on. Taking awkward shots that didn’t give resistance to it. When I test fire at home it’s fine. Let the grandson shoot it starting opener of pheasants and he has had no issues with it lol.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The A300 thing was bizarre. I think it boiled down to me not giving it enough shoulder to lean on. Taking awkward shots that didn’t give resistance to it. When I test fire at home it’s fine. Let the grandson shoot it starting opener of pheasants and he has had no issues with it lol.

LOL thought it was you,maybe dump these two problems or trade em in on one good semi auto,high end shotgun just a thought,nothin pisses me off more than a shotgun malfunction in the field,firm believer you get what you pay for.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What would they have glued?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you talking like up underneath the top? Pull trigger assy and it would be up there underneath the top of the receiver?

Yes it a buffer to keep the bolt from hitting the back of the receiver.

- - - Updated - - -

It could be your stock was Acraglased in place from a previse owner and the Acraglas is breaking away and causing voids in the stock and receiver is why the stock is loosing up. And falling into trigger assy.

Unless you purchased the shotgun new.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes it a buffer to keep the bolt from hitting the back of the receiver.

- - - Updated - - -

It could be your stock was Acraglased in place from a previse owner and the Acraglas is breaking away and causing voids in the stock and receiver is why the stock is loosing up. And falling into trigger assy.

Unless you purchased the shotgun new.
I did buy it used.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow it talks about the stock bedding even. I’m going to look into that. Details how to perform the bedding if it’s missing. Weird though if that is it how this big pieces would get into trigger assy

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would take the stock off and see if it actually is glassed into place. If it is I would buy me some Acraglas ( Im a fan of Acraglas ) and just do what the directions say. Its not hard to do. I would sand or take a dermal tool to remove some or all of the old glas.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pulled it off. Doesn’t appear there is even room for any bedding. It appears to me like the the actual center liner of the steel is sliding backwards. Really hard to see by these pics but it seems like it’s distorting the outside of the steel right where it meets the stock. And there is a lip of steel starting to extrude back into the area the stock sits.

E37D3E19-E5E8-4FED-9F16-B6DC7B66F741.jpg0C96E644-B0A4-4F41-8C3F-7460846CE5C2.jpgE4CCCBCB-DE4C-45B9-A819-376CD8652B77.jpg944A1191-F0F9-4573-8CAB-00BD6BC94DCF.jpg3E2D7B25-A7E6-4EB1-932C-15D7564E9A45.jpg

Attachments

2FFD53DF-E4F3-4860-97F9-0F0BE823C89F.jpg

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It looks like the retainer plate is being pulled back. Can you tell if its staked in place or Silver soldered?

If it was mine I would sand or file the lip down to match the rest of the receiver and reseat the stock in it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see that it’s either staked or soldered in. I decided to grind of all flat best I could. Then I used some steel putty to bed it in. Have stock mounted back up and have a nice snug fit now. I did figure out that the plastic was a buffer that is up in receiver just behind where the bolt would come to a stop. Wonder what would cause they to break all up. Of course it’s no longer available lol.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
By an immense margin the best semi-auto shotgun Browning ever put their name on was the B-80, that Beretta made for them.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would get a new buffer before I shot it. That could be the reason the stock is loosening up. Is the buffer is not there to do its job so the retainer plate is taking some of the recoil.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
First couple places I’ve looked didn’t have any. I’ll keep looking though

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63