300 Win Mag Vs 300 PRC

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking into adding a 30 cal magnum to the rifle case. I've narrowed my choice down to one of the two if I decide to pull the trigger. I was really set on a 300 win, but I've read a ton and the 300 PRC seems to keep popping up and many people I have spoke with(mostly sales guys) are sayin the PRC is the way to go. Seems like bullet selection for the 300 in considerably better, and I'm not a reloader so that is a factor(yes I know all ammo is scarce at the moment). I would be curious to hear from anyone on here that has actual first hand knowledge shooting either rifle. My plan would be to use the rifle for deer/elk.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
300 win mag you can usually find that ammo anywhere. If you get into reloading 300 prc is the way to go

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its every year that someone publishes RCBS's top the for reloading die sales. For about 20 years now the 300 win mag has been in the top five. Hard to compare a new cartridge until its had a chance to catch on with the public.
I was just looking at the Hodgson reloading page. To do my best at comparing applea to apples I compared 200 gr bullets. Retumbo was fastest with both cartridges the PRC attaining 2916fps while the 300 Win reached 2962 fps. I have a 28 inch barrel on my 300 Win mag and with Retumbo it pushed the 210 Berger VLC to 3060fps.
Nearly any sport shop is going to have 300 Win ammo.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
300 win mag you can usually find that ammo anywhere. If you get into reloading 300 prc is the way to go

With the current ammo situation, 300 PRC is one of the last calibers I can still find on the shelf because it’s so new and so few people are shooting it. If you’re reloading, I hope you’re OK waiting 2 years to finally get components.

Just shoot 6.5 Baby Jesus. Problem solved.*

*You're not going to find 6.5 ammo anywhere either.

- - - Updated - - -

This was Fleet Farm in Fargay 2 weeks ago. They still had 300 PRC on the shelf. I haven’t been back since.

783D509C-2A12-45D5-891C-569C931AB0B5.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has the ammo - i would buy the PRC -- that way when the boys start talking creedmore you have the big boy to brag up!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has the ammo - i would buy the PRC -- that way when the boys start talking creedmore you have the big boy to brag up!!

If you reload for the Creedmoor and you shoot factory in the PRC then the 6.5 Creedmoor will leave it in the dust.:) The chronogralh pic below is 140 ELD-M. The Bergur 140 VLD is the same. Accuracy in my 26 inch heavy barrel is under .25 inch.
Accuracy in my 24 inch sporter is .5 inch and velocity is 2977fps. The 24 inch has to drop to 2850 fps to get .25 inch groups, and it has to be in the Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. In either of the Boyds laminated it opens to .75 inch. 20191206_104750.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you reload for the Creedmoor and you shoot factory in the PRC then the 6.5 Creedmoor will leave it in the dust.:) The chronogralh pic below is 140 ELD-M. The Bergur 140 VLD is the same. Accuracy in my 26 inch heavy barrel is under .25 inch.
Accuracy in my 24 inch sporter is .5 inch and velocity is 2977fps. The 24 inch has to drop to 2850 fps to get .25 inch groups, and it has to be in the Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. In either of the Boyds laminated it opens to .75 inch. calf in car.jpg

but why would you reload for one and not the other? My brother has a prc and it out runs my creedmoor in a big way once you go to the 147 and the 156 Berger. He was getting 2960 FPS with the box of factory with the 143 eldx.

if I am picking I go 300 prc because it does not have a belted case. Speaking ballistics your picking fly shit out of chili . Both will do about the same thing

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know bout you-all. When I get a new rifle I buy dies at the same time. I think people reload or they don't. That creed will be the little pea shooter of the two regardless.

Skullet

Established Member
I would be curious to hear from anyone on here that has actual first hand knowledge shooting either rifle. My plan would be to use the rifle for deer/elk.

I’d be willing to bet a fair number of people on here have experience shooting 300 Win.
I’m not so old school that I don’t think these new-era cartridges don’t serve a purpose. But, the 300 Win will do everything you need to kill an elk. It’ll do it with less recoil and probably allow you the opportunity to bum a few rounds from someone else in elk camp if you forget your ammo at home.
if you’re goal is to shoot steel at 2000 yards AND shoot elk get the 300 prc.
If you’re talking about a hunting rifle get the Win.

My two cents.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the “new” case designs are basically just a different way to skin a cat. They are all good, buy what makes you the happiest not what anyone else says is best. That’s my 2 cents for the day.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d be willing to bet a fair number of people on here have experience shooting 300 Win.
I’m not so old school that I don’t think these new-era cartridges don’t serve a purpose. But, the 300 Win will do everything you need to kill an elk. It’ll do it with less recoil and probably allow you the opportunity to bum a few rounds from someone else in elk camp if you forget your ammo at home.
if you’re goal is to shoot steel at 2000 yards AND shoot elk get the 300 prc.
If you’re talking about a hunting rifle get the Win.

My two cents.

what’s the recoil difference from what I have read and felt they are both the same. Shooting the 200 grain bullet and rifles that weigh the same. I don’t think the prc is that much ahead of the win mag in pure performance.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t like shooting my .300 much at all. Kicks like a mule .

- - - Updated - - -

For wacking gongs I’m gonna get some hornady A tip 176 grain to ease up on the shoulder from the 210s I have loaded now.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 300 win mag has a factory muzzle break so recoil is like a 243 BUT you have to wear ear protection. The muzzle blast will tear shit up like bug-deflectors and any shit in the pickup box is coming out if you use the box rail for a rest. And you will lose a lot of hunting buddies if they are standing in the wrong place,. It sets in the gun cabinet gathering dust now. My 22-250 out the kitchen window and 100 yard head shots for the last three years puts the venison in the deep freeze. The deer raise hell in my garden all season so pay back it is. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No thing to set up a 300Win Mag sizer so that you're head spacing off of the shoulder, or even better, off of the false-shoulder part way down the neck. I like to move as little brass as is necessary to hold the bullet and no more. Couple that with a firm seat against the bolt-face and I'm a happy camper as ES/SD are likely to be quite low. Single-digit SD's mean I've only gotta guess the wind as the Ele hasn't a choice but to be right.

In "normal" times for a non-reloader the 300Win Mag had a distinct advantage in the number of offerings of factory ammo. Anymore, who the heck knows how or when that situation will shake itself out or what it will look like when it does.

Find the rifle you like. You're splitting frog-hairs regarding velocity difference of Win Mag vs. PRC. Purely regarding the chamberings, there's no wrong answer.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 300 win mag has a factory muzzle break so recoil is like a 243 BUT you have to wear ear protection. The muzzle blast will tear shit up like bug-deflectors and any shit in the pickup box is coming out if you use the box rail for a rest. And you will lose a lot of hunting buddies if they are standing in the wrong place,. It sets in the gun cabinet gathering dust now. My 22-250 out the kitchen window and 100 yard head shots for the last three years puts the venison in the deep freeze. The deer raise hell in my garden all season so pay back it is. LB

“Out the kitchen window and 100 yard head shots”

You win killing post of the year my friend. I’d give you more than one thumbs up if I could.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks all for the responses. Seems like there really isn't much of a difference unless you are banging steel at 1000+. Hopefully the bullet/ammo factories can get back up to full capacity soon and dig us out of this low ammo crisis we are in. For me I think the bullet selection the 300 WM offers tips the scale.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
but why would you reload for one and not the other?
I wouldnt. If you read my post sgain my point was you can do very well with a Creedmoor if you reload, but if your a person that doesnt reload, and there are some, then get the PRC.
My brother has a prc and it out runs my creedmoor in a big way once you go to the 147 and the 156 Berger.
Thats to be expected.
He was getting 2960 FPS with the box of factory with the 143 eldx.
I think thats exactly what Hornady advertised. My son bought the Hells Canyon on 6.5 PRC. I think he likes it.

if I am picking I go 300 prc because it does not have a belted case. Speaking ballistics your picking fly shit out of chili . Both will do about the same thing
The now old 300 WSM isnt bad either, and it too has no belt. I think you can push the PRC further while factory 300 WSM are already about maxed out. The best I can do with my 300 WSM is 3040 fps with the Hornady 178 ELD-X. I tried the 200, but eith such a short neck the bullet takes up powder space. That and its a light gun that kicks you into last week.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76