Auto-Handguns Top 3?

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of purchasing a 9mm 1911 style handgun and don't want to spend anymore than $600. I started looking around a few months back and there are a lot of options available. Seems that each manufacture claims they are the best. Kind of overwhelming. In your opinion what is the best 3? I should mention I want the gun to either come with or have the capability to add a laser sight. It is primarily going to be for home defense and not conceal carry. I know how it feels in your hand is a big deal that is why I figured if a top 3 could be established on here I could buy the 1 that feels the best for me. Thanks gun gurus.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am thinking of purchasing a 9mm 1911 style handgun and don't want to spend anymore than $600. I started looking around a few months back and there are a lot of options available. Seems that each manufacture claims they are the best. Kind of overwhelming. In your opinion what is the best 3? I should mention I want the gun to either come with or have the capability to add a laser sight. It is primarily going to be for home defense and not conceal carry. I know how it feels in your hand is a big deal that is why I figured if a top 3 could be established on here I could buy the 1 that feels the best for me. Thanks gun gurus.
Saw a nice Kimber 1911 in .45 a couple months back. Kicking myself I didn’t buy one.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look into the Beretta 92 series. They have a lot of different models that have rails to mount laser/lights on. I have a Beretta 92fs and its deadly accurate. I hated them (no reason why) until I held on in my hands in Scheels. They fit my hands perfectly. They aren't quite a 1911 frame but somewhat similar.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Rock Island Armory in a 9mm/22 TCM combo and love it. I mostly shoot it in 9mm because I am not set up to reload for the TCM round. Kicking myself for dragging my feet for that. The TCM is a BLAST to shoot for the low recoil and the flash it throws. I have 250 rounds but I holding onto them like gold. Only gonna bust them out on special occasions until it settles down (if ever).

Long story short, Rock Island Armory is pretty decent in a 1911 for the price.

Also, don't be afraid to go the P80 route. I built one awhile ago and got put the RMR slide on it and added a Holosun optic on it. It runs flawless and is more accurate than I am. P80's are insanely easy to complete. My son just purchased one for about $570 and I am kicking myself for not buying another as they are now sold out.

ELITE-2.0 | 80P Builder
https://80pbuilder.com/elite-20-17-custom-kit-1

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig 226. It’s not 1911 but probably the best 9mm out of the box.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Sig 9mm in 1911. Nearly as smooth operating as my brother in laws Wilson.
$600.00? Likely impossible.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
For $600? Just go get a Glock 19,17 or an M&P. Excellent guns! I believe you would even save some money.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Love my Glock 19 it fit my paw just right and for fun I have a Walther in 22 cal that is just about the same size for practice. LB

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Springfield Armory SD 9mm 40, and 45 and the newer hellcat 9mm. I have to say that the new Hellcat is a great gun to shoot smooth trigger and blast to shoot right out of the box. I have probably put close to 1000 rounds through it with no issues yet. cleaned it finally the other day for the first time since purchase no issues found after cleaning. Its a more compact gun but the magazine holds 13 rounds for less time reloading.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the crap going on I have two semiauto Im considering zelling. I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 Competition in 9mm. It has 19 round magszines, and I put a$150 trigger in it with the shortest reset I could find for rapid fire. The gun is $780 so with the trigger andmounting plate for optics its right around $1000. I know some places are gouging people now. but I would let that gun go for $600. I have a Kimber 1911 and the enhanced XDM walks all over it. I woukd sell the Kimber also, but that will be hard since I hsve $400 in holsters, $100 in an assortment of Wolf variable rate springs, and a couole hundred into things like titanium firing pins for enhanced lock time, and so if dropped the inertia of a heavy firing pin will not fire the gun. All the setup to convert to 45 supper which puts out a 200 gr at 1300 fps. I considered a 10mm but this is as good or better. Im perhaps into that one to deep to find a buyer. I dumped my AR Grenel months ago.
If anyone did buy something from me bring cash, wear your covid mask, and I dont want to know your name. Thats not against the law ---- yet.

Last edited:

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the crap going on I have two semiauto Im considering zelling. I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 Competition in 9mm. It has 19 round magszines, and I put a$150 trigger in it with the shortest reset I could find for rapid fire. The gun is $780 so with the trigger andmounting plate for optics its right around $1000. I know some places are gouging people now. but I would let that gun go for $600. I have a Kimber 1911 and the enhanced XDM walks all over it. I woukd sell the Kimber also, but that will be hard since I hsve $400 in holsters, $100 in an assortment of Wolf variable rate springs, and a couole hundred into things like titanium firing pins for enhanced lock time, and so if dropped the inertia of a heavy firing pin will not fire the gun. All the setup to convert to 45 supper which puts out a 200 gr at 1300 fps. I considered a 10mm but this is as good or better. Im perhaps into that one to deep to find a buyer. I dumped my AR Grenel months ago.
If anyone did buy something from me bring cash, wear your covid mask, and I dont want to know your name. Thats not against the law ---- yet.

''With all the crap going on" and you're selling? Do explain.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
''With all the crap going on" and you're selling? Do explain.
Why do you want to know? You ask to many questions.

Oh well you can't take them yet, and you can't prosecute tomorrow for what is legal today. I'm not paying the gov $200 annually to keep a gun the second amendment says I can have. Plus $200 per magazine over 10 rounds. They call it a buy back program, but when did they ever own it. The buy back programs of the past people were paid $50. I would rather throw it in a lake. So if I can sell it to someone without the gov harassing them great. I have bolt action and single shot rifles and a couple of revolvers. Mostly muzzle loaders, but I can hunt with them too. I hope some young fellow can afford my handguns and finds a way to pass them on for a hundred years.

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, it’s a good thing all my guns were stolen so I don’t have to worry about the govt taking them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, some of my guns were stolen. Others have become mis-placed, and just the other day I was cleaning some, in a canoe, and I got wet and lost them all. Mags too.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, some of my guns were stolen. Others have become mis-placed, and just the other day I was cleaning some, in a canoe, and I got wet and lost them all. Mags too.

EBBAE464-D418-493B-9854-BD5BFDCA7BC3.jpeg41948655-5951-4E94-89C3-4F2F351C6B77.jpeg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone ends up paying that tax, that’s their own damn fault.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55