TOURNAMENT FEE INCREASE....Game & Fish advisory meeting MONDAY 11/30/2020

Honored Member
Please attend the online meeting and let them know the increase in fishing tournament fees was not in the best interest of the state and was a misguided decision.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Au contraire I have expressed my extreme pleasure in this and hope they take it further by banning all fishing and hunting tournaments. :)

Honored Member
Au contraire I have expressed my extreme pleasure in this and hope they take it further by banning all fishing and hunting tournaments. :)

Your entitled to your opinion. However, their are multiple ways this negatively affects the state, towns, businesses and the individual angler that is backed up with facts. The fact that non tourney anglers are upset that one boat ramp on a certain body of water might be taken up for 6 hours on a given day twice a year does not constitute trying to price out tournaments that positively affect the state, towns, businesses and the tournament anglers that value the resource they are fishing for.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope someone will bring up raising the non resident fee for deer tags to over 500 dollars. Every other state including Idaho is. So why should we be so cheap. Raise non resident fishing license as well I say.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your entitled to your opinion. However, their are multiple ways this negatively affects the state, towns, businesses and the individual angler that is backed up with facts. The fact that non tourney anglers are upset that one boat ramp on a certain body of water might be taken up for 6 hours on a given day twice a year does not constitute trying to price out tournaments that positively affect the state, towns, businesses and the tournament anglers that value the resource they are fishing for.
I doubt the lack of tournaments would effect recreational spending in ND much at all. The hmongs are still going to come for the white bass whether there's a tourney or not. #$%^&>

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope someone will bring up raising the non resident fee for deer tags to over 500 dollars. Every other state including Idaho is. So why should we be so cheap. Raise non resident fishing license as well I say.
though I am not opposed to raising NR prices your statement is beyond false.
SD-$286
Wyoming $ 374

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that non tourney anglers are upset that one boat ramp on a certain body of water might be taken up for 6 hours on a given day twice a year does not constitute trying to price out tournaments.

Well, that sure sounds good, too bad it's not true. It's not 1 ramp 6hrs/day 2x/yr. It's every weekend on Sak and DL, often-times multiple tourneys/weekend, all summer long. So, every weekend you've got at least one ramp that the general public avoids because fishing for them is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not a wake-ridden boat race. Then toss in the fact that a goodly share of the tournament participants are pre-fishing for a week or more before the tournament and a ramp isn't tied up for 6hrs 2x/yr, it's tied up for weeks on end.

Tournaments have become their own worst enemy. You've pissed off the general fishing public to the point that we've decided to make our majority voice heard.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
though I am not opposed to raising NR prices your statement is beyond false.
SD-$286
Wyoming $ 374

- - - Updated - - -

Colorado-$401.83
Idaho-$351.75
Utah-$398

Yes North Dakota is only $250 but these 5 states are arguably better states for deer hunting. I would agree with raising the prices but raising it to $500 is never going to happen.

Last edited:

Honored Member
Well, that sure sounds good, too bad it's not true. It's not 1 ramp 6hrs/day 2x/yr. It's every weekend on Sak and DL, often-times multiple tourneys/weekend, all summer long. So, every weekend you've got at least one ramp that the general public avoids because fishing for them is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not a wake-ridden boat race. Then toss in the fact that a goodly share of the tournament participants are pre-fishing for a week or more before the tournament and a ramp isn't tied up for 6hrs 2x/yr, it's tied up for weeks on end.

You are right its not one ramp. I might not be exact but its usually one ramp per body of water on a given weekend. If a non tourney angler wants to use that ramp during a tourney 99.999% of the time the tournament will let them go in front of any tourney angler. Most tournament starts last less than 30 minutes. So boat wakes for 30 minutes at 730 a.m. is making people not enjoy their day? So their shouldnt be any boaters on days with more than a 10 mph wind on the water because the waves make them upset? To your next point guys prefishing for 6 days prior is holding up the ramps and crowding the water? What is the difference betweeen them prefishing or the guy taking vacation to fish in the middle of the week or the retiree that fishes the middle of the week and crowds the water? Also, the working class guy who decides he wants to use his vacation to prefish 6 days in the middle of the week is not allowed to use his hard earned vacation how he wants to because another group of guys doesnt like it? (Just trying to make a point not saying one guy is better than the next). So what do you say to the towns that host these tournaments and now are going to lose business? What do you say to hotel owners, gas station owners, grocery store owners, restaurant owners, and tackle store owners in Garrison, New Town, Williston, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Beulah, Hazen, Elgin, Glen Ullin, Mandan, Parshall, Pick City, Riverdale just to name a few that are going to lose business?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
70? You mean like $120k in some instances lol. It’s sheer lunacy. And the shitty part about what new boats are costing is its driving the price for cheaper used boats so high that even people with modest incomes can’t afford the cheap used ones. Ones that are safe for our bodies of water at least

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t waste my time attending anything put on during the advisory meetings. All they will do is advise you of more money that you must pay and new rules you must follow.

Honored Member
Sounds more then fair, if you want to put on a $100K tourney why bitch about a $10K fee? These clowns are spending $70K+ on a god damn boat FFS!

What is your reasoning or facts that you have that makes this fair? Why are tournament guys considered clowns in your eyes for spending however much they want on a boat? Not every tournament angler has a 70K to 100K boat. It sounds like your assumption is that every tournament angler has more money than they can handle. This law makes North Dakota the most expensive state to host a fishing tournament. Bring some facts to the table please.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious. How does this negatively affect the individual angler (all)? Or is this just individual tourney anglers and the prize payout?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55