Votes: 25 14.9%
  • 300 win mag

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Cannon

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on what I am doing. If I am out the kitchen window 22-250. 270 is my truck gun of choice.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It doesn't surprise me that the .270 Win. is the most popular. I've been shooting one for more than 50 years. Probably because my dad shot one as well. There are a lot of good calibers for deer and getting to be more all the time. What makes a caliber popular? Over time it has to have good ballistics but I also think it's a caliber that over time will do the job and have good access to shells. The .270 is one of those as are most others that are mentioned. Gun writers also play a big part. Jack O'Connor and his writing about he .270 certainly played a part in that gun's popularity. What's the draw with the 6.5 Creedmor? There are other calibers with similar ballistics, some even better, but it certainly seems to be the hot one of the newer choices.

As I mentioned earlier I have been shooting my .270 for many years but have recently developed a real liking to a .25-06 that I received a few years ago. One of the other things that has helped some calibers is the development of some really good bullets that make a real difference in killing power, especially for smaller calibers. Have fun with this discussion as it will never be settled and 10 years from now there will be some new calibers that are no b better than this list, they will just be new and we all like to try something new.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the draw with the 6.5 Creedmor? There are other calibers with similar ballistics, some even better, but it certainly seems to be the hot one of the newer choices.

1. Low-Recoil

2. They got the twist correct for the current as well as future crop of higher BC projectiles.

3. They got the chamber dimensions to mate up with magazine-box confines, even with long bullets you don't have to seat the bullets so deep that you're robbing case capacity.

4. Excellent support from the ammo manufacturers by providing "target" as well as "hunting" ammo that's not just "good enough" but exceptionally accurate.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
just get to be chums with some gun nuts

borrow a new caliber/gun/ammo each year

they come sighted in - you don't even have to go to the range

that's my new plan anyway

been working out quite nicely

year three next year
but what caliber to choose... hmmmm

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
just get to be chums with some gun nuts

RENT a new caliber/gun/ammo each year

they come sighted in - you don't even have to go to the range

that's my new plan anyway

been working out quite nicely

year three next year
but what caliber to choose... hmmmm

fixed it for you now that you’ve disclosed your evil plan.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are indeed lots to choose from in the current market. I like both my Smith and Wesson chambered in 25-06 and my Rem 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem Mag.

There is nothing in this state that I wouldn't shoot with either rifle.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The magic bullet theory in JFK’s assignation is indeed true because a 6.5 man bun was used.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything out to a 1000 yards, you close your eyes, pull the trigger, target down.

- - - Updated - - -

5E1AC31E-341F-47F9-956A-BE6C8EE307B5.jpeg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy I work with just picked up the 6.5 prc built by Christian brothers muzzle break, fiber stock, when he showed me that bullet I am almost tempted to take a closer look. But with a bigger 6.5 come a he hive which I don't think would like that

40aa1d09b158b6b7a6600819b7d0404434508420e22f495e9c6ad0e971e1902d_1.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A guy I work with just picked up the 6.5 prc built by Christian brothers muzzle break, fiber stock, when he showed me that bullet I am almost tempted to take a closer look. But with a bigger 6.5 come a he hive which I don't think would like that

I'm gonna have to grow my hair out but "He Hive" it is then because my new PRC shoots absolutely lights out! Tack driver is an understatement. It's apparently making me a better shooter as well since my tightest groups and longest kills all happen to have come with the PRC in my hands. Funny thing, buddy of mine made his longest kill with it also. So if you'd be so kind, please send me a DIY on the He-Hive so I can properly fit in.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guns are evil and hunting is devil's work....

Ban ban liberals have invaded out websites ban ;:;ban:;:lame:;::;:muahaha

- - - Updated - - -

400 yards is a chip shot, don't even need to spin the turret; that's just getting it warmed up :cool:!

He has nice vortex 3x9 but he says its actually too small for this gun especially in low light situations

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget about just going with the mullet kay

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been using my creedmoor for a decade now and every time I have pulled the trigger on a deer it has died. Shot my west river one at 400 on Saturday. One eldx through the front shoulders and dead. Looking for a bog 30 though just because

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62