Compound bows for beginners

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wanted to get into hunting with a compound bow, I am asking for NDA members knowledge as to what I can get for 1500 to 2000$. What is everything I need to become an avid bow hunter? What should someone get who is just starting out buy a new bow and build off of that or find a bow that has these specific add ons already installed? What kind of arrows do I need to get for practice and hunting? Anything else I cant think of please let me know because like I've said I have no clue as to what it is going to take. Also reading material would be helpful Thanks for anyone who wants to share their knowledge and expertise. If you would rather not share publicly you can always pm me instead
This may help others as well who are Google searching such a topic

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 1 on 1 visit to scheels for an opportunity to shoot many different types of bows is going to be your huckleberry and that's just the tip. They'll get you started in the right direction for sure. There's a lot of personal decisions to be made in this game.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
With that large of a budget, I'd just go to Scheels or Runnings and have them outfit me with a recent trade-in.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was 2 years ago I walked into Scheels needing a serious update to my bowhunting equipment and after visiting with their staff and shooting a few different models of bows I walked out with everything brand new including arrows and case and everything else I needed on the bottom end of your budget.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunker,

Archerytalk is a on-line forum with a ton of information on all types of archery topics, classified aids for used equipment, etc.... good luck. PM with other questions

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Go to scheels for equipment and shoot a bunch of them. I strongly recommend going through John Dudley's school of knock on youtube to establish proper form, release etc. I didn't do that and the first year or two of shooting was a constant cycle of inconsistency and frustration.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't buy a 70 lb bow, when your half froze to death you can't begin to pull it back

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have always wanted to get into hunting with a compound bow, I am asking for NDA members knowledge as to what I can get for 1500 to 2000$. What is everything I need to become an avid bow hunter? What should someone get who is just starting out buy a new bow and build off of that or find a bow that has these specific add ons already installed? What kind of arrows do I need to get for practice and hunting? Anything else I cant think of please let me know because like I've said I have no clue as to what it is going to take. Also reading material would be helpful Thanks for anyone who wants to share their knowledge and expertise. If you would rather not share publicly you can always pm me instead
This may help others as well who are Google searching such a topic
Get a used one that is less than 5 years old. You can get a formally high end bow for cheap!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy cheap, do a bunch of shooting, figure out what you are looking for, then trade it in on the one you want. Might find out you dont like it, or the expensive one you bought is not for you, etc.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Welcome you will not regret. Started in 98 and will teach yourself. You have a way bigger budget than what I had. For me Mathew was tops at the time but others are fine now due to injury shoot crossbow. And as stated one does not need 70#. Quiet and smooth. Db

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diamond Tech Edge SB-1, Good starting out Bow, thats what I have right now, You won't grow out of it put it that way, goes from 7 - 70 lbs draw. Has a 15" to 30" draw length, this bow has versatilely and adjustability, look into one, I don't see me buying another bow for while.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Proper draw length and like said above, you probably dont need a 70# bow to take most of the species around here. Another option is to see if there is an archery club near you and generally the members there can get you going in the right direction.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did start a membership up on archerytalk, started a topic as the same here and the overall concensus is to start of with a mid level bow around that 3 to 500 mark. Also to find a good sporting goods store that can help me out with length and draw so I will keep you updated as to what I am looking at as far as bows when I do some more research this winter. Thanks to everyone input I do appreciate it very much

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
lunker:
Price can be all over the scale but once in, i believe you will stay in and with your budget i would get one of the bare bows in the $1,100 range. As stated go where you can shoot some. there is a huge difference from one to the next but those in the high price range are all good. Get light notch for arrows and the accessories are all over the place. i would guess with all the advice one can wonder what to do.

First question that came to mind is the hunting. i assume you got that cover. For me the cost and time only just began with the purchase. As did the enjoyment of all that comes with hunting with a bow. The planting of habitat, stands ect, far out weight any monies i had into the bow db

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also recomend a trip to an archery shop,to get measured for drawlength,draw some bows,to get a feel for what you like,and if you do purchase you will have knowlegable staff to set you up.Once you have decided on a bow,I would put more $ into the rest and the release vs sight,stabilizesr quivers.For a beginner dont get caught up in super expensive arrows,as I know very few shooter,if any that can tell a difference of.004 straightness,and whatever you do buy probly wont be around in 2 years.
If you do know what your looking for,and have someone that can setup,Archery talk classifieds has alot of dealers selling NIB holdovers at very discounted prices,this is the way I buy my bows nowadays,technology doesnt advance that fast!!
As far as internet tutors,most will say John Dudley's Nockon archery,he is good but he's also a salesman for his neon green acessories!!I think the young guy from Inside out Presicion,on youtube does a better job.
Lastly if possible join a club,lots of knowledgable people willing to help the new guy,with leagues,3d shoots,bowhunting/archery can be much more than just hunting deer in the fall.
Good Luck!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I started 30 years ago I went into scheels and they set me up right. Of course cost is relative but I'd start out with mid range equipment and see if you like it enough to put the time in, no sense jumping in with both feet until you test the water. You can always upgrade in fact most do every few years anyway. Always new and improved equipment coming out. Shoot a lot, from different angles, heights, distances, awkward positions, wearing the same clothes you'll be hinting in, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, that 70# bow doesn't do any good when you can't draw it in late December wearing heavier clothing. Don't need that much poundage to kill a deer at reasonable ranges anyway. Use the same type of arrows for practice that you plan on hunting.

bozolinda

I'm new here and I saw this post. Recently, I also goes through the challenge of bow selection as beginner. Faced a lot of difficulties until I found this article on 10Bows which helps me in all aspects for selection and all other things. This article covers all information about compound bows (reviews, problems/solutions, accessories etc.) in a user friendly manner. I would suggest you and also to everyone else who is looking for a compound bow to visit there to get good help in purchase decision.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56