Trap gun

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Highschool trap is factory rounds and has speed requirements. Good luck with your choices.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son is 13. This is his second year in sporting clays. Was shooting a benelli super nova. Did ok. He was shooting something like 15 or 16 average. We did the scheels try before you buy event and shot a browning Citori CXT. Shot it very well. Less recoil and better able to swing the gun. Took his average to 21.5 this year. I was a little skeptical especially because of the price but was impressed with the improvement. The kid is obsessed with trap so this was a good buy.

My advice. Have him pick some up and swing them and what feels right. If you can shoot one even better. Good luck.
When you raise your average by 5.5 clays that is really good. My guess by the end of this next season he will raise his average another 1.5 clays.

Your giving your Son every chance to excel in the sport and thats great.

Way to go Dad

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boy is 15, we picked up a Franchi over under with a single barrel option with the raised rib 2 years ago. He shoots on average a 19/20. It was a buddies dads gun that he used for darn near 20 years when he was a state champion shooter. He quite shooting, and sold it to me for much less than he had into it.

Kid really loves it, but it is slightly big for him, so we did some slight mods to it that can be reversed as he grows. His high school coach is also a trap shooting fanatic, and travels all over shooting. Made a huge difference with him teaching these kids. They all seem to really improve after a few practices.

His gun is his prized possession, and was just happy to be able to get it for him.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago when i was a young lad (like 60 years ago) the neighbors would come over and all would shoot at clays by the horse barn. Had one person throw them up into the air.

My dad would use his pride and joy, a Parker, double barrel, 12 gauge with damascus barrel, 1906, grade 3 which is the one in the picture. Most every time my dad would win.

One day after all left my dad told me his secret to winning.
I feel the need to let all know on here that it is just not the gun but what he told me and i quote:

"One needs to know when to pull the trigger" and that is all it was to it. db

Attachments

DSC00104.jpg DSC00105.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gosh ,wish we had trap when I was in high school,big time fun,I help out at with high school teams at our local public range,300 kids enrolled,young gals too,our club has a ladies only day every month loaner shotguns and 22 cal pistols to shoot with instructions,good to see the excitement from these folks

- - - Updated - - -

Years ago when i was a young lad (like 60 years ago) the neighbors would come over and all would shoot at clays by the horse barn. Had one person throw them up into the air.

My dad would use his pride and joy, a Parker, double barrel, 12 gauge with damascus barrel, 1906, grade 3 which is the one in the picture. Most every time my dad would win.

One day after all left my dad told me his secret to winning.
I feel the need to let all know on here that it is just not the gun but what he told me and i quote:

"One needs to know when to pull the trigger" and that is all it was to it. db

Nice old shotgun and fond memories db,thanx for sharing

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Welcome To my club with monk and Cummings. Db

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx ,I'm a dumb ass...there I said it.

haha, far from.

Just stood out to me, as I spent most of my youth thinking volleyball was balleyball

- - - Updated - - -

I have also never known for certain if the saying is--
"its coming down the pipe", or "its coming down the pike"

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol or is it "your ears were ringing" or "your ears were burning"? either way someone was talking about ya.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's great today to see not only clay shooting but archery in the school and 4-H. Got grandkids in the program.

Was not involve in anything in high school as part of it i felt i was to be home pitching crab or whatever but i to would of love to have been in both programs.
In sports i am sure if i had played i would of put the time into practice and then sat on the bench during the game. But as in hockey and gymnastic everyone gets to be on a line or run down the mat and jump.
In trap or arrows everyone gets to shoot.

I really do feel that if i had been involve it would of changed my younger life for the positive. Maybe would of have enough courage and confidence to ask a lady for a date and kiss or whatever may have happen on one of those dates instead of just hearing about it. db

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man to be young again knowing what we know now,these young kids shooting trap is a great experience to watch,some are natural shooters quick hand eye coordination,big part is a clear mind not like us old farts not staying focused at the task at hand ,one target at-a-time,next thing ya know score keeper yells out "loss" after you pull the trigger,gotta keep your head straight to excel in trap,its not the gun most often its the nut pulling the trigger or releasing the trigger,either way the shotgun goes "boom"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74