Any short barrel shotgun guys out there?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my old 870 cut back from 28 inches to 23 inches. I liked it so well I bought the 870 in a synthetic with a 20 inch barrel. I bought that one to take along to Alaska since the Canadians frown on handguns. Cut your barrel off and you will never shoot a pheasant in the ass again.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
KY jelly’s propensity for short barrels has really been tempting me lately. 28” seems like an old musket.

catchindeers

21" barrel with modified choke is what I have shot for 20 years for upland game on my Benelli Montefeltro Super 90. Super light, quick to the draw, and never have blown a bird up. Also only like to shoot the High Velocity Lead Federal 2 3/4 in 4 shot.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone make a 12g autoloader with a 20-24” barrel? I s’pose I could always try a combat shotty but those are usually fixed choke pump guns.

ETA: Benelli makes an Ultra light with a 24” barrel but it’s $1500, only holds 2 rounds in the tube, and requires a minimum load of 1-1/8” to cycle reliably.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a short bbl as it is handy in the lay out blind I can’t shoot them for shit so back to the old 28” wing master. My father in law got a turkey 870 he loves for how easy it handles.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beretta 1301 competition youth model. 13” LOP, 21” barrel but a guy could get a replacement stock.

F2A4645F-9B77-494B-BC0F-DED67B23EAEF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Price is right on the A300 and 24” bbl is a lot less than 28” hmmmmmm...

2FDEA829-E4AA-424B-849A-BB8999FABE00.jpg

Silver

I've been shooting a 24" Benelli 12 gauge M1 since 1997. I shoot close to a case of shells through it at geese and pheasants every year. I love it! If I ever buy another 12 gauge shotgun.....I would try to find one as similar to this one as possible. For other reasons, I have had to use a 26" and/or a 28" gun on occasion....I had trouble getting the longer barrel in front of the bird.

Silver

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
870 youth model in 20 ga for those early season season birds. Then its back to my model 37 Ithaca Featherlight that I have shot for 60 years.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up on a 28" barrel, and learned to lead and shoot well with them. As I get older, I think I should go shorter. I use to be a good shot, no I'm having trouble swinging it, and I think a shorter barrel would help.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short bbls CAN cause poor follow through. Don't stop your swing until you see the break or the bird going down.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short bbls CAN cause poor follow through. Don't stop your swing until you see the break or the bird going down.

IMO, poor follow through is poor follow through. Barrel length won’t help if you’re behind your target. I typically know how and why I miss when I miss. Stopping the gun or not extending my lead because of range.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note: I’ve always thought its interesting how youth shotguns come with short barrels. I’ve always thought that a longer barrel is better for weight for recoil and it promotes better muzzle awareness/control, especially with a new shooter.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, poor follow through is poor follow through. Barrel length won’t help if you’re behind your target. I typically know how and why I miss when I miss. Stopping the gun or not extending my lead because of range.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note: I’ve always thought its interesting how youth shotguns come with short barrels. I’ve always thought that a longer barrel is better for weight for recoil and it promotes better muzzle awareness/control, especially with a new shooter.

I think they call some guns “youth” models just so you can tell your wife it’s for the kids. Like I tell my wife that the carry Glock models (42,43, 48) are “youth models.”

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
easy guyz,what works for some might not for others,concerning issues with short barrels for bigger guyz shooting them in the field or range is muzzel control,#1 then pattern #2 also for the bigger guyz shooting the short barrel shotgun becomes whippy,only advantage I can agree with in a layout, maybe....for geese coming in they take all day to lock up,plenty of time to shoulder your shotgun with longer barrels,back in the days of shooting lead longer barrels = longer range shots,better patters at long range..

PS. kentucky,spot on.

I remember back in the 80's when the feds outlawed lead shot for migratory birds,experts claimed that shooting steel shot with short barrel shotguns resulted in better patterns because of the high muzzel velocity,but fast forward to 2020 things have changed,we have non-toxic ammo that out performs lead and steel regardless of barrel length.

Last edited:

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone make a 12g autoloader with a 20-24” barrel? I s’pose I could always try a combat shotty but those are usually fixed choke pump guns.

ETA: Benelli makes an Ultra light with a 24” barrel but it’s $1500, only holds 2 rounds in the tube, and requires a minimum load of 1-1/8” to cycle reliably.

Berretta has the 1201F in 24" barrel and chokes. It has been my go to gun for 15 years and will shot 1oz loads all day long.
8009-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've always thought/heard/read a longer bbl helps swing through momentum advantage. Note, I DID say CAN not WILL. FWIW, I much prefer shorter shotguns.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they call some guns “youth” models just so you can tell your wife it’s for the kids. Like I tell my wife that the carry Glock models (42,43, 48) are “youth models.”

it's kinda like sprinkles on a boat... if we get caught out in bad conditions, it's way more likely we will be spotted in a sparkly boat...

it's a safety thing - and for the children...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55