ND Trax Map replacement

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have the Trax Map for my handheld GPS. Updates are no longer available. What is everyone going to as replacement for showing plots, state land , wpa and such. Liked the lake contour option also.
G&F maps doesn't work fast enough to keep up when traveling. Unless I'm missing some setting or something ?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
OnX is a good app for hunting ($30/yr), but no lake contours. However, it does have all land owners.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have the Trax Map for my handheld GPS. Updates are no longer available. What is everyone going to as replacement for showing plots, state land , wpa and such. Liked the lake contour option also.
G&F maps doesn't work fast enough to keep up when traveling. Unless I'm missing some setting or something ?

Crap and I bought western U S for $250.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paid under $20 for basemap, includes all 50 states for that price.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have the trax map on my handheld gps. I to really like the lake maps on it. What else has all the little lakes in North Dakota on it?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have onX, BaseMap, garmin Earthmate and gaia . They all work and have pros and cons . I would say onX is the simplest

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh? What do you mean by this? I've never had issues with the garmin G&F maps. What gps are you using?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh? What do you mean by this? I've never had issues with the garmin G&F maps. What gps are you using?

When using on phone, it doesn't track fast enough to keep up.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh your op said gps. Sounds like a phone issue more then map issue then. I've never relied on cell service in the sticks.

The ArcGIS streams the data and needs cell reception. However, the Avenza app allows you to download the data and work in bad cell areas.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ArcGIS streams the data and needs cell reception. However, the Avenza app allows you to download the data and work in bad cell areas.
May have to look into that Avenza app further. Thanks...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh your op said gps. Sounds like a phone issue more then map issue then. I've never relied on cell service in the sticks.
Yep, sorry I made that a little confusing. Google map keeps up but not G&F. Watched tutorial on how to download, confusing as hell to an electronically challenged person like myself. May get mini chip and try, if I can figure it out. Then I could use on gps, nuvi, and maybe Lowrance depth finder

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of them you can download to phone and use off line super easy

I did now get the Avenza app with the plots guide downloaded on phone. One step at a time for this dude, lol:;:rockit

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, next step. Trying to download lake maps from Avenza store. When searching from NDGF fishing waters, It pulls up "some" maps that could be downloaded, but not the complete list. Would like the option of tracking my travel on certain lakes and dropping pins on the " hotspot" to share with whomever. Not figuring this one out yet unless they aren't all available?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55