Vinyl records

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got done watching a documentary on the rebirth of the vinyl records "Vinyl Nation" the documentary tells the story of how vinyl records effects the lives of those who prefer to listen to their favorite music and the ritual that so many of us generation x and older members so vividly remember.

I thought it was very well filmed, maybe it was trying to sell the idea of getting back into vinyl records but for me I will stick with my new digital format. Being able to listen to my favorite music through my phone that sends a Bluetooth signal to my Bose headphones.

Nonetheless its kind of a feel good let's support a local American business with a vintage nostalgic piece of art that can be beneficial to an American economy.
https://vinylnationfilm.com/
vinyl-nation-image.jpg

I have to say that I am actually not missing watching football this year and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have watched this documentary.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did not see the special. Have digital music for listening at work and at home when working. When relaxing and want to enjoy music, vinyl can be hard to beat. It has a "warmer sound". This was really apparent with Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell Album. Have both vinyl and digital. They sound very different. The down side of vinyl is getting up approximately every 22 minutes to flip the record. The hiss and pops do diminish from the experience, as does the occasional skip. Easier for future cultures to discover, experience as it can be directly translated to audio, not so with digital. Software changes quickly and may not be around in the near future.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong I grew up to vinyl records when I was kid then cassette tapes then cd now digital. Listening to led zeppelin, CCR, the who, oak ridge boys, hank Williams, zz top, the list in too numerous. Playing vinyl is a religion to some or a ritual to some in what it takes to listen to that record.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy that had 1000s of albums from the 60s and 70s most only played once when he made a cassette of the album still has them all ha ha ha

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
8 Tracks, almost blew oatmeal through my nose. They were the worst, jumping between tracks, tape getting screwed up.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, have to stay historically correct. LP's, 45's, and 78's... then to LP's and 8-tracks (click click)... then to LP's and cassettes... then to cd's... now digital. I tossed my cassette player and turn table, but kept the receiver/amp and equalizer. Eight years ago I purchased a turn table that can also record music to .mp3 format. Haven't even opened that box up yet! I should do that and play some vinyl as I still have every album I've ever grew up with... Probably 250 albums from the later 70's and into the 80's.

I know of a guy, who's a few years older than I, that bought TWO of every Beatles albums. I opened one of each and kept the other sealed albums in a safe. Can you imagine of those price valuations today? An unopened Beatles album?????? I wonder if he still owns those or finally sold them off to a dealer.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife's stepfather had a 4 track player in his boat on Metigoshe in the '60s and '70s! Don't know if we have any of the tapes in the cabin or not.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 4-track or a 4-channel? Back in the 70's there was a sound system upgrade called quadraphonic, which would make possible to separate sound through four separate speakers. It never really grabbed on, here in America, so it sputtered out. My brother bought quadraphonic stereo equipment and albums while he was assigned in Japan during the Vietnam conflict.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, have to stay historically correct. LP's, 45's, and 78's... then to LP's and 8-tracks (click click)... then to LP's and cassettes... then to cd's... now digital. I tossed my cassette player and turn table, but kept the receiver/amp and equalizer. Eight years ago I purchased a turn table that can also record music to .mp3 format. Haven't even opened that box up yet! I should do that and play some vinyl as I still have every album I've ever grew up with... Probably 250 albums from the later 70's and into the 80's.

I know of a guy, who's a few years older than I, that bought TWO of every Beatles albums. I opened one of each and kept the other sealed albums in a safe. Can you imagine of those price valuations today? An unopened Beatles album?????? I wonder if he still owns those or finally sold them off to a dealer.

I know a guy that did the same thing, but with EVERY album he ever purchased. He worked at a record store back in the day. Pure gold.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I to this day will on occasion put on the turntable Fleetwood Mac's album Rumors, and just relax with a Manhattan and feel the same as I did 40+ years ago. Love it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yes juanr Stevie nicks has one of those voices made for analog signal :;:exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Is vinyl a fad again maybe but we can all agree on that every record is made in the USA and sold by American businesses i think that is a noble cuase to consider supporting.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 4-track or a 4-channel? Back in the 70's there was a sound system upgrade called quadraphonic, which would make possible to separate sound through four separate speakers. It never really grabbed on, here in America, so it sputtered out. My brother bought quadraphonic stereo equipment and albums while he was assigned in Japan during the Vietnam conflict.

4 Track: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo-Pak

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I to this day will on occasion put on the turntable Fleetwood Mac's album Rumors, and just relax with a Manhattan and feel the same as I did 40+ years ago. Love it.

9 yrs old and drunk again?

LOL baZINGa.. Sorry.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
9 yrs old and drunk again?

LOL baZINGa.. Sorry.

I was 10, and also only buzzed...haha

Not meaning the booze, just meaning that when I sit back and listen to an old album, I am quaintly swept back to my youth as I first heard most of this classic music that I still love today

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI JaunR, on PPB1 there is a Stevie Nicks 24k Gold on at 8:30 tonight.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ahhhh....the memories! Foghat, Boston, The Cars, CCR, Kansas, AC/DC, .38 Special, Toto, Loverboy, Head East, Zepplin, Supertramp, Def Leopard, Doobie Brothers, Queen, Foreigner, Van Halen. So many more!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was 10, and also only buzzed...haha

Not meaning the booze, just meaning that when I sit back and listen to an old album, I am quaintly swept back to my youth as I first heard most of this classic music that I still love today

Nah, I know. I was just funnin'.

I am apparently the same age as you. I remember that old music too. I think when I hear it, the biggest thing that comes to mind if listening to American Top 40, while washing cars in the driveway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55