Ice Conditions OAHE

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seeing much other than shad in the fish? Good to see they have food. Curious how the ice fishing will be as past big shad years equalled crappy fishing during the winter. The reservoirs in SD i fish are shad based and one that die off starts around 34 degree water temp things get tougher.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed minnows and shad in them. We only got 2 yesterday. My brother in Mobridge got a 3 man limit (12) and I heard that a couple boats that put in in Beaver did really good. 4 man and a 2 man limit with a lot of 18 inch fish. My brother was bragging how they had one over 20 and a bunch of 16 - 18 inch fish. I think I'm going to pull the dock out at Yates today or tomorrow, so if it gets used again (which I doubt) You'll have to dock. I don't want it to freeze in.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
These temperatures are just insane warm. Record highs today, and the lake still hanging on to the skin ice. 32.7 degee water temp Sunday, it wants to freeze. But at 8 pm its STILL 55!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/aWYHheqUcg0

- - - Updated - - -

I tried posting this from my phone before. Should work now. 1st trip ever in December....did ok

- - - Updated - - -

Just went for my morning drive....STILL WIDE OPEN WATER!! Thought for sure it would skin over. Go get em Boyz they're biting

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wind kept it open again last night. No boats out today though...

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots of ATV/UTV being driven on West central MN Lakes. Where will be lots more in the next day or so. Temps down in single digits next few days.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wind went down overnight and it skinned over good last night. Tried to step on it at the ramp, and broke it. 1 inch at best. We'll see how thick this skin gets now, as it should make a little ice over the next few days. Gonna be a little hairy I think as its suppose to warm up after tomorrow. I think if we can keep this skin and no waves we could get some real ice.....fingers crossed!!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope it gets iced over soon. I was hoping the east side of Beaver Bay would have good ice by now.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That east side is a possibility now. Someone should check it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went down to ramp today, and walked out about 15 ft. where it was maybe knee deep. Didn't break through. It was crap ice too all the stuff that blew in then froze. Went to south side of town with a bar. Walked out about 20 feet and chipped a hole. Same crap ice for the first inch then looks like solid 2 inches under it. Might get brave enough to walk out past the crap ice and chip into the good clear ice. But I bet the east side of Beaver is doable....BE CAREFUL!!

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Mobridge tourney is going to be hairy at best, temps look mild into first week in Jan.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was on beaver bay west ramp 4” solid clear. I don’t venture out to far as no one else really did either I would advise anyone to stay off the main lake channel area as it would not be safe! It was all iced over but many pressure cracks and ice thickness will vary! Ice production will be very slow with unseasonably nicer weather we have been having!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the video of? North side of Yates?

Yes. I was standing on the big cliff on the North side of "Golf Hill"

- - - Updated - - -

With the temperatures and rain, I'm not going out on it again until after Wednesday night. Maybe that will tighten it up. The ice is thick enough IMO, 4 inches maybe 5 in places. I think Beaver may be better ice as it was shielded from the wind when it was blowing right before it skinned over for the last time. The stuff in the video is where all the broken ice blew in, then froze. The stuff on the edge looks like a deck of cards on its side. IDK, I just wish it would get below 0 for about a week!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chipped a hole yesterday. It was 5 inches of good ice. There are some bad cracks in the ice and the little bit of snow caught a lot of dirt.

Some guys took ATVs across Cattail bay and are fishing edge as I type.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy person was fishing water plant here yesterday. Day before it was wide open. It wind blown chunk garbage ice

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74